Budget 0-20k Suggest BEST Upgrade for My Existing Laptop?

Emperor

Skilled
Hi Friends,

Wish to make some upgrade with below mentioned laptop, either RAM or SSD to run it fast.. please suggest BEST available option (under budget)

laptop-asus.jpg

Thank you

What os are you running?

I suggest that ssd is the first thing you should add (atleast 512gb). You will definitely observe fast load times and quick response.

But modern os such as win10+ also demand more ram( Assuming even if you are just using a browser.).
I would also suggest bumping the ram to atleast 8gb (check if you have additional ram slot in this laptop)

I have a similar laptop with same CPU which I got from a member here. Make the jump to an SSD no doubt in that and definitely at least 8GB of RAM if you do web browsing. I have it with 16GB of RAM and 250gb 860 evo. Runs fast.
SSD size is a personal preference, people may disagree but depending on usage you can still make do just fine with 120GB SSD, I've done it and still doing it with 2 machines. RAM for basic usage like web browsing and document editing now is minimum 8GB. 4GB will be slow and very often will hit the pagefile, a lot. That's bad... Depending upon how many apps you keep open or how many chrome tabs you keep you can go 16GB but on that CPU it'll be a bit overkill.
Only con with any platform less than 6th gen is that the igpu in this is not capable to do hardware decoding for vp9, which means playing HD and FHD+ videos on youtube would consume CPU cycles a lot.

Sadly that's all you can upgrade with this laptop. IIRC i3-5005U is a soldered chip and that can't be removed. With my Fujitsu A555 the heatsink is also soldered on the chip (no thermal paste needed) keeping temps in check with under 60C on extreme loads, though the TDP is very low for this CPU, still good for daily tasks without fan noise.

Last edited:
Hi @Psycho_McCrazy , @Emrebel & @enthusiast29

Currently running Win11 ;) on this laptop, as I wish to test New OS

Even with Win10, simple browsing & opening new window in browser (Mozilla, Brave, Opera, IE) take too much time to load.

Not playing nor wish to play any game on this laptop. Just strictly for Office Work use. (Not for photoshop etc. type heavy software's)

I don't know if adding SSD or RAM is possible with this laptop board or not, that's why ask suggestions here for which up-gradation will suit best & what will the approx expenses?

Thank you for all of your quick replies ...

Check if the RAM is DDR3 or DDR4.

Adding RAM may or may not be possible, but replacing the RAM stick should be. Soldered RAM wasn't very common at the time (at least 5 years ago, I'm assuming). Get an 8 GB stick.

Again, the laptop most likely doesn't have an M.2 slot, but you can always replace your HDD or use a caddy to replace the DVD drive (if it has one) with an SSD. Either way, get a 2.5" SATA SSD and you should be good to go.

Use CPU-Z to see available RAM slots. If will also tell you the motherboard model. Search for it to check availability of M.2 slot.

Currently running Win11 ;) on this laptop, as I wish to test New OS

Even with Win10, simple browsing & opening new window in browser (Mozilla, Brave, Opera, IE) take too much time to load.

I don't know if adding SSD or RAM is possible with this laptop board or not, that's why ask suggestions here for which up-gradation will suit best & what will the approx expenses?
So casual usage should be fine with 250GB SSD and 8GB RAM.

Download CPU-Z and check under SPD tab what RAM module you got, post screenshots.

Also check if you have empty physical RAM slots on motherboard, check some youtube video of disassembly of the laptop then you can see how many RAM slots are there. If there's only 1 slot then you'd have to discard you current RAM stick and go with new single 8GB stick else if there's an empty slot you can just buy a 4GB stick and get a total of 8GB with your existing stick.

Finally, replace that spinning rust of a hard drive with a 2.5" SATA SSD like Crucial BX500 which can be had for near about Rs.2500 new.

Your total cost should be less than Rs.5000 and experience will really improve.

As has already been stated, SSD is a must if loading times are the main issue.

Bumping RAM to 8 GiG would ensure that Virtual memory hits to SSD are for the most part avoided.

Slot 1 is empty, so you can add 8 GB there for a total of 12 GB RAM. Or if you want to save some money, add 4 GB for a total of 8. Get 1600 MHz RAM.

Slot 1 is empty, so you can add 8 GB there for a total of 12 GB RAM. Or if you want to save some money, add 4 GB for a total of 8. Get 1600 MHz RAM.
Not so fast... There are motherboards which support 2/4 slots but manufacturer doesn't install the actual DIMM slots on the mobo.

@Emperor you'd have to check a video or open your laptop to see if actually there's an empty slot (there should be on this). I did a quick google search and it seems like the 4GB RAM you have is soldered on the motherboard and there's only 1 slot, so buy 1x8GB stick and you should be good with 12GB of RAM in total. But confirm this with a youtube video first.

I have the asus 540ya . I too thought the laptop had an extra slot for ramcas per cpuid . On opening it I found out 4gb was sodered ram with no expansion slot . Best to check online on youtube for disassembly videos and open laptop and check yourself.

Not so fast... There are motherboards which support 2/4 slots but manufacturer doesn't install the actual DIMM slots on the mobo.

@Emperor you'd have to check a video or open your laptop to see if actually there's an empty slot (there should be on this). I did a quick google search and it seems like the 4GB RAM you have is soldered on the motherboard and there's only 1 slot, so buy 1x8GB stick and you should be good with 12GB of RAM in total. But confirm this with a youtube video first.
Can confirm with @enthusiast29 friend had an old asus laptop, is nearly 6-7 years old had a pentium processor yet had the RAM soddered on with no actual DIMM slots to increase/replace.

Hello @Emperor , could you please update regarding the RAM and SSD that you replaced into your laptop?

I am also in a similar situation and thinking about upgrading one of my Older HP Laptop, whose configuration details are as follows -

HP Laptop Model Number - 15-ac122tu

CPUz Report with complete details -
http://valid.x86.fr/6280v5

Currently this laptop has got just 4 GB RAM and it is very slow and its fan just keeps on rotating all the time. Hopefully after adding extra RAM and a SSD, it might start to perform much better. I am running Windows 10 OS.

Which particular SSD should I buy for 512 GB capacity and how much RAM should I add to this older machine? Any ideas or suggestions friends?

@Sammoka @ankushv @enthusiast29 @gourav

PS: Its battery is almost dead as well, so I will have to replace its battery for sure, because this laptop works only after connecting to the socket, otherwise there is hardly any battery backup. So please suggest some link to buy its battery as well. Thank you.

Back