Monitors Suggest a 19" or 20" widescreen LCD.

Suggest a 20" or 19" widescreen LCD.

Consider me someone completely new to LCD's who wants to get a 20" or even a 19" screen.
The 19" screens should be limited to those with decent native resolutions only.

What are the main things I should be looking out for on the specifications side? Native resolution, response time and contrast, that's it or anything else?
I am guessing colours and IQ will be subjective.

The budget is 7k.

Thanks.

saumilsingh said:
I keep reading about some problem with the connections panel and stand on the 2033SW+. What's that all about?

Amen to that! The new lavender series have the connection ports underneath the panel - a bit hard for the ports to be accessed if you've the stand fixed. Else you may have to connect the cables and then fix the stand. And some may not like the curvy designs over the sharp-edged ones like the ones offered by Acer, Dell in general.

The Dell E1910 is a very good alternative.

Things you should be looking for - the native resolution (1440x900 for most 19" widescreen displays), contrast ratio (NOT the Dynamic contrast ratio but the static one since the former is a well bloated figure typically in 10k's:1 and is a bad marketing gimmick!), connectivity offered (DVI & VGA mostly; HDMI doesn't generally make it to 19"ers). Response time is not a concern since most displays in the market ATM should have a 5ms response time usually for all TN panel displays.

Donno about dell 20 incher. Should be good.
The stand issue is a minor one. Just remember to apply a bit of petroleum jelly while fixing the stand and follow the instructions on the box.

Listen to this man!
Get the Dell E1910
Gannu said:
Amen to that! The new lavender series have the connection ports underneath the panel - a bit hard for the ports to be accessed if you've the stand fixed. Else you may have to connect the cables and then fix the stand. And some may not like the curvy designs over the sharp-edged ones like the ones offered by Acer, Dell in general.

The Dell E1910 is a very good alternative.

Things you should be looking for - the native resolution (1440x900 for most 19" widescreen displays), contrast ratio (NOT the Dynamic contrast ratio but the static one since the former is a well bloated figure typically in 10k's:1 and is a bad marketing gimmick!), connectivity offered (DVI & VGA mostly; HDMI doesn't generally make it to 19"ers). Response time is not a concern since most displays in the market ATM should have a 5ms response time usually for all TN panel displays.

Looks like it's a tie between the Dell E1910 and the Samsung 2033SW+.
Any more suggestions or are there just not that many good products in the 19"/20" bracket?

One question about the E1910. It's says here under Tech Specs that the VGA cable is attached to the monitor.
Does that mean it will be a permanent vestegial tail forever as I will be using the DVI cable? Or can it be disconnected?

saumilsingh said:
One question about the E1910. It's says here under Tech Specs that the VGA cable is attached to the monitor.
Does that mean it will be a permanent vestegial tail forever as I will be using the DVI cable? Or can it be disconnected?

LOL no. :p

Here're the connectors on the panel -

167714b5a6e87eee6f.jpg

listen to me avoid Dell as warranty & backlight bleeding will make you cry

buy a BenQ G2020HD or Samsung 2033SW+

if you are hell bent on Dell buy a E1910, 1909W or ST2010

I would prefer BenQ first then Samsung

don't come crying if Dell ruins your experience

Regarding installing the Sam 2033sw+ onto the stand : Two days back I returned one to Prime (*) so I had to wait (at the RMA centre) while they checked/tested the monitor. When they were installing the monitor onto the stand, the guy (young,inexperienced) was having a tough time. I remarked that it was quite difficult and told him to see the instructions on the box - I thought that was the easiest way. One of the senior guys at Prime said "aare, eisa nai - ooper pakdo aur push karo". He came over, held the monitor with one hand and placed the other hand on the center of the top of the frame and pushed it into the stand, the stand was on a table. The monitor slipped into the stand at the first try - needed one strong push that's all. No need to rock the frame from side to side or anything. I was like ... wtf !

(*) http://www.techenclave.com/pc-peripherals/samsung-2033sw-ati-4350-1600x900-resolution-157405.html

i got a dell widescreen 18.5" and benq true 19". benq was cheaper too. i prefer benq. for some reason i never managed to calibrate dell monitor, felt uncomfortable to my eyes.

microsoft said:
what the hell yaar..

BenQ gives for 5 yrs or what?

Dell gives 5yrs but after 30 days Dell gives repaired stuff in RMA & it takes a lot of phone calls
BenQ give 3ys but with BenQ you just go to the service center to drop the lcd & you get a new one in a few days

Hello guys.. I have a similar query..

I intend to purchase dell st2010 which costs 7.5 k (20 inches). My query is

1) The monitor supports only VGA and HDMI.. Since it does not have DVI input.. what is the disadvantage?

2) saw earlier poster saying he rejected a monitor because it has 16:10 aspect ratio.. why was that?

2) Any other suggestion for a monitor within 7.5k?

Doubleseven said:
Hello guys.. I have a similar query..

I intend to purchase dell st2010 which costs 7.5 k (20 inches). My query is
1) The monitor supports only VGA and HDMI.. Since it does not have DVI input.. what is the disadvantage?

2) saw earlier poster saying he rejected a monitor because it has 16:10 aspect ratio.. why was that?

2) Any other suggestion for a monitor within 7.5k?

1) no
2) because 16:9 gives lesser or no black bars in movies
3) BenQ G2020HD

Back