Suggest an Intel based Audio Production Rig. Pls do not recommend an AMD rig.

ballu

Disciple
Hi friends,

I have been going thru this forum for quite some time now and have actually learnt a lot by reading your suggestions and advices. However not being a techie, it does get a little confusing sometimes.

I have noticed that there is a certain bias towards AMD based rigs as they offer VFM as compared to an Intel, but most recommended configurations appear to be keeping in mind the gaming enthusiasts and not other types of users like me. Even the high end Intel based rigs that have been recommended in the forum have MoBos that support over-clocking etc and that often brings the cost up.

Noticing this I did a lot of reading/research to understand the two competing products, and I have come to a conclusion based on my personal requirements which primarily is for AUDIO RECORDING & PRODUCTION, mostly in stereo format and not multi-channel. I may also do some designing work using CorelDRAW/Photoshop, and a little bit of movie watching on a larger screen than that of a laptop. For most stuff I will continue to use my laptop.

My conclusion is that an INTEL CPU matches my requirement to the max as all Intel processors come SSE2 enabled. A SSE2 enabled processor, is a key requirement for running my audio production and supporting softwares and the compatibility is better with dedicated sound cards, no matter how low cost they are. Plus there are other factors that are important for me in sound recording/production.

So help me friends in deciding a good Intel based rig. I have tried to write down my requirements below and need your support to complete it.

Once again, please DO NOT recommend an AMD rig.

Thanks

Questions

Q: What is your budget?

30K (Max 35K)

(I have done some 1-0-1 chat with vendors and have been told that it's possible to get a decent rig at approx 30K)

Q: What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)

N/A as work on my HP laptop.

Q: Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)

N/A

Q: Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.

CPU - Intel i5-750 or 760

I could have gone for a i5-6xx series and saved some money there too but those aren't available. I am open to going even lower if you can convince me to

MoBo - Preferred brand is MSI XXXX

(Open for suggestions)

GPU - Suggest a low cost one as I am not into gaming.

(For my software to run I need 32-bit video card and 16MB of VRAM

RAM - Corsair 2 X 2GB minimum or 8GB or more preferred if I choose to go for a 64bit OS

MONITOR - Would like a 20" monitor and not more. Require a 1,280x900 monitor resolution, but would certainly like to watch movies

SMPS - Suggest a good one without any wastage

CABINET - CM USP100 preferred

SOUND CARD - ASIO compatible sound card required > Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy 2*/ Audigy 2 Platinum

HDD - 500GB

(Already have an old Segate 250 GB HDD which I would prefer to use for my boot drive and want a new 500 GB HDD as my storage for recorded audio files)

OPTICAL DRIVE - Combodrive preferred, please recommend

MODEM - Do not know if I require it, but certainly would like to use net

Q: Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
Most probably will not be upgrading it for the life time of the products unless something is drastically wrong.

Q: Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE*Dealer)
New Delhi - Nehru Place

Q: Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the*TE*market

No

Q: What is your intended use for this PC/hardware

1. Recording and production of Music (Most important)
  2. General use like Browsing, Desktop Processing, Watching HD movies

Q: Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
    Not really

Q: If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
    May be some light weight strategy games

Q: What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage

Required a 1,280x900 monitor resolution, but would certainly like to watch movies

Q: Are you looking to overclock?

No. Never

Q: Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?

Windows XP 32bit may upgrade to Windows 7 64/32 bit

Components Description Price (INR)

Processor Sandy Bridge Core i-5 i 2300 9000

Motherboard Compatibe H-67 mobo 6000-6500

RAM Corsair 4GB 1333MHz 2700

HDD 500GB Seagate 7200.12 1800

GPU IGP -

Monitor Dell IN2020 6600

Cabinet CM Elite 310 1500

PSU/SMPS Gigabyte Superb 460 1950

Key Board Logitech SET - Optical Blk Mouse+ MMKB 700

Mouse NA -

ODD L.G./Samung/ SOny OEM SATA DVD-Writer 950

Speakers U would know better :p -

Total 31700

P.S: The Sandy Bridge mobos doesnt natively support the PCI slots. But most mobo manufacturer will include this via 3rd party chips.

ballu, a few things:

1. The audio subsystem is highly dependant on the operating system you choose to use. Windows 7 has a known DPC latency problem that affects all DAWs, so you're best advised to stick with XP. That has memory management issues and is not as stable as 7, so there's no free lunch.

