Suggest an AC(split)

fahd123

Disciple
Hi

I went through numerous threads related to splits on TE. But there are some points I want to ask.

I am moving into new house after Diwali. And I plan to install a split AC before house painting starts. My budget is 35k(max) including stabilizer and installation.

As this is the off season, and I will be using it regularly from April onwards(5.5 months to go), Is it wise to invest in an AC right now? Only reason I want to buy it right now is that I don't plan to Repaint my house for at least next 2 years. And AC installation might require some fitting/drilling and plaster work.

I am already using two window AC's, Whirlpool 1.5(8 years) and Onida 1.5(5 years), I had horrible experience with Onida, had to replace the AC twice, and still had the same problem of Ice formation on fins(Gas issue). I had to mail several times to their nodal officers but to no avail. I have to refill gas everytime when the season starts. I don't want to go through the same experience again.

My main priority to AC is: After Sales Service/Customer Care! which AC brand has a good name in service in Delhi? By service I mean,

1. knowledgeable Engineers, I had more info of ACs than those Onida engineers.

2. Responsibility and punctuality

3. Spare parts availability

Which brand has the most satisfying service?

My next Priority is Cooling and performance. I am fine with a 3 star as long as it cools WELL. As I will be using this AC in living room, it will work at most 8 hours per day per 5 months a year. So i dont think I will recover the cost of 5 star in less than 4 years( I am sure after 4 years, the EER will decrease as it gets old so 5 star or 3 star it wont make a difference after 4-5 years).

Some of the AC's I have short listed are:

Voltas vertis Gold/Elite 1.5

Carrier Durakool Plus 1.5

Hitachi Ace cutout 1.2( Good product, but SERVICE wise is it good?)

Bluestar 1.5

I would appreciate if you guide me with your experience with the service and cooling of these AC's

Any more inputs and ideas are welcome.

I had an inclination towards Hitachi, but after reading these horror stories I find it difficult to convince myself.

HITACHI AIR-CONDITIONER Complaints - INSTALATION TECHNICIANS ARE FRADULENT

http://www.complaintsboard.com/complaints/srishti-electronics-hitachi-ac-c14528/page/1.html

http://www.complaintsboard.com/complaints/hitachi-air-conditioner-c57836.html

Do read the complete post and replies to that post! After reading this, i feel Hitachi is having the worst customer service.

Such a Reputed Brand , and has nothing in name of CC.

Btw i've a hitachi ac and found after sales service to be very satisfactory.only prob is the spare parts are costly,like i lost the remote and they're asking 1600 bucks for a new one.otherwise they've responded to my complaints within 24hrs.

I am also plannin to buy one and my research overwhelmingly points to SAMSUNG.

A Few reasons why...

- Reliable compressor
- Very useful features
- Compact design for 1.5 and 2 tonnes
- Good after sales service ( Got great feedback)

Look for the ETA 1.5 ton Split ( Compact design). Costs around 25k.

Please let me know if you get this at a better price.

Voltas is the best from my point of view. I myself have 2 at home. and 4 at office. they're going more than expected. reasonbly priced too.

My price enquiries revealed higher prices for Voltas when compared to Samsung.

My take is
-Hitachi has the best compressors. But they are way too expensive and completely featureless.
-Samsung has relaible products, and reasonably priced. ( Good after sales also due to larger consumer base)
- Blue Star and Carrier are heavy duty industrial acs. An overkill for home, unless your are in RAMAGUNDAM or JAISALMER.
- Lg has dull A/cs. The look itself is ricketty and they are anyways not well known in that segment.
- Daiken, Voltas, Panasonic are all options which I have personally checked and decided not to buy ( Lots of Ifs and Buts)

Thanks for your suggetions.

So acoording to the posts till now, Samsung Voltas and carrier are good at customer care and cooling.

Today i went to some shops in Delhi. One of them offered me Voltas PANACHE 1.5 ton for 35000, voltas vertis gold has been phased out, and panache has taken its place, so is the price drop. Now by looking at the specification, it says the AC is inverter type. and has a EER of 11.6.

At the company website , it is priced at 60k.

Product

Please look at the link, and tell me if its a good buy? (select 1.5 from drop down menu)

Please advice me, is voltas panache 1.5 ton a good buy? it uses R410 gas, instead of R22. And is an inverter type AC. Did anyone had bad experience with voltas AC regarding customer care?

Are inverter type AC success in India? and will refilling gas(R410) be an expensive damage in future?

I can get voltas vertis gold which are in stock.. but their production has been stopped.

the sales guy a/c shop near my place told me that samsung and lg had faulty compressor problems (he even took me to the service room and showed me :| )

i'm planing to buy a split a/c as well. thinking about onida/panasonic. (both 25k)

any suggestions?

I would suggest you to wait till january before buying an ac.usually you get good offers at croma and ezone on ac's near jan end and it's kinda peak offseason :)

Wonder which gas is better?.. Can some1 throw some light on Voltas please... Need to buy based on suggestions made. I am surprised and sad that Samsung has faulty compressors!

Please consider Godrej as well. I just bought a 1 ton split 3 star for a decent price. Godrej and Voltas compressors are from the same Japanese source but Godrej costs a lot less. Also the Japanese compressors are generally far ahead of the Korean ones.

I may not recommend Godrej to someone who sets his heart on buying Hitachi or OGeneral or Carrier but would suggest that it should be seriously considered by anyone who aims to buy Samsung, LG or Voltas.

With my personal expirence and with what i have seen with my friends opinion nothing beats Hitachi,panasonic and mitsubishi when it comes to reliability,performance,built quality etc though they are slightly expensive compared to other brands where as i can surely say samsung,lg and to some extent carrier too stand no where close to those 3 brand.

but you need to see which brand's A*S*S is good at your area,i have had no problems with my hitachi & national panasonic's after sales service.

and i would suggest you to stay away from godrej,onida...!!!

Back