Suggest - Backup/Sync Software

Praks

Skilled
Friends,

Can anyone suggest a good Backup software ?

Functions required:
MUST Have - Sync with External HDD - ONLY Backup files which are new or last updated. (NO need to overwrite/touch old files which are not changed)
Good to Have - Facility to Sync with Online Drive (Sky Drive/Drop box)

Can anyone suggest please ?

@mgdelhi

Trying one by one with Ext HDD, Will post my feedback.

@Gaurish

How do you use in Win 7 ? Will it backup only new files ? I dont want backup software to rewrite old files which are not changed in main source.

Praks said:
@Gaurish
How do you use in Win 7 ?
Start -> Control Panel -> Performance and maintenance

Will it backup only new files ? I dont want backup software to rewrite old files which are not changed in main source.
I think it only saves the files which have changed over backup. The thing I like about Backup utility in windows is that its hassle free and does OS backup via imaging;)

See the following links for more help:

@Gaurish

Thank you bro.

I need the software for Incremental backup.

Something like this, From Laptop HDD to Ext HDD,

1st time FULL backup is taken.

Next time onwards, Backup those files ONLY which are changed. NO need to overwrite old files which are already there on EXT HDD.

Do you suggest ?

Praks said:
@Gaurish

Thank you bro.

I need the software for Incremental backup.

Something like this, From Laptop HDD to Ext HDD,

Next time onwards, Backup those files ONLY which are changed. NO need to overwrite old files which are already there on EXT HDD.

Do you suggest ?
I use inbuilt windows backup utility for this purpose:)

I tried it, somehow didn't work as I wanted.

Can you please share How to use it in Win 7 ?

(I wanted this function to do - Something like this, From Laptop HDD to Ext HDD,

Praks said:
I tried it, somehow didn't work as I wanted.

Try something more advanced perhaps:p

Can you please share How to use it in Win 7 ?

I backup everything including os drive(by means VHD image) & take weekly backups. Each time the the backup is created, used space is less than less. As I think it only copies only what as changed. Further, keeping multiple copies of data gives you advantage of using "restore previous versions" feature present in win7. And not to forget, there is a option to tell windows, max GBs it can use for backups. so once it reaches that quota. it will automatically start purging old backups. so you can be sure that windows won't eat all available space in your external hdd.

What I like about inbuilt backup utility is:

* It makes VHD image of OS drive meaning, if my hdd crashes or malware hit me. I can restore the system image onto new hdd, without installing windows again in matter of minutes. It saves me from having to install drivers or the all the configuration settings again. Very useful

* I don't have to manage it. it just works quietly in background. Backups are something which I don't like to think about, so more hassle prone the process is, the less likely that I am going to backup.so I like my backups to be automated & simple as much as possible. maybe its just me:p

* Deep integration with Windows: as this utility comes by default. it is deeply integrated into window 7. has lots of handy integrations like "restore previous versions"

SyncBack is what you need and it free too...

I have been used it for 2 year now

Here is screenshot from one of profile for my CG work folder

lz3kK.jpg

Here is advanced setting

ch9K3.jpg

Let me try method what Gaurish follows. That would be nice as it inbuilt method & I too believe like him - automated & simple as much as possible.

Downloaded SyncBack v3.2.26.0, Nice its Portable & checks file integrity too..

Will check out both.. Thank you :)

I’m a big fan of backup solutions such as Mozy and Dropbox, and I recommend you Handy Backup. It provides both backup software and online backup services. It's the best backup software I ever used.

Back