PC Peripherals Suggest a power supply for a Core i5 2500k system with dual Nvidia GPUs

krazyfrog

Disciple
I'm planning to upgrade my PC. Out of the current hardware that I have, I will be keeping the GTX 560 Ti GPU and upgrading the CPU, motherboard and RAM.

I have decided to go with the Intel Core i5 2500K processor, ASRock Extreme3 Gen3 motherboard and 2x4GB DDR3 RAM. I will be using the 560 Ti with it as well as my old 9800GT for PhysX.

I currently have an Antec 450 W VP450P power supply. I wanted to know if I can continue to use it with the new system or do I need to go for a new power supply. If so, what power rating do you recommend and if possible, any specific model?

Re: Suggest a power supply for a Core i5 2500k system with dual Nvidia GPU

Anyways for your RIG a 550watts powersupply is sufficient however if you are going to overclock then better get a 650watts or 700watts PSU, Corsair TX 650 or Corsair GS 700watts IMO are good in a price range of 5-6k.

Why do you need a dedicated 9800 GT as your PHYSX card, I think all nVidia cards after 96** series got an onboard PHYSX chip, so really why do you need an extra one?

And if you are need this system [for whatever reason], go for a Corsair TX V2 750W ~ 6500/-.

Hope this helps.

ChessMaster said:
Please use the templete provided for PC upgrade, and Post in PC buying.

Anyways for your RIG a 550watts powersupply is sufficient however if you are going to overclock then better get a 650watts or 700watts PSU, Corsair TX 650 or Corsair GS 700watts IMO are good in a price range of 5-6k.

If he is going for a k-marked processor, I'm sure he wants to overclock, else not much point in spending an extra 1600/- on it.

Also strictly refrain recommending the Corsair GS series for over-clocking RIGS, they are not rated 80+ at temperatures exceeding 40 degrees Celcius, the Corsair VX / TX and HX are certified at their effeciency level [80+ Bronze / Silver] above 45 degrees Celcius.

ALPHA17 said:
Why do you need a dedicated 9800 GT as your PHYSX card, I think all nVidia cards after 96** series got an onboard PHYSX chip, so really why do you need an extra one?

And if you are need this system [for whatever reason], go for a Corsair TX V2 750W ~ 6500/-.

Hope this helps.

If he is going for a k-marked processor, I'm sure he wants to overclock, else not much point in spending an extra 1600/- on it.

Also strictly refrain recommending the Corsair GS series for over-clocking RIGS, they are not rated 80+ at temperatures exceeding 40 degrees Celcius, the Corsair VX / TX and HX are certified at their efficiency level [80+ Bronze / Silver] above 45 degrees Celcius.

same question even i also use physic as 9800 gt but i got improve 10-15 fps at physic setting via Batman Arkham City with physix on but i run on 580 without 9800 gt as physix i got aveg 35 fps at 1080p no issue so it is waste of time for not using physix setting ;)

^^ Pretty useless feature then in my view, AMD cards have EyeFinity to improve performance @higher resolutions [go above 1080p and AMD cards scale better than nVidia cards at running a multi-monitor setup], then why is something like PHYsX which should make it more fun to play a game retarding its performance on a card that is certified for that technology?

Just food for thought, can people answer the question I posed above. Cheers! Happy new year to all on this thread.

ALPHA17 said:

To offload the PhysX duties to the 9800GT so that the 560Ti is free to handle only the graphics. This way the 560Ti is not burdened with handling both the duties.

krazyfrog said:
To offload the PhysX duties to the 9800GT so that the 560Ti is free to handle only the graphics. This way the 560Ti is not burdened with handling both the duties.

I think the physics x was supposed to be run by the CPU, nvidia put this on GPU so that CPU don't take much load, correct me if I am wrong.

ChessMaster said:
I think the physics x was supposed to be run by the CPU, nvidia put this on GPU so that CPU don't take much load, correct me if I am wrong.

Although one can use the CPU for PhysX processing (it always uses the GPU by default) most processors aren't powerful enough to handle the load. As such it always falls on the GPU to handle PhysX. By assigning another, less powerful GPU for PhysX, the more powerful card is then free to handle the graphics without the PhysX bogging it down. This gives you the best of both worlds.

^^ Is there some mod OR such available which you plane to carry out on your Hybrid-SLi setup, please share / elaborate on this point as I've heard a lot of this using nVidia + AMD / ATi card OR two cards from different GPU generations / families.

ALPHA17 said:
Also strictly refrain recommending the Corsair GS series for over-clocking RIGS, they are not rated 80+ at temperatures exceeding 40 degrees Celcius, the Corsair VX / TX and HX are certified at their effeciency level [80+ Bronze / Silver] above 45 degrees Celcius.

Any links for this?

600 watts or 650 watts will be good for your rig.

Seasonic S12II 620 watts is a very good choice and very cheap or Corsair TX 650 v2 is also a good choice but a bit expensive than seasonic.

Hope this helps

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

i would go for the cheap one.:p

ALPHA17 said:
^^ Is there some mod OR such available which you plane to carry out on your Hybrid-SLi setup, please share / elaborate on this point as I've heard a lot of this using nVidia + AMD / ATi card OR two cards from different GPU generations / families.

None that I know of. As far as I know, Nvidia disabled the ability to use a card using another chipset alongside an Nvidia card a while back.

Crazy_Eddy said:
Any links for this?

Sire -- Gaming Series -- the GS 600 and

Enthusiast Series -- the new TX 550M.

Hope this clarifies and a happy new year to all on this thread.

krazyfrog said:
None that I know of. As far as I know, Nvidia disabled the ability to use a card using another chipset alongside an Nvidia card a while back.

So how are you running an old nVidia + new nVidia card in parallel, there must be a mod for this atleast.

The temperature spec is only for the wattage ratings. It has an impact on what the peak power will actually be, i.e. the GS600 will give out the 600W peak reliably at 40C but will probably drop to ~550W peak at 50C.

Efficiency is another ball game, and all units are tested for 80 plus ratings at 23C ambient temperatures. There is a drop in efficiency but not as dramatic as the peak power de-rating and depends on design. A CX430 V2 rated for 430W @ 30C pulls off its 80+ figures even at 37C ambient temps.

But I do agree with your recommendation against the GS600 (or anything with a 'Gamer' tag slapped on it).

Back