CPU/Mobo Suggest 785G mobo & CPU

Hmm one doesn't need more than 4GB if there's no utility for that and I don't see good (read tight timings) 8GB DDR3 prices get cheaper in the next 2 years. Manufacturers these days do the trick of phasing out older mobo models and intentionally make it unsuitable for working with newer CPUs. Though AM3 sockets, I'm sure most of the boards will not get the BIOS update to accommodate the future CPUs.

dvijaydev46 said:
Hmm one doesn't need more than 4GB if there's no utility for that and I don't see good (read tight timings) 8GB DDR3 prices get cheaper in the next 2 years.

Remember moore's law ? Just 2 years ago 2GB memory was considered more than enough for everybody and 4GB was niche. Now everyone has 4GB. With more parallel threads available due to more cores, multitasking becomes the norm and then memory obviously will need to be upgraded.

Also, AM3 will improve resale value of the motherboard.

Manufacturers these days do the trick of phasing out older mobo models and intentionally make it unsuitable for working with newer CPUs. Though AM3 sockets, I'm sure most of the boards will not get the BIOS update to accommodate the future CPUs.

Well, most AM2 boards now support the AM3 Athlon II X2 series CPUs after BIOS update. I doubt that statement.

3 years ago 1GB kingston value RAM was 5k.. remember?

We hardware enthusiasts have 4GB, the rest 95% of the people still have 1GB and a few 2GB, did you know that?

Not that most AM2 boards support AM3 CPUs. They are only a few.

Phenom II X2 550 has better chances of unlocking as compared to X3 720,also it is a black edition, so unlocked multiplier and better oc (mine stable at 3.6Ghz with 4 cores on default voltage)Comparing Athlon to Phenom is like comparing dual cores to core2 duo.Also New 785g motherboards are coming with sb750 and hd4200 is a beast at oc as far as Hd3200 is concerned.Just google to verify the facts

rahul5 said:
Phenom II X2 550 has better chances of unlocking as compared to X3 720,also it is a black edition, so unlocked multiplier and better oc (mine stable at 3.6Ghz with 4 cores on default voltage)

Justify statement please. Simple statistical logic itself indicates that its easier to find a SINGLE working disabled core than TWO working disabled cores. Besides, in starting to boost sales AMD supplied more of fully working cores. Now the unlocks are less stable at overclocking.

And X3 720 is ALSO a black edition :cool2:

Comparing Athlon to Phenom is like comparing dual cores to core2 duo.

Athlon II X4 vs Phenom II X2 Black Editon

1. Same architecture.
2. Same instruction sets.
3. Similar power consumption.
4. Double amount of threads.
5. No L3 cache.
6. No black edition.

Well you get double cores and sacrifice an unlocked multiplier and 6mb of L3 cache. Unless you will be EXCLUSIVELY gaming, its the Athlon II X4 which is gonna win. Google for Athlon II X4 620 vs Phenom II X2 550 Black Edition.

Also New 785g motherboards are coming with sb750

Very less 785G boards come with SB750. Number countable in fingers. ALL 785G boards under 6K budget come with SB710 FYKI. Just check in online stores to know what I mean.

and hd4200 is a beast at oc as far as Hd3200 is concerned.Just google to verify the facts

Who ever said HD3200 ? I said HD3300. It only looses by small margin on overclocking. More importantly, the IGPU is gonna be useless once the spankin new HD5650/HD5670 comes into the motherboard. Its only for sustaining the rig till the real GPU comes in. So it doesn't matter if he looses 0.5 FPS if he overclocks IGP to max frequency.

i am looking to upgrade to a quad core phenom/athlon x4

i would like to know how good the biostar boards really are.

some say they are terrible---i am more inclined towards the asus m4a785-stdv-evo or the asus m4a78t-e--790gx .

even when i called prime today morning they said don't go in for biostar bcoz of the bad performance/service issues/reliability,etc

sunny27 said:
i am looking to upgrade to a quad core phenom/athlon x4
some say they are terrible---i am more inclined towards the asus m4a785-stdv-evo or the asus m4a78t-e--790gx .
even when i called prime today morning they said don't go in for biostar bcoz of the bad performance/service issues/reliability,etc

You can't judge a board by its brand. Look for individual reviews. I recommend seeing the newegg.com page for all boards where there are customer reviews.

Biostar for example was quite popular once upon a time. Then it faded into obscurity. Revived interest when they launched cheap AMD 700-series chipset motherboards. Their biggest achievement is the Biostar TPower i45, considered to be the BEST mainstream overclocking motherboard ever released for LGA775 CPUs.

