Budget 15-20K Suggest a phone - Sony Xperia L vs Huawei G700 vs Lenovo P780

hotshot05

Skilled
Use - NO gaming; reading the news; reading PDF's(sometimes); a bit of web browsing; a bit of WhatsApp; Call clarity should be good; 2.5 hrs of Music everyday; Battery should last throughout the day since I will be in office; I use 3G data

The phones that I have shortlisted are -
Huawei Ascend G700 - 16k
http://www.flipkart.com/huawei-ascend-g700/p/itmdq2u6p77nkw7u
Pros - 8GB internal memory; 2GB RAM; 2150 mAh battery; Dual SIM
Cons - Unknown brand in smartphones (in India).

Lenovo P780 - 17.6k
http://www.flipkart.com/lenovo-p780/p/itmdq8z5z49cwtgx
Pros - Huge battery(4000mAh); Dual SIM
Cons - Some people complain that there is screen flickering and muffled sound during call; heavy

Sony Xperia L - 16k
Pros - Among the 3, only one which is made by a reputed manufacturer; handy 4.3inch screen; 8GB internal memory
Cons - No dual SIM option; small battery(1750 mAh)

Among these, the 2GB RAM of the Huawei G700 is very enticing. I do not know if the future versions of Android will up the minimum requirements but that 2GB RAM will make it future safe. Also the battery size is perfect.
Do not have any idea regarding the customer support service of Huawei in India. Their data cards are quite renowned worldwide. Does anyone here know about the after sales support of Huawei(with respect to smartphones)?

Both the Huawei and Lenovo have 5 inch screens. I have still not held a phone which has a 5 inch screen. But since I do not have monster sized palms, one handed operation may not be possible. But since screen size is big, less strain on my eyes.

Xperia L has no dual SIM option and has a very small capacity battery. Otherwise it has the perfect specs and perfectly sized screen(not too big, not too small). Not to mention the intelligent position of the screen lock/power button.

I was also considering the LG L9 since it is very light and has a high capacity battery. But 16k for outdated hardware(4GB internal memory) seems too much.

Presently I am using an LG Optimus One P500(3.2 inch screen).
Would have had loved to get a phone with a screen size of 4.5 inch, Dual SIM and good battery life.

Last edited:
lenovo p770 got 4.5 screen duel sim and 3k mah battery but 4gb only
or wait for lg l9 ii with 8gb, 4.7" , 720p resolution, infrared and 2450mah battery

Last edited:
lenovo p770 got 4.5 screen duel sim and 3kmah battery
or wait for lg l9 ii
Lenovo P770 has only 4GB internal memory and a few people have had issues with it.

I have been waiting for the LG L9 II for quite some time. For some strange reason, LG seems not too keen on releasing it even though the specs have been available for quite some time. It seems that the Moto G will release in India earlier than the LG L9 II.

Why are you guys talking about P770 when it's mentioned in OP's post that he has shortlisted P780? My vote goes like Lenovo P780> Xperia L = Huawei G700. If you have the advantage of more service centre's with Sony Huawei gives you a beast of a phone to match that. And with this kind of spec, I'm sure it'll get enough community support in the future.

But my colleague here just moved to Lenovo P780 and chuckles every time I plug in my phone for charge. Also, I love the clarity on that one and the camera is pretty good too.

If no gaming, why not consider a WP8 device ? The Lumia 720 is a pretty good phone. Best camera in its class and smooth performance. Battery life is also extremely good but its not an overtly large phone.

If no gaming, why not consider a WP8 device ? The Lumia 720 is a pretty good phone. Best camera in its class and smooth performance. Battery life is also extremely good but its not an overtly large phone.
Too many useful apps I have on Android are not available on WP.
I use a Call Scheduler Lite software using which I can schedule a call. It has been a godsend for me and my friends.
Opera Mini is not available on WP. Since I use low volume 3G pack, data compression plays a big role.
WhatsApp consumes a lot of battery on WP since it has to use the Music API and so is always on.

And *ahem* versions of all apps are available easily for Android. ;-)

The camera is the most unused peripheral device on my phone. To be frank, I would have been very happy if phones came without a camera.

Why are you guys talking about P770 when it's mentioned in OP's post that he has shortlisted P780? My vote goes like Lenovo P780> Xperia L = Huawei G700. If you have the advantage of more service centre's with Sony Huawei gives you a beast of a phone to match that. And with this kind of spec, I'm sure it'll get enough community support in the future.

But my colleague here just moved to Lenovo P780 and chuckles every time I plug in my phone for charge. Also, I love the clarity on that one and the camera is pretty good too.
Can you ask your colleague about the call clarity of the P780? How many days ago did he get the phone? Has he faced any problem till now?

Are there any decent ROMs available for G700 ( I could find MIUI on needROM.com) as it's own ROM does not seem too good?
G700 seems to be the highest specked phone at that price range. Do you guys think if it will get more supporting ROMS ?
Lenovo P780 has quite a bit of support on XDA and has a variety of ROMs to choose from.

Are there any decent ROMs available for G700 ( I could find MIUI on needROM.com) as it's own ROM does not seem too good?
G700 seems to be the highest specked phone at that price range. Do you guys think if it will get more supporting ROMS ?
Lenovo P780 has quite a bit of support on XDA and has a variety of ROMs to choose from.
I would rather have support from vendor for updates rather than community. there is no QC in community and bugs are a part and parcel of custom roms. Can you point out links to P780 ROM links? i couldn't find any. all trouble shooting threads

Did you get your phone yet? Sorry I was travelling and could not respond earlier.
Here is my take on the P780, Lenovo.
It is a good phone. Battery lasts me two days with wifi (including a couple of hours of using the wi-fi hotspot).
Call quality is very good. I have heard people complain about the low volume, which can be solved by turning off background noise reduction.
I find it to be quite slim actually. Maybe I am used to heavier/meatier phones (my older Motorola Droid 3). It looks quite business like.
Virtual keyboard is quite accurate. And it counts, coming from a former Blackberry Bold 9700 user.
You can use the volume up button for the camera shutter button, which is a big plus. The volume down button can again be used to take burst shots.

Buy the phone if you need

• Good battery life
  • Dual SIM.
  • Business-looking phone.

The one and only problem I have faced is that I don't get the call summary after making a call/sending an SMS on prepaid cards. For postpaid users, it should not matter, I think. Even I have got used to this "drawback" actually. I think the pros heavily outweigh this cons.

The dual-sim functionality is dual standby. You can easily activate call forwarding to make both sims "active." That is what Samsung phones actually do!!!

@Doc Holliday Have you used any Bluetooth headset with this phone? Had read somewhere that the bluetooth headset malfunctions if the phone is on 3G network.

I am still undecided about what to buy. Most probably will wait till next month for the Moto G to release.
I am also considering Sony Xperia SP(single SIM but good battery backup).

Finally got P780 @ 16.5k. Waiting for the TPU case now.
Battery life is >2days on 50.% charge :D.

Screen is pretty good no dead pixels, colors and saturation are good too.

The camera app is awesome.

2gb ram would have been excellent. This is the only con I can think of.

Till now I'm yet to see a serious flaw, btw it's working faster than Samsung Grand :p.

And I got a stability firmware update as soon as I turned the wifi on.

Last edited:
Back