Graphic Cards suggest a graphics card...

Joel Toms

Disciple
I am planning to buy a graphics card for around 10k...
my present config is a
Core 2 duo E7200 at base clock...
Gigabyte G31- s2l micro atx motherboard...
am using a dell s1909w monitor with 1366x768 resolution....
was planning to go for gtx 260 coz it gives better fps at lower resolutions compared to 4870 which shines at higher resolutions..
but i havent seen proper benchmarks on my gaming resolution...
my 8600gt used to give better frames in my older 1280x1024 17" crt.. now i changed to this widescreen, frame rates have dropped considerably...
do you have any idea which card gives better frames in widescreen resolutions...
BTW i wanted to ask whether my low end motherboard will be a problem in running high end cards...
i dunno if i should go for a 4850 to save some bucks.. is the performance gain with a 4870 or gtx 260 worth the 3-4k difference in price tags??

i have a CM extreme power 600w..

If you plan to stick with your current moniter ! Any thing over 4850/4770 is a overkill !
Go for Ati 4870/Gtx 260 only if you plan to game on a moniter with 1920X1080 Full HD moniter or else for a moniter up to 1680 X 1050 resolution go for 4770 you will have enough horse power to drive your Graphics and also save some money by means of saving electricty.

Also cranck up the clocks of your cpu a little say up to 3.2 Ghz atleast or more inorder to avoid bottlenecks.

GTX 260/4870 will be overkill for your gaming res., and i don't really recommend using them on that PSU.
Here's my suggestion:-
*If you do not want to buy a new PSU, get the HD 4770, this card will let you max everything on your 19incher. Save the leftover cash and add to it for a PSU upgrade later on(assuming the card costs 7k, adding 1k to the 3k will net you a VX450 with a 5 year warranty, and will suffice for nearly every single GPU setup out there, including the new DX11 cards which you can splurge on later :p )
*If you do feel like a new PSU, get either the HD 4770 or the HD 4850 and put about ~3k or so on a decent PSU(Corsair CX400, Gigabyte Superb 460 etc. depending on surplus from the current 10k)

I woudn't recommend spending too much on a GPU as of now. Both the above cards will be a huge step up from your 8600GT and will max nearly everything out there with plenty of AA/AF eye candy enabled.

OC your processor so that it can keep up with these new cards, that board will easily let you do north of 3.5Ghz/1200Mhz FSB(depending on chip, ofcourse).
What RAM are you using?

EDIT:- I see tosh79 beat me to most of the suggestions, thanks mate :)

Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,Wait,.............................................................

neojjjk said:
u can wait fo dx11 cards

Mate ! can understand if he is buying a High end card but No point waiting when your are buying a mainstream card like 4770,

DX 11 is still a unknown proportion! Even if DX 11 Hardware is introduced no game developers have any Games i pipeline with DX 11 API, It will take atleast a year or more for it and even more time for refinement of Dx 11 platform, By then DX 12 or some thing new will be on horizion,

Remember for all the talks of DX 10 even today there are very little DX 10/10.1 Titles avilable, so no point playing waiting game let him just go ahead and grab a nice card today and enjoy it up to the fullest:hap2:

Do u have a big cabinet......some HD 4870/GTX 260 are really long.
CM extremepower will handle either of the card.......but it has no safety features, no PFC, its power guzzler etc.........and plz dont jump to VX 450-its being overhyped(no need to mention prices have shot by 1k:mad:). Get a glacial power 650w @ 4.6k.........best in the range.

GPU
MSI GTX 260 twin frozr edition 11.5k
SApphire HD 4870(bcoz of good dealer/warranty) 10k
Zotac GTX 260 10k

or

HD 4770/9800gtx+/GTS 250 + PSU

am not going to take dx 11 unless it gives me a huge boost i dx 9 gaming...

i am trying to get advanage of the current prices and buy it before the 48 series goes out of production... i dunno if prices may drop further...

i just want to know whether my cheapass mobo will pose any problems in running the 4870 or gtx 260....

moreover i want to know if there is a significant change when gaming in widescreen...

tosh79 said:
Mate ! can understand if he is buying a High end card but No point waiting when your are buying a mainstream card like 4770,

DX 11 is still a unknown proportion! Even if DX 11 Hardware is introduced no game developers have any Games i pipeline with DX 11 API, It will take atleast a year or more for it and even more time for refinement of Dx 11 platform, By then DX 12 or some thing new will be on horizion,

Remember for all the talks of DX 10 even today there are very little DX 10/10.1 Titles avilable, so no point playing waiting game let him just go ahead and grab a nice card today and enjoy it up to the fullest:hap2:

mate its not only that after release of DX11 card he has to buy only DX11 card but even if he'll buy any mainstream card, he'll get it cheaper as most probably after launch of evergreen DX11 card, prices of other cards will fall..

dude go for a xfx radeon4770 @8.5k its a good overclocker it comes close to gtx260 and beats the 4850 hands down:hap2: . so u get a good performer as well as save 1.5K:eek:hyeah:

Joel Toms said:
i just want to know whether my cheapass mobo will pose any problems in running the 4870 or gtx 260....

No, it won't. But as said before, you don't need either of those cards because you can max most(all effectively) games on a 19 inch with a 4770 or so. Get that for now along with a decent PSU if budget permits. Did you miss my first post in this topic by any chance?
Also, are you upgrading your display anytime soon?

@Gowt1ham
We here buy the VX450 @ a premium primarily for its extra warranty, not because its a magical PSU built with alien technology. The GP 650W is a very good PSU, but the OP doesn't need anywhere near 650(73x overloaded)W of power. Hell, even the VX450 is a bit beyond his requirement.

The CM Extremepower 600W on the other hand is KNOWN to spontaneously combust and so no responsible suggestion will recommend using an expensive card with it until CM releases some sort of revision for it, even if it "may" be able to power the components on paper.

+1 to tosh79(slow down on the spamming dude :p)
Waiting for new cards applies only if you are buying the expensive high end stuff.

111diablo111 said:
mate its not only that after release of DX11 card he has to buy only DX11 card but even if he'll buy any mainstream card, he'll get it cheaper as most probably after launch of evergreen DX11 card, prices of other cards will fall..

Agreed ! But for that to happen the Direct X 11 Lauch cards should be reasonably priced, which i doubt that AMD bieng only manufacturer will keep it that way, Remember at launch of DX 1o Cards the much hyped DX10 crappy cards like 8600 GT and 8600 Gts where priced like high end one's without even taking in to consideration of thier DX 9 performance.

agreed prices will fall once dx 11 cards will come but that point will only come after the dealers clear there current stock which might push that price drop by another month or maybe even 2

hey dude if r u looking 4 performence so take dat gtx 260 or 4870 1gb in HIS brand these cards r hvng no 1 cooling solutions & performance
[http://www.hisdigital.com/un/product2-416.shtml[/URL]

Back