Suggest a good air cooler under Rs.15k

Ssreek

Adept
Looking for an air cooler, for a room of approx. 180 sq feet.
Initially thought of buying AC, but we are planning to move out after couple of months, so not a good decision to buy AC now.

Regarding features:
  • Need something that can last for a while and not rust quickly.
  • We should be able to remove the pads and clean the inside and dry it when necessary (we get hardwater in taps and they cause lot of scales on plastic)
  • Remote is not necessary, but good to have.
  • Size: not sure how much is sufficient for 1 night continuous water pumping, I don't have any prob replacing water every day.
  • Good to have features: Mosquito mesh, close-able flaps at the front.
Had Kenstar air cooler in the past and the service was terrible, so not buying anything from this brand.

Buy any water cooler (don't buy Chinese maker ones though). When going for a cooler, it's not which cooler you buy, but rather where and how you place that cooler at home.

You need to let air come in the room from the cooler and you need another opening to let air go out. I keep cooler in the balcony, face it inside the room, and keep the windows open in all the rooms.

If you don't let the air flow out, it will get humid and you'll die of sweat. If there's a proper ventilation, you will have the temperature drop in your room better than an AC.

Air coolers just aren't good enough at cooling to justify spending 1/2 the cost of an AC on them imo. I mean, what does a 15k air cooler do that a 6k one wouldn't do almost as well? It's just a fan and water being pumped over a mesh.

A portable air conditioner, although pretty inefficient compared to a split ac, would work for your situation but I've yet to see any great options in the Indian market. At 180 sq ft, this one is probably way too underpowered for you.

Have symphony jumbo 70 in my farm house from 2017, no issue till now. Avoided ac bcoz of frequent power fluctuation (no separate line for agriculture and residence in that area).
Also portable ac creates lot of mess (drain water, exhaust pipe). Used for few days in shop, later replaced with split ac.
No need to spend too much, all air coolers perform similar.

Air coolers just aren't good enough at cooling to justify spending 1/2 the cost of an AC on them imo. I mean, what does a 15k air cooler do that a 6k one wouldn't do almost as well? It's just a fan and water being pumped over a mesh.

A portable air conditioner, although pretty inefficient compared to a split ac, would work for your situation but I've yet to see any great options in the Indian market. At 180 sq ft, this one is probably way too underpowered for you.
As I mentioned in the first post, it isn't feasible for me to buy ac right now and pay for multiple installations.

what does a 15k air cooler do that a 6k one wouldn't do almost as well?
The airthrow, sound/performance of motor, the pads, efficiency, mosquito mesh, longevity etc. There are many things that differentiate the cost. Mostly in under 6k range, only personal coolers would be available which are not suitable for larger rooms. Moreover a good ac costs 45k+ nowadays.

Besides having an air cooler is an advantage as well, can be moved to different places without requirement of installation and can be useful when guests arrive and no ac in their room, or in places where there is no 16A or 20A sockets.

Portable ACs available in our country right now aren't any good.

Have symphony jumbo 70 in my farm house from 2017, no issue till now. Avoided ac bcoz of frequent power fluctuation (no separate line for agriculture and residence in that area).
Also portable ac creates lot of mess (drain water, exhaust pipe). Used for few days in shop, later replaced with split ac.
No need to spend too much, all air coolers perform similar.
Heard symphony coolers are good, saw some reviews of symphony sumo and reviews are good enough. But they say it's fan is made of plastic and not metal, is it same in ur case?

Last edited:
Heard symphony coolers are good, saw some reviews of symphony sumo and reviews are good enough. But they say it's fan is made of plastic and not metal, is it same in ur case?
Yes the fan is of plastic but that's the reason of its quite operation. Also strong enough to survive until any notorious kid put something while running.

Hi, I own the Crompton Optimus Desert Air cooler 100L (it is 14k now, i've got it for 10k) and its been nearly 1 year since I've owned it. Its good given you have the good ventilation provided, cools the surroundings really good.
The air delivery is okay, not great. The only issue is with cleaning it.

YT video
I referred to similar video of last year, that video is private now. This is the latest 2024 suggestions.

Update 2: If anyone is looking for a cheaper cooler (below 10k), the livpure koolbliss cooler is fantastic. Bought 2 of them for my relatives and they are quite happy. Got them for 7.2k each.

Back