Suggest A Good Scanner For Old Photo Restoration

unni

Adept
I am trying to digitize and restore all my old family photos. I have already got about 60 photos restored from a well known studio chain in Bangalore after spending almost 6500 Rs. When I went there initially, they had told me that they were using high quality scanner and that's why they are charging 75-200 per photo. But on my last visit, I saw their scanner and it looked like an ordinary old scanner. Now I feel stupid since I could have spent that 6500 on a good scanner instead.

My requirement is this - it should give me the best quality scans. Please suggest one.

Any decent scanner should do the job. Do not fall for higher dpi and other stuff. A good photograph is usually printed at 300dpi resolution. Using a scanner to scan such a pic at a higher resolution will not help you. So a basic scanner that can scan at 1200dpi max is more than sufficient.

Among the various manufacturers, Canon and HP are well known for their scanners. Check them out.

P.S: You might want to go through Scanning Basics 101 - All about digital images for good info. Especially this page: How much can we scan?

I guess they were charging for the post processing they were doing for restoring the photos. Google around and you should and a lot of tutorials. Plus there's not much point buying standalone scanners these days, for 6-7k you should be able to get a very decent printer/scanner/photocopier/fax AIO.

Back