Audio Suggest a pair of Headphones - 5k

FaH33m

Analog Vibes
Skilled
Apr 29, 2006
^True .Grado SR-80i /Allesandro MS1i are also serious contenders if you want highly detailed cans but don't mind less width in soundstage , leaking sound and sitting in a closed room without any noise to listen to your music ;).When I tried Benny's SR-80i for first time during the meet in noisy environment , couldn't really feel the goodness but when I tried it at his place using his Macbook ,the detailing and bass just blew me away :D . Grado cans are the ones you either love completely or end up hating it :p.

Ho0ligaN

Adept
Jan 22, 2005
Thats got me confused now. I dont want to end up with a 5k worth equipment which doesn't sound good with onboard. I am much happier settling for a cheaper headphone and the whole package(head phones, external soundcard and the works) for 5 grand, instead of just the headphones.

haraakiri

Adept
May 28, 2009
I am one of those who ended up hating MS1. It really is very aggressive and I feel like as if singers are screaming rather than singing. :p
If you want to buy a sound card, and end up with lesser money for headphone, I would suggest get JVC RX700 for around 2K. That's really is worth every penny. I was really surprised when I got a chance to listen to them, they really sound very good and can be driven by almost anything.

FaH33m

Analog Vibes
Skilled
Apr 29, 2006
Ho0ligaN said:
Thats got me confused now. I dont want to end up with a 5k worth equipment which doesn't sound good with onboard. I am much happier settling for a cheaper headphone and the whole package(head phones, external soundcard and the works) for 5 grand, instead of just the headphones.
Its not that bad unless your onboard itself is very crappy . The one I tried on had a good enough onboard and it sounded pretty good and volume levels were also more than satisfactory. Infact the member who uses it is on TE (Tiwari) you can ask him .He infact couldn't even notice the difference between uDAC + AD700 and onboard .There was Viralbug as well during the audition .

I would still suggest you get it ,worst case if its not driven properly get a E7 /uDAC or something in future.

JVC RX700 is a good option for the price but its bass heavy and detailing is nothing compared to AD700 .Also they have a little tight fit which can warm up / sweat your ears .

tiwari

Disciple
Sep 4, 2009
Mumbai
^ yeah have to agree wid faheem here atleast i couldn't make out the difference between Udac and onboard, for me both sounded same..

i asked bug if he can make out any difference..he did said it boosts the volume and sounded a little better than onboard but when i was looking at his face while he said that it felt like he himself wasn't sure of wat hes saying :bleh:..sorry bug :bleh:

anyway i guess i don't have critical ears like faheem to make out the difference or maybe i need to ask faheem to give his Udac for couple of days for testing :eek:hyeah:

hey faheem when do i come to ur place for Udac :bleh:

dOm1naTOr

Skilled
Nov 4, 2007
Kottayam kerala
uDAC and onboard sounding same? :O

My E7 seems miles ahead of my onboard realtek. And my soundcard comes in b/w these two.

@ Op

AD700 will be a nice choice, as you dun need ear shattering bass punches (like in RX700/900). Rx 700/900 is gr8, but when it comes to soundstage and detailing, AD 700 is lot better.

Again.. any headphone u use aint gonna perform to its best on onboard. Also that depends on what onboard audio you have, but still a sound card will be better. It isnt specific to Ad700 that it doesnt sound as good in onboard. So just compare HPs, and not how well and bad it sounds on onboard.

Another option is Philips SHp 8900/9000. I think u can audition them at local stores.

Brendon

Skilled
Mar 21, 2005
bennysachdev said:
Did you even try?

Believe it or not I did. :p

I had a Creative Audigy 4 card which I believed would suffice till I could upgrade but it died 2 days after I got my HD650 ! So I had to switch to onboard and use it for a month or so until I got my Hotaudio DAC.

@OP - Your best bet will be the AD700 as it does not scale that much with better equipment.

viralbug

Skilled
Mar 7, 2007
Navi Mumbai
tiwari said:
^ yeah have to agree wid faheem here atleast i couldn't make out the difference between Udac and onboard, for me both sounded same..

i asked bug if he can make out any difference..he did said it boosts the volume and sounded a little better than onboard but when i was looking at his face while he said that it felt like he himself wasn't sure of wat hes saying :bleh:..sorry bug :bleh:

anyway i guess i don't have critical ears like faheem to make out the difference or maybe i need to ask faheem to give his Udac for couple of days for testing :eek:hyeah:

hey faheem when do i come to ur place for Udac :bleh:
That boost in volume was because you hadn't selected headphone out in your sound settings. :|

uDAC gave the AD700 better soundstage and details as well. But they sound pretty good on onboard as well. As Faheem said, they were more than satisfactory. :D

I'm waiting for my AD700 to arrive in a few days. I would love to try them on a better DAC to see if it improves a lot.

tiwari

Disciple
Sep 4, 2009
Mumbai
^ u ordered already ??
cool phir to party bante hai :tongue:

hmm after ur comment i guess i have to ask faheem for Udac for testing

faheem where r u man :mad:

Ho0ligaN

Adept
Jan 22, 2005
Well, the Dosti coupon was no longer working. I just managed to get some coupon thanks to the interweb! placed an order with 500 bucks knocked off! total damages 5675! thats ok I guess

Thanks for all the suggestions guys!

viralbug

Skilled
Mar 7, 2007
Navi Mumbai
Ho0ligaN said:
Well, the Dosti coupon was no longer working. I just managed to get some coupon thanks to the interweb! placed an order with 500 bucks knocked off! total damages 5675! thats ok I guess

Thanks for all the suggestions guys!
Great! I received mine a couple of days ago and enjoying them thoroughly. :D Congrats!

Ho0ligaN

Adept
Jan 22, 2005
Desecrator said:
Buying stuff off eBay GEB is quite easy. If you are a member already, login into eBay and pay using the credit card/debit card/online bank transaction and you will get a confirmation receipt. After 10 days, you should receive your AD700. :)

You need not worry about customs duties/additional shipping charges.

I ordered my item on 6th August, I check the status every day and it has not been shipped yet. The site says the item has to be shipped by 16th August, what does that mean? It has to reach me by 16th August or the Seller just has to ship it out by 16th and the delivery may take its own sweet time?

viralbug

Skilled
Mar 7, 2007
Navi Mumbai
^ It means that the seller has to ship it by 16th Aug. Are you sure he hasn't shipped it yet? I had received a mail within a couple of days when ICC had shipped mine from the US.