Suggest BEST DVD Player up to 3k

Emperor

Skilled
Friends,

Want to buy a Good DVD Player. I narrow my search with following, please suggest any Disadvantages of two (if any) . You are free to suggest other brands/models but up to 3k only:-

Sony DVD Player DVP-SR510P @ 2290/- (USB & max. video file supported & Dual Layer supported via USB also)

Philips DVD Player DVP 3336 @ 2650/- (USB & FM Tuner. No support for Dual Layer)

I own CRT TV & no plan to upgrade.

PS: My last one LG fails to work after 1.5 years (works good for 10-12 movies only).

Use an external dvd writer If it works :p :S with an asus mini oplay.
And i dont think you would be buying a new dvd now.
Those what you have can be easily ripped to a .mkv container with x264 codec .
The choice will be yours finally

Though I agree all of yours suggestion about Media Player + external dvd writer but it will shoot budget up to 8k. I just want to be under 3k only.

I agree with your suggestions but budget is strictly up to 3k so please suggest Good & possibly long lasting DVD Players up to 3k.

Thanks

Go with the Philips, unless you want the extra features provided by Sony. Also before buying it, see whether you can demo the player, take a pen drive with some video files which you will be planning to play on the device. Check for lags, problems, unsupported codecs, etc with the video files. If you have a portable hard disk, take that also for checking.

vivek.krishnan said:
Go with the Philips, unless you want the extra features provided by Sony. Also before buying it, see whether you can demo the player, take a pen drive with some video files which you will be planning to play on the device. Check for lags, problems, unsupported codecs, etc with the video files. If you have a portable hard disk, take that also for checking.

Thanks for suggestion but most of DVD players with USB port support 8GB data only. I Most of times use dvd player to view movies. Like Sony DVD Player as it support Dual Layer DVD but can't find out any user information about Sony DVD players after sales service & hardware quality compare to Philips DVD players.
babhishek said:
@OP : for dvds, just iso them using a laptop/desktop at home!

play the iso..... it takes 5 mins!

sorry Abhishek but I didn't get what you want to suggest & either with DVD Player or Media Player :ashamed:

Emperor said:
Thanks for suggestion but most of DVD players with USB port support 8GB data only. I Most of times use dvd player to view movies. Like Sony DVD Player as it support Dual Layer DVD but can't find out any user information about Sony DVD players after sales service & hardware quality compare to Philips DVD players.
sorry Abhishek but I didn't get what you want to suggest & either with DVD Player or Media Player :ashamed:

for making .iso he meant to make a disc image of the dvd to play all the files in a menu format.

i guess you might already know to make a disc image using nero or the likes ?

all this for the content of a dvd to be transferred to a pen drive and then played through a mediaplayer

vivek.krishnan said:
Go with the Philips, unless you want the extra features provided by Sony.

Philips providing FM but won't support Dual Layer DVD format

Sony don't provide FM but support Dual Layer DVD

Which one should I go for?

I'll suggest go for Philips based on personal experience, I have one from past 3 yrs and it's working absolutely fine.

Emperor said:
Philips providing FM but won't support Dual Layer DVD format

Sony don't provide FM but support Dual Layer DVD

Which one should I go for?

In this case would suggest to go with Sony or check if there is a Philips that supports DL DVDs as well as the features you want as 50% of the 3 in 1 movie being sold by moserbaer are in DL DVD. am pretty sure you cannot play them then....

But Philips is said to be reliable......

vivek.krishnan said:
In this case would suggest to go with Sony or check if there is a Philips that supports DL DVDs as well as the features you want as 50% of the 3 in 1 movie being sold by moserbaer are in DL DVD. am pretty sure you cannot play them then....

But Philips is said to be reliable......

Yes I decide to go with Philips DVP 3336 but at techtree review for Philips DVP 3336

The player was not able to play several old DivX codecs, Div3, Div3 Fast, Div3 Slow, Div4 and QPEL. The player also doesn't support WMA. On running the same tests via USB the player couldn't detect the drive as it was formatted to NTFS; it can read only FAT32. The results were the same with DivX playback.
so I'm little bit worried whether Philips DVP 3336 will run the latest or old movie DVD's sold by Road Side vendors (4-5 movies in 1 DVD) :ashamed:

PS: Is any one at TE have Philips DVP 3336, need to know more about FM Tuner inbuilt with this DVD Player.

Back