2. I can't believe you are so adamant on using Intel, but stick with Creative soundcards for audio production. If the resampling doesn't kill your work the extremely low quality converters will. Do some research - I assume you will use analog interfacing between your hardware and the PC, so it makes sense to get the best quality converters possible. Honestly, recordings made on a Celeron using a pro card will sound 30x better than one made on an i7 rig with a Creative card, even though it'll take much, much longer to make. To wit, if you are crunching the budget, the soundcard is not the place to do it. Trust me, I've recorded with both AMD and Intel rigs and for project studio work the AMDs are just as good.

3. MSI. Why? If you were going Intel, I would point you to Intel's own boards. They're the only ones that actually make sense because of the cleaner PCI supply and the better, more stable clocking. MSI is (at best) a tier 2 manufacturer, and the problem with the tier 1 guys is that they optimise heavily for graphics, games and not for background processes on the PCI bus.

4. Consider using a firewire interface to gain freedom from all internal PCI hassles. This will jack your costs up quite a bit. PCI is decent enough for project studio, if you have a decent interface. Do check the DPC latency after installation, you're looking at a number below 100 peak and 70 average for decent performance (<5ms ASIO latency).

5. Monitor resolution - 1280 is not enough for displaying more than a few tracks and a couple of toolsets. I work at 2560x and still feel the need for a second monitor once in a while (Audition). Unless you do no software editing/effects, I would recommend a minimum desktop resolution of 1920x. Monitors are cheap enough so the difference will not be more than 2K. Remember in a DAW the monitor is actually your workbench, and has all the control surfaces as well.

To recap - if you have to scrounge, do so on the motherboard and CPU. Those depreciate the fastest and are the most easy to replace later. Don't compromise on the interface and control surfaces.

Good Luck.

btw SSE2 has been supported on AMD processors for six years now :). It is also supported on the Via Nano and C7 chips, so your understanding may be slightly behind the times. Also when it comes to pure Floating point performance AMD is almost as good as Intel, and at lower prices. Finally AMD's ownership cost is significantly lower. Most important of all, the money you save on the platform can be used to get a better interface. It's still your call but IME the AMD way is just as quick as the Intel way, but may sound a whole lot better. Which is why we do this in the first place....

Hi Cranky,

After a long time I get a response from a person who I believ understands what my needs are, and certainly understands it much better than I do.

My reasons for asking for an Intel based rig was due to the fact that I was unable to gather sufficient info about the products, and also because most answers were directed towards AMD keeping in mind the gamers POV, mostly at other forums.

Yes I accept that I have been lacking in my understanding of processors and other tools as I don't have a way to exchange notes with other professionals as I work alone creating stuff on "as per need" basis and I go more with my instincts rather than anything else.

Keeping in mind whatever you have suggested, may I request you to give me a decent config based on both INTEL and AMD processors, and also a decent pro Sound Card, a decent Mic, etc, and the place from where I can access them. If you choose to do so, just keep in mind that I will be working under certain constraints in a home environment, though I will try my best to eliminate exernal sounds etc. Also that I may not be comfortable investing too much towards professional quality equipment and may have to compromise a bit here or there keeping it at an amateur level.

By the way, I am comfortable using Cool Edit Pro, Audition and ACID Pro.

Every bit of your help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Hi guys,

this interests me too.. as i'm also s'what interested in getting my hands dirty in audio and DJ thing as hobby (hav only downloaded the ACID free and tried to play with it)

i think i need a good sound card along the way since i'm using the onboard Realtek ALC889/885, 7.1 channels, supporting 24bit/192kHz ??

my current config is s'what ok i suppose, CPU: AMD Athlon II x4 635, MSI 785G-E53, 2x2GB Kingston Ram, 2x500GB SATA Seagate, 600W CoolerMaster PSU, Hyper 212+ CPU Cooler, nVidia 9800GT 1GB housed in CoolerMaster Elite 370 case. Monitor: 20" LED LG