PC Peripherals Suggest a 20" Dell

observer

Disciple
Presently I am using a Samsung 793MB. I was ruminating about switching over to LCD monitor. My useage would be movies (dvd rips), editing my miniDVs & snaps, browsing (with stock tickers), office apps etc. I do minimum gaming. I was thinking of going in for 20" Dell.
I thought of 20" over 22" because;
A. I would save some money
B. I do not have a very good graphics card, I may not be able to match with the resolution of the higher end monitor. And do I need all that resolution for my needs?
C. I am gonna buy LCD or Plasma TV, may be after a year or so.

So if my reasoning is good enough, please suggest me a good 20" Dell (or even any other brand) for my purpose. I would prefer it to be under 13K.

Thanks

observer said:
Presently I am using a Samsung 793MB. I was ruminating about switching over to LCD monitor. My useage would be movies (dvd rips), editing my miniDVs & snaps, browsing (with stock tickers), office apps etc. I do minimum gaming. I was thinking of going in for 20" Dell.

B. I do not have a very good graphics card, I may not be able to match with the resolution of the higher end monitor. And do I need all that resolution for my needs?

So if my reasoning is good enough, please suggest me a good 20" Dell (or even any other brand) for my purpose. I would prefer it to be under 13K.

Thanks

Good reasoning btw; :)

The E207WFP would be the best bet for that budget; Besides u'll have to avail few discounts from the Dell rep before u fall for that price; Its going to get a lot cheaper [~12.5k nett].

It has the same res as that of a native 22incher [1680x1050] but for the given real estate, anything would look much better than on a typical 22icnher;

Dell E207WFP Flat Panel Product Details

gannu said:
Good reasoning btw; :)

It has the same res as that of a native 22incher [1680x1050] but for the given real estate, anything would look much better than on a typical 22icnher;

I could not understand your viewpoint? Did you mean the E207WFP could be better than an entry level 22 incher?

SP2008WFP could be above my budget, but how is it compared to E207WFP for my requirements? The contrast ratio in SP2008WFP is numerically very high. What is the advantage?

Thanks

observer said:
I could not understand your viewpoint? Did you mean the E207WFP could be better than an entry level 22 incher?

Exactly, say a E228WFP; :)

SP2008WFP could be above my budget, but how is it compared to E207WFP for my requirements? The contrast ratio in SP2008WFP is numerically very high. What is the advantage?

Better contrast ratio implies better reproduction of colour & vividness [in simple words]

But the SP series offer a USB hub of 4 USB ports and a gloss finish for the screen compared to the matte finish offered by the normal ones [which may not appeal to some of them cos it reflects light from all sources and require proper placement of the LCD].

observer said:

Thanks

errr...i did NOT get the reasoning :p

Plz keep in mind that dell 20" n 22" ers share the exact SAME resolution :bleh:

So how is a 20" better here? ;)

The money part, maybe, but theres not much of a diff.

If ur on a budget n want lower resolution, consider a 19" ~10k.

techie_007 said:
errr...i did NOT get the reasoning :p

Plz keep in mind that dell 20" n 22" ers share the exact SAME resolution :bleh:

Exactly; Perhaps u forgot to read the whole thread; my 2nd post mentions that clearly; :D

So how is a 20" better here? ;)

So will an HD movie at 720p be more stretched in this one or in the 22incher irrespective of the common res of 1680x1050?? [Hint: Use common sense :p]

Another one; Crysis - Will the game run smoother in this or in the 22incher which has more diagonal length than the 20incher?? ;)

Its ~ to Viewsonic 19inchers which has the same res; :)

The money part, maybe, but theres not much of a diff.

The 20incher can easily fit his budget; :)

techie_007 said:

Should I go for lower resolution? Will it meet my requirements?

Also, I had tried a friends Viewsonic 1912 (I do not know the exact series), movies were looking very bad. Dunno if it is because it's a technology issue.

gannu said:
Exactly; Perhaps u forgot to read the whole thread; my 2nd post mentions that clearly; :D

So will an HD movie at 720p be more stretched in this one or in the 22incher irrespective of the common res of 1680x1050?? [Hint: Use common sense :p]

Another one; Crysis - Will the game run smoother in this or in the 22incher which has more diagonal length than the 20incher?? ;)

Its ~ to Viewsonic 19inchers which has the same res; :)

The 20incher can easily fit his budget; :)

I DID read ur comments :p

Bout stretchin n common sense, i dunno ;)

But gaming, if its same res, fps will be same, so how is it better to play on a 20"?

Maybe u refer to fact that lesser fps over smaller screen will look better? :ashamed:

But howz that possible. 25fps is still 25fps at the same res, no matter the screen is 20" or 22"

Mind you, I havent used a 20 so wouldnt know, but would be interested in the reasoning behind this :ashamed:

techie_007 said:
Mind you, I havent used a 20 so wouldnt know, but would be interested in the reasoning behind this :ashamed:

Aah, so better do that first;

Having seen it on 20, 22 and 24inchers I know the difference; :bleh:

Hope the OP has got the point; :)

^^ Yeah and the LG 22" WTQ is going for about 12.8k which is a good buy. It is one of the few monitors that have got RTC (Response Time Compression) of 2 ms which makes for smooth gaming.

I have this monitor and I feel it is quite good. Using it with my Xbox 360 and the games are simply awesome on this. I would not recommend a glossy screen unless you can be quite flexible on your monitor location. I have a glossy laptop screen and it gets irritating if there are reflections on it.

Dude, then settle for the 19inchers like the Dell E198WFP [for 10k approx];

20 and 22 inchers appeal mostly to gamers and folks who watch 720p HD; :)

Back