Suggest a Digital Camera for around 5k.

ravihpa

Disciple
Hi guys,

My brother-in-law is very much interested in buying a digital camera for his personal life. Now, he's much more interested in those Cybershots, and his budget for the same is around 5 to 5.5k MAX.

So, please suggest a good VFM camera at this price range. Brand doesn't matter so far as the quality of the pics is AWESOME :D

Thank you so much in advance. Desperately waiting for a reply :)

I have used A3000IS and its not good at picture quality, same goes for A3100IS. You better go for Canon A495. Its best camera one can buy in this price range. Review you can check here and if you want some sample of picture quality I can send it to you. -

Canon PowerShot A490 / A495 budget point-and-shoot camera review: design, controls, lens, stabilisation, screen, menus, drive modes | Cameralabs

eBay India: Canon Powershot A495 + 4GB SD + Charger + 2yr Warranty (item 130401321501 end time 14-Mar-2011 20:04:54 IST)

iirc, all these basic canon cameras share the same sensor and processor so Image quality should be the same.

The a3100is has image stabilisation which is very basic and important+ Lion battery + 2.7" LCD+ looks better+ programmable shooting mode.

Edit: I own one :D

Okay, now this is confusing :p So what should I go for ?

Also, I did a search on Ebay, "CyberShot" and put the price range to max 6k, and here's what it showed me....

Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-W510 Digital Camera + Warranty

Rs. 5390 - 10% coupon Rs. 539 = Rs. 4851

What would you guys suggest ?

Also, any other brands ?

Thank you so much guys. Really appreciate all the help :)

Edit: Or how about this...

Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-W530 Digital Camera + Warranty

Rs. 6250 - 10% coupon Rs. 625 = Rs. 5625

Edit II: I just realized, both of these are available with only 6 months dealer's warranty So I presume these are grey items from the grey market, so what would you guys suggest ?

Dude, if your BIL has already made up his mind about the sony cybershots then it would be better he gets that, nothing would give him more pleasure if that is what he craves for.

anyway, you asked for the camera with the best picture quality and canon a3100is is it, under $200 the best. However It has a narrower lens and video recording quality is not as good as some of the other camera's in this price range.

I guess, more peeps would post here if you are more specific about what you want and what features are more important!

And, why would you want to buy a dealer warranty camera? when you would get 2 year warranty on bill paid cam. Its your choice though. Nobody can help you if you are not specific on what you are confused about.

I would suggest you do more research and narrow down on what you want, anyway, in this price range most of the digital cameras give crappy output.

Thanx JPL....for your input. Well, he isn't that persistent about the Cybershots. He's just not well informed :)

And I just made a search of "Cybershot" on ebay just for the heck of it :p Wanted to check out what TE members think about these models.

Well, we aren't interested in any specific features per se. Just want the camera to take good quality pictures, like family photos, picnic photos, travel shots, etc., :) and that's about it. He's gonna take lots of photos and preserve them as memories on DVDs :)

So, I guess there is nothing better than Canon A3100IS in this budget?

Any more input is highly appreciated. Thanx guys :)

Why not get the Cybershot W510??

It is a good deal on ebay when you apply a coupon. BTW, I have a 5% coupon that I don't intend to use in case you need it.

Back