Camera Suggest a DigiCam - Budget: 10k

well my friend needs to buy a digicam and has decided upon a tight budget of 10k, not more than that...its going to be his 1st one so a simple point n shoot it should be...neither he nor myself are much into photography and stuff so please suggest accordingly...:ashamed:
since he wants to buy it asap please suggest something which we can readily find in the market and not the one which is gonna be launched or so...:p
waiting for your invaluable suggestions...TIA :)

10k is a good budget to get a good camera these days...and u do get a lil more than the point n shoot thing in the 10k range as well......

Here would be my choice ....

Canon Powershot A590IS -
Cost : 10.5k .....
if 500 Rs. can be extended.....there will be NOTHING like it in the price range......

8 MP / 4x Optical / Image Stabilisation / 2.5" LCD / Wide Angle / Face Detect / 1 GB Card / .......etc etc...

The A590IS is what should be bought at that price range...and after all its the legendary - CANON....10.5k is the official price which will also get u the 2 yr warranty from Canon India.....

you can also get the panasonic sub 10k range cameras ,but i have heard the after sales is uber crap.........actually dont bother about anything else , just ask ur pal to get the canon.

virtua_pirate said:
^^^ thnx for the suggestion...i think he can or rather will extend the budget by 500 bucks...any more suggestions are also welcome...:)

I got my 590IS @ 9.5K with bills and warranty Of course, I had to buy batteries, charger and case later. Got 1GB card with cam.

got my nikon S51 w/o wifi for 8k inclusive of 2gb highspeed mem card +case .

its 8mp , has optical stabilization.. nice huge lcd.. the only bad part is the battery... lasts for about 150 pics ... but will buy a spare battery.. otherwise a nice cam to serve for point and shoot purposes... got a 960IS also... but no comparison in quality when i compare 8mp to 8mp from both cams...(canon is better)

Well, I am in the market for a sub 10K P&S too, hence I think I can answer that question. :D

Your choices are Canon 470 - doesn't have IS, but has very good image quality, a Digic III processor, 3.4X optical zoom, 7MP sensor. A good basic P&S. I just bought this for 5.4K from Indiaplaza.in.

Canon 590IS - has more controls, customisations. Has IS, 4X optical zoom, 8MP sensor.

Canon 720IS - the most expensive of three. Has IS and 6X optical zoom and 19 shooting modes. It has an 8MP sensor.

All these cams are powered by 2 AA-size batteries. To go with my cam, I bought this charger. Thought the cells have 800mAh rating, I already have this set in my home (using it for my S2IS) and am very satisfied with the performance.

If you want to go for Fujifilm, you can also try the S800/S700. Find a separate thread dedicated to S800 in the same section as this thread.:hap2:

Hope this helps,

Abhi.

Have a look at the Canon 860IS/SD870 if you're looking for a P&S, has got a nice 28mm wide range lens and looks great ... though it maybe a bit over your budget

get the 720IS if you can stretch the budget, else stick with the 590IS, for sure, coz there aint any match for it in this price segment

virtua_pirate said:
well, my friend has decided to go for 590IS...thnx everyone for your invaluable suggestions...:D

very nice , all the best to him....and all the best to u tooo , u get to play with it tooo.....:rofl:

Back