Graphic Cards Suggest a graphic card

rahul21

Disciple
Hi all
I am looking for an graphic card for my 22inch 1920X1080 monitor, i got
a powersupply of 450w.I am getting Nvidea 9800 DDR3 1 GB ram @ Rs 5200.

1. is there a better card in same cost ?
  2. is it worth the price ?
  3. do i need to upgrade my powersupply ?
  4. will it work with my mother board(Gigabyte G31M ES2L) ?

Thanks in advance. !!

Re: Suggest a graphic card or else ill buy Nvidea 9800 1Gb ram !!

What company power power supply do you have? If its a local el cheapo one then dont get anything more than the ATI HD4670 1GB DDR3 ~ 4.5k

Firstly a graphic card is not judged by the amount of Ram it has :S

Secondly, your local/intex/frontech/iball PSU is not recommended to be used with a graphics card, no matter how many watts its labeled for.

Now, answering your query:

1. No, its currently the best new card you can get in 5200

2. Yes its worth 5200

3. YES, you surely need to upgrade PSU to a branded one: Corsair CX400 (Rs. 3k) or similar, else your PSU/GPU/HDD may die in some time without warning. Moreover, CX400 will enable future upgrades without worrying about power. Also, it will save you electricity costs as its 80+ efficiency certified as compared to ~ 40% efficiency of local PSUs.

4. Yes, it will work, cause G31-S2L, (like other current generation motherboards) has got a PCI-E 16x slot, and 9800Gt is a PCI-E x16 card. (PCI-E x16 versions 1.0 and 2.0 does NOT matter)

Thanks everyone (specially sato1986), well i got two PSU (one from old pc 450 w each) , is it possible to use the spare one for powering my graphic card alone ??
sato1986 said:
Firstly a graphic card is not judged by the amount of Ram it has :S
Secondly, your local/intex/frontech/iball PSU is not recommended to be used with a graphics card, no matter how many watts its labeled for.

Now, answering your query:
1. No, its currently the best new card you can get in 5200
2. Yes its worth 5200
3. YES, you surely need to upgrade PSU to a branded one: Corsair CX400 (Rs. 3k) or similar, else your PSU/GPU/HDD may die in some time without warning. Moreover, CX400 will enable future upgrades without worrying about power. Also, it will save you electricity costs as its 80+ efficiency certified as compared to ~ 40% efficiency of local PSUs.
4. Yes, it will work, cause G31-S2L, (like other current generation motherboards) has got a PCI-E 16x slot, and 9800Gt is a PCI-E x16 card. (PCI-E x16 versions 1.0 and 2.0 does NOT matter)

using two psus for 1 pc ?. Thats not at all possible. M8 ppl are thinking of reducing the pc size.....

u cant use another psu to power the gpu alone...

And why cant you use? It is possible but will take a up a lot of space/will be inefficient, and there is yet a chance that clean power will not be supplied. My advice invest in a good PSU first, and opt for a graphic card later, or with the remaining price.

[OT] the thread title sounds like some kind of DHAMKI.. lolz.. sorry for the OT.. :p [/OT]

Invest in a FSP Saga II 400W for 2k. It can should power a 9800GT easily. But, it would be better if you would list your entire configuration.

well i am sure it can be used to power fans , and even hardisk if not gpu.

anfjavid said:
using two psus for 1 pc ?. Thats not at all possible. M8 ppl are thinking of reducing the pc size.....

latino_ansari said:
u cant use another psu to power the gpu alone...

Space is not problem ,since i will use long wires (2nd PSU will be kept above the cpu box) , only the wires will go inside the cpu box.

And why cant you use? It is possible but will take a up a lot of space/will be inefficient, and there is yet a chance that clean power will not be supplied. My advice invest in a good PSU first, and opt for a graphic card later, or with the remaining price.

lol dhamki did the trick i guess

kauzy said:
[OT] the thread title sounds like some kind of DHAMKI.. lolz.. sorry for the OT.. :p [/OT]

seriously ill never though investing so much in PSU my config

Core 2 duo processor 2.8 ghz

segate hardisk 500 GB * 2

4 fans (12 v each)

4 gb ram ( 2 * 2GB);

H2O said:
Invest in a FSP Saga II 400W for 2k. It can should power a 9800GT easily. But, it would be better if you would list your entire configuration.

m8, keeping your PSU over your PC cabby ?. gone crazy or what ?. How will you initiate the PSU ?. By shorting it whenever you are going to use PC ? Moreover will cause short circuit. Dont even think about that. You say that you are going to use 1 PSU for gfx card alone. Even if its possible, your PSU should be of good standard. Take my words, sub-standard ones will spoil your GPU, CPU/mobo/ram or both...

So invest in a good PSU. go for corsair which has 5 yr warranty or ATLEAST brands like the other TE members suggested and you get peace of mind ... then its upto you... If you dont want to regret take my words...

PSU is a part of PC,you have to give it sufficient amount of money.

everything in your PC has it's life dependent on the PSU,an with that kind of config,it's highly recommended to buy a good branded PSU.

Rest is your choice.

rahul21 said:
seriously ill never though investing so much in PSU my config

It happens. The first time someone suggests you spend 2k+ on an "SMPS/PSU" it registers a shock, but trust the people here suggesting it, its an invaluable investment to make sure all your components, especially the GPU(anything over an HD 4670, basically anything that requires external PCI-E power), run their best and w/o problems for years to come.
Also, as mentioned above, VRAM is never a good indicator of performance when looked at out of context with the other specifications, however, for your budget, the 9800GT is an excellent choice, provided you do something about your power supply.

all i'll say is ppl here are saying something is for a reason..believe them or not is upto you :) but they're right..buying a good psu is a must. take it or leave it..upto you

Without a good PSU you should consider Sapphire HD5670 512MB GDDR5 Artic Cooling @ 5.3K..........

thanks everyone , well I hv decided 2 use my current (ICOOL) psu till death (coz after buying a new one its gona became useless anyway ) ,during that time period hopefully PSU will became cheaper (1k -1.5k) :) .....
n one last thing IF dual processor is posssible then y not dual psu ..:)

rahul21 said:
thanks everyone , well I hv decided 2 use my current (ICOOL) psu till death (coz after buying a new one its gona became useless anyway ) ,during that time period hopefully PSU will became cheaper (1k -1.5k) :) .....

I doubt that it will become cheaper(surly not in range 1-1.5K), Its not a processor which actually become cheaper as new technology come and hence old technologies have to be cheaper as no body going to buy them in same rate of new technology. In case new technology is expensive company in general does not instantly drop old technology price, for instance I5, I7 and C2D & C2Q, C2D. Pricing is all about capturing different market segment, cleaning old stock, and making as much profit as possible.

There is no revolution going on in SMPS dept afaik. I hope someone will correct me if I am wrong. in fact it may become a bit expensive due to higher VAT in some states( Karnataka at least).

Though it appears waste but in fact its not, you may opt for gigabyte or CM Ex + supplies, they should work for ur setup and will be economic than the crossair PSUs.

aditya

rahul21 said:

Since, you have decided to use your ICool PSU.. lemme refer you to an article.. Have a look at this and then you'l realize how shitty generic PSU's are...

How Much Power Can a Generic 500 W Power Supply Really Deliver? | Hardware Secrets

have a look, and decide if's really worth risking all that money.. And remember when a PSU conks, it just might take the mobo and GPU with it...

u can use secondary PSU..u juz need to do the modding, shorting ground wire with the yellow wire..google it for more precise info. I hav been using my 2nd 8800GT on dedicated PSU which powers externally.

Back