PC Peripherals Suggest AMD rig, budget 22k~

annkur

Disciple
I am looking to assemble a basic AMD based desktop. Can someone suggest me what I should go for. I hear different terms like X2, X3.

Also should I go for a motherboard with DDR3 support?

This would be a office system and not expecting any games on this. Just photoshop, corel and heavy internet usage.

any advice on what motherboard + CPU combination I should go for. Rest are easy to figure for me.

thx

Re: Need to buy an AMD Desktop

annkur said:
I am looking to assemble a basic AMD based desktop. Can someone suggest me what I should go for. I hear different terms like X2, X3.

x2 = Dual core
x3 = Triple core
x4 = quad core

Athlon II = budget series with low cache
Phenom II = midrange to top end models

athlon & phenom (without the II mark) : thing of the past. don't pick these

annkur said:
Also should I go for a motherboard with DDR3 support?
Given that the price difference between DDR2 and DDR3 is very less, go for DDR3based board. Also, DDR2 is soon going to be thing of past as DDR3 is fast becoming mainstream. This means that in future DDR3 will cost less than DDR2.

annkur said:
This would be a office system and not expecting any games on this. Just photoshop, corel and heavy internet usage.

for photoshop and corel, look for quad core processor based rig. My pick would be Athlon II X4 620 for 5.5k or Phenom II X4 925 for 7.5k

annkur said:
any advice on what motherboard + CPU combination I should go for. Rest are easy to figure for me.

thx

my pick for mobo will be Gigabyte GA-MA785GMT-US2H. priced at 5.6k-6k, this is a DDR3 based board.

Re: Need to buy an AMD Desktop

Hi thx everyone.

I was looking at a budget of 20-22k with a lcd. the lcd is costing 6.5k (lg or samsung 18.5")
Let me see what combination can I fit in the remaining budget.

Processor: AMD AthlonII X3-435 - 4k(3 cores. wil come handy when using photoshop)
Motherboard: Biostar A785GE - 3.3k(HD 4200 is a very good IGP. Plays HD with eaze and directX 10.1 complaint)

well lets see i could be wrong, with VAT
Phenom II x2 550 - 5000k
MSI 790GX g65 - 7500k
2x1 Patriot DDR3 Ram - 3200k
radeon 4850- 6000-9000 range
m in a hurry so calculate

kameng_41 said:
well lets see i could be wrong, with VAT
Phenom II x2 550 - 5000k
MSI 790GX g65 - 7500k
2x1 Patriot DDR3 Ram - 3200k
radeon 4850- 6000-9000 range
m in a hurry so calculate

Could you please avoid posting when you are in a hurry :bleh:

@annkur,
you can get a X4 620 instead of the X3 435, since the quad would be faster in Photoshop or Corel and more future proof. The biostar mobo suggested by Karthik is good. :)

894888.png

this is th Phenom II x2 550

^^He is just showing off the unlocked cores :lol: But why in the world his Voltage is so high ?

Get the AII X4 620, a 400mhz bump will add to real performance jump. Even if you don't intend to OC it will work just fine.

OK so I got a little confused here and so did my supplier :)

but I really love the support given by the community here. I am sure on DDR3 2GB ram and other config. I just need to finalise the MB+CPU. I can spend a little more, but my work on photoshop isn't too much. Infact I use photoshop for basic editing only. Some amount of video editing will be involved, but again no SF, it would be just cutting and converting.

I am just sticking to desiibond advice when talking to the supplier - Athlon or Phenom - without the II, I am not buying!

I am looking at this chart currently The 'New' Athlon II X3 - Review Tom's Hardware : Athlon II X3 435: AMD's Three-Core, 2.9 GHz, $87 Triple-Threat

I shall post what I finally landed with, along with a photu and pricing :)

Cheers

also is there any particular DDR3 ram i should look for?

the quote for 2GB is 2.8k with my dealer. Should I insist on a specific make/speed?

thx

Guyz, sorry for so many posts to quickly, I have zeroed down on Athlon II x3 435

the two options for MB are:

Gigabyte DDR3 supported MA785GMT (costs 9.8k with CPU) has 512MB ATI onboard
Gigabyte DDR2 supported M2A74 (costs 6.8K with CPU) - has 256MB ATI onboard

Onboard graphics is not the criteria, but the DDR part is where I am stuck. Is it worth spending 3-4k more?

Back