Car & Bike Suggest car for max 4L, city driving only (Mumbai)

I wouldn't say that spark is mediocre on highways by any means. i just made a trip on western express way (610 kms, 11.5 hours including breaks). If you are willing to pull high RPMs on gears, the car easily touches 100. I was driving at constant 100-120 with 4 people and luggage. would i have love more power? yes. but it comes at the cost of fuel efficiency

As i mentioned, Highway driving might never happen and if it does not at the 100 and all speeds. Probably max 60-70, not more than that.

With the ongoing discounts you might expect the price of wagon R Lxi to come down by another 30k (speculating as per reports). I would suggest you to have a look. The elderly loves the high seating position of a wagon R.

My father in law needs to buy a new car. Suggest one for max 4 Lakh on road price. Just assume there is no way we can extend that budget. It is for city driving only. In Mumbai particularly.
We have no clue about cars and also have never driven one (my father in law and anyone else in his family)
So we do not understand the technicalities when it comes to vehicles.
Get Ion or Wagon R.
Both are good. Ion is new as you know.

Buy Alto K10 aka Pocket rocket :D :D

Pros
1) No maintenance as maruti trouble free :D
2) High resale value
3) Better fuel efficiency :):)
4) Better engine in comparison to Eon, revv friendly :), easily beat many segment higher car in Signal to signal race, best 0-100 times :D

Cons
1) Less boot space :p
2) Classic design, no modern curves
3) Simple dashboard, looks dated to someone
4) I think no OEM music player :)

So if you want to buy car, buy K10, but if you want to buy a Gadget with whom who can play while driving, buy Eon :p

Buy Alto K10 aka Pocket rocket :D :D

Pros
1) No maintenance as maruti trouble free :D
2) High resale value
3) Better fuel efficiency :):)
4) Better engine in comparison to Eon, revv friendly :), easily beat many segment higher car in Signal to signal race, best 0-100 times :D

Cons
1) Less boot space :p
2) Classic design, no modern curves
3) Simple dashboard, looks dated to someone
4) I think no OEM music player :)

So if you want to buy car, buy K10, but if you want to buy a Gadget with whom who can play while driving, buy Eon :p
Alto has little space inside. I would take Wagon R anyday over Alto. Infact I would take nano over alto.

nano and alto K10 are miles apart. NVH levels, power, reliability, A$$, accessories, safety etc
except space Alto scores high on everything. Nano's resale value is horrible
WagonR might be a little bit out of budget.

i'd strongly suggest get a proper car, Eon or M800 or Spark coz all have small hood/bonnet. easier to navigate in city.
Chevy Spark is in noway just a city car.

If you are in used car market, you can easily get a very good deal for MS estilo zen. dozen a dime

Wagnor will be a strict no no, it have high body roll, due to high center of gravity, also while cruising in 80-100, you wont find it much stable and maneuverable in comparison to K10.

Also its better, you take TD of Eon, K10, Wagonr, and decide.

These days its really tough to decide on a car looking on the spec-sheet. The new fludic verna even with 128bhp on tap, is just horrible to drive on 100+, and petrol version takes ages to get the car going. While the 70bhp swift, fires like a rocket, and smoke many cars on highway :p

Wagnor will be a strict no no, it have high body roll, due to high center of gravity, also while cruising in 80-100, you wont find it much stable and maneuverable in comparison to K10.

These days its really tough to decide on a car looking on the spec-sheet. The new fludic verna even with 128bhp on tap, is just horrible to drive on 100+, and petrol version takes ages to get the car going. While the 70bhp swift, fires like a rocket, and smoke many cars on highway :p

Looking at the requirements of the op, he hardly opines the thought that power is his main criteria.
I would say that the wagon r is the best bet for his parents because we have one in the family.
If the budget was a bit more, i would have recommended the ritz but it seems apt that the wagon r is still the go to car for old personnel.

OP doesnt say that cruising at 150KPH is a requirement.
SO i think Wagon R or Eon would suffice.
nano and alto K10 are miles apart. NVH levels, power, reliability, A$$, accessories, safety etc
except space Alto scores high on everything. Nano's resale value is horrible
WagonR might be a little bit out of budget.

i'd strongly suggest get a proper car, Eon or M800 or Spark coz all have small hood/bonnet. easier to navigate in city.
Chevy Spark is in noway just a city car.

If you are in used car market, you can easily get a very good deal for MS estilo zen. dozen a dime
Nano is a much practical car compared to Alto for the City and occasional Highway driving.
Be it Mileage, Space, Legroom, Cost and Features and at the price it is offered which is 1 lakh less than Alto, it seems much more logical to go for Nano. I have driven a Nano and Alto and I liked Nano better.

@raksrules, you should increase your budget a little bit and get a Wagon R.

Last edited by a moderator:
How much max would i have to increase the budget to get the base model of wagon R ?

On a personal note, i would love them to buy an automatic (i have driven them) but it simply gets out of budget. Cheapest i guess is the i10 automatic for something like 6.5 Lakh on road (Mumbai).

I reckon youw ill need to increase your budget by atleast 50 k to et the version with the AC and PS.

Just putting it out there, Since i am a chevy customer, i am getting emails of massive discounts on the Beat until 20 June. Check it out as i think it would cost similar to the Wagon R.

Automatic can be creeped in imo if you go for the Astar. No idea about the OTR price. You may check the same on carwale.

On a personal note, i would love them to buy an automatic (i have driven them) but it simply gets out of budget. Cheapest i guess is the i10 automatic for something like 6.5 Lakh on road (Mumbai).

Now that's a great thought. An automatic is the need of the day for city puttering hatchbacks. Specially for the elderly. Recently there has been 2 welcome additions to the auto tranny starved Indian hatchback market, the Ritz AT and more importantly, the Brio AT. The later having the more practical autobox.

Then there is the much cheaper A* AT as well, but I would strictly avoid the Beat and A* for the elderly. Not only are there ingress/egress issues, they both have these proverbial "anti mother-in-law" seats, generally known as sporty, low slung seating which is uncomfortable for seniors. Moreover, both the A* and Beat has high mounted dashboard and thick pillars resulting in poor visibility which is very important in congested city runabouts. I have been driving the Beat P for nearly 50k kilometres (95% in city) within Kolkata and I must admit that driving the i10/Spark/Santro in the same route is so much more fun. On the highways though, its an entirely different story.

Moreover, both the A* and Beat has high mounted dashboard and thick pillars resulting in poor visibility which is very important in congested city runabouts.
^^ Second that... I drive a Swift regularly in Mumbai and have faced problems due to thick pillars... especially when turning the car and people trying to cross the road at the same time...

Back