PC Peripherals Suggest a PSU

vishal2005

Disciple
I have intel 865GBF board with intel P4 2.8ghz HT CPU & two hard drives & two dvd drives. I am running this system on Powersafe 400W gold PSU for 4 yrs. I want to change this PSU since I require it for another system.

I have decided to buy Corsair CX400W PSU since it has single +12v rail. Most of the other psu like seasonic have dual +12v rail. Will intel 865GBF support dual +12v rail. The board's BIOS date is 22 JAN 2004.

I dont think dual rails should affect that system too much and even a cheaper cm460w should be enough for it. Save a bit and performance wise its not bad at all. Evevn a zebronics pro series is enough.

You may consider the foll. features while buying :

- PFC - Power factor correction.
- Efficiency - For cheaper PSU's this is typically around 60% - 70 %
- No. of connectors - Sata,PCI-E etc.

I would recommend coolr master 400W , costs ~ Rs.2200 in Mumbai.

vishal2005 said:
I have intel 865GBF board with intel P4 2.8ghz HT CPU & two hard drives & two dvd drives. I am running this system on Powersafe 400W gold PSU for 4 yrs. I want to change this PSU since I require it for another system.

I have decided to buy Corsair CX400W PSU since it has single +12v rail. Most of the other psu like seasonic have dual +12v rail. Will intel 865GBF support dual +12v rail. The board's BIOS date is 22 JAN 2004.

no 865 require only single 12v rail. if u are not concerend with upgrading etc...VIP silver 500w @ 1.5k or zebby 350w will do.

Get the Zebronics Pro 350W as suggested above. It will suffice for your needs.

Go for the Corsair CX400/Seasonic 380W only if you intend to add a discrete graphics/video card later for a bit of future-proofing.

Are you going to upgrade in the near future? If yes, then go for the CX400.

Otherwise, the Zebronics Pro 350W would suffice for your current system.

Will a 400W Powersafe Gold SMPS do for
Intel Pentium 4 2.6 HT Northwood
Intel D865GBF
Nvidia 7950GT AGP 8x (Has separate Molex Connector)
2.5GB RAM (4 Modules)
2 SATA HDD
1 TV Tuner
2 PCI NIC
1 Other PCI Card
8 USB Peripherals

Here is some useful info: The Truth About Graphics Power Requirements V2 - Graphic Hardware - Forums - www.atomicmpc.com.au
and here is a PSU Calculator: eXtreme Outer Vision - eXtreme tools for computer enthusiasts

With this calculator, my recommended PSU is 366W.
I haven't put the 7950GT in yet. I was wondering if I should get a better PSU first.

I am inclined to go with Corsair as they are the only ones offering a 5 year warranty. Tagan and Cooler Master both seem to be offering just 1 year. That seems fair, right?
I will be using multiple monitors on the 7950GT. There isn't going to be an SLI or anything on this system. At most another PCI card and a DVD Writer.
Should I stick to the Corsair 450VX or should I go for something higher?

Corsair prices for theitwares.com are
450W : 4000
550W : 5725
650W : 6950
750W : 7950

Thanks.
If I buy a VX450, the only difference would be that it gives 30A on 12V while my present Powersafe 400W gives 20A on 12V
Even trying out the Powersafe would be a bad idea, right? Or should I give it a go?
I am kinda tempted to but afraid that it might damage the card due to overheating or something.
References:
Consequences of insufficient GPU power - NVIDIA Forums
Insufficient power ==> rise in GPU temp - Graphics cards - Monitors/Video

I presently have couple of 80mm fans. I hope adding another 2 shouldn't be a problem with the VX450 or would it be stretching it a bit?

^ It can work, but why take the risk?

The 80mm fans shouldn't pose a problem.

BTW, I think Tagan and Coolermaster have a 3 yr warranty.

@OP:

Get a Corsair VX450 -- and sleep tight and in peace. It will support one GPU just right. No worry of rails and all that jazz.

Back