Right now I guess their AMD Motherboards are of decent quality since they seem to sell well and not many complaints are being made against them.

Hey Shaplus,
The actual difference in DDR2 Vs DDR3 is not much, see this review by tweaktown. You see there is a difference but not so much that you can drool over + the cost factor involved is prohibitive. DDR2 will be certainly here at a decent price for another 2 years or so, then it will get expensive later on due to DDR3 becoming more mainstream and affordable.

I don't know why you are bothering about 785G mobo's anyway. It's got a better onboard GPU but you aren't gonna be using it, so why bother. I bought an Gigabyte Gigabyte GA-MA78G-US2H (780G) chipset mobo because....
1. I really don't need a better featured board. The features on my current mobo are more than enough.
2. I'm not going to overclock inspite of my CPU having that capability.
3. I went for Micro ATX simply because a full blown ATX would just be waste of money for my use.
4. Yes I do like gaming, therefore have bought an NVIDIA GTX260 which is running fine, but needed to buy a L-shaped SATA connections as the card wouldn't fit. Consider that before buying a GPU, check the length of it out. The damn 260GTX is a looonnnggg card...simply ridiculous.
5. Don't forget that normal ATX casing like iball or VIP brands are not sufficient for long cards. AM using Coolermaster Elite 330 which lets me fit long cards in it.
6. I've seen that every 2 years or so I make a purchase or upgrade as I see hiccups with older computer components coming about, due to dust etc. I have a lot of dust at my place. My house is bang infront of the highway. Therefore I know that I will look into most probably Intel config as they are ruling the roost right now and will definitely get cheaper later 2 years down the line, unless of course AMD should come out with some mad beasts that will steal the Intel crown, it all remains to be seen.

Hope this thought process helps in purchasing.

sunny27 said:

some say they are terrible---

No issues with Biostar.

sunny27 said:
i am more inclined towards the asus m4a785-stdv-evo or the asus m4a78t-e--790gx .

Asus is really bad at releasing periodical BIOS updates. Except for their high end boards, i'm sure you will be waiting for quite a some time for any new BIOS release. Warranty of Asus is honored by unfortunately Rashi.

sunny27 said:

performance = any other brand

Service - good

issues - WTH

reliability - Good.

I think Prime didn't have Biostar boards in stock, and so they would have told you to buy whatever they had. As a Biostar user, i would recommend it.

AMD started with X3 because of faulty core but with time it has reduced considerably.I haven't encountered a unlocking X2 550 BE .As for 785 boards having sb710 my Gigabyte Board MA 785GM -US2h as per Gigabyte has SB 710 but the Board I got had SB750,i had similar experience with Biostar TA785GE-128M .All I said was out of experience and not figures.

After reading reviews decided to buy X4 620 CPU but still confused:S what mobo should i buy.Is there any mobo with both DDR2 and DDR3 slots:p???I have tight budget of about 6-7k for mobo:).Also what are major differences b/w 785G and 790GX mobos in detail please:eek:hyeah:???At present im not going to buy discrete GPU as many suggested to wait till DX 11 becomes more available.

shaplus said:
After reading reviews decided to buy X4 620 CPU but still confused:S what mobo should i buy.Is there any mobo with both DDR2 and DDR3 slots:p???I have tight budget of about 6-7k for mobo:).Also what are major differences b/w 785G and 790GX mobos in detail please:eek:hyeah:???At present im not going to buy discrete GPU as many suggested to wait till DX 11 becomes more available.

Google for difference.

But at that budget, be sure to get a CROSSFIREX capable board.

DDR3 as I said will make your rig more future-proof and increase resale value for a small premium which is worth paying. Just an extra 1K on RAM and you have piece of mind 2 years later.

hi, will a MSI 785G-E65 be able to handle a PII 955 with overclocking to 3.8? Read somewhere its not rated for higher than 125W TDP?? and does it have a sideport memory?

TIA

MSI 785GM-E65 does support cpus upto 140W and you should be able to overclock your 955 to 3.8GHZ, atleast mobo should not be the limit. Make sure you have got a good cpu cooler and it would be safer not to go beyond 1.5V(Vcore).

790gx chipset with amd phenom II x2 550 BE
894888.png

CPU-Z Validator 3.1

core unlocks with ACC and CPU VDD to 1.4 and NB to 1.35

Back