CPU/Mobo Suggest cheapest possible combo of processor, motherboard and RAM - for browsing only

^Yup!

Notice the holes C, F, H & J in this pic down below:

2eod7pj.jpg

Those are the ones for the ITX motherboard.

Use Old Samsung CRT

&

New
Celeron Dual Core cheapest one E1400 1.8 512 cache (1600 Rs) or E3200 2.4 IMB Cache(2400 Rs)

Omaxe 945GC MBD 1800/- or GigaByte G31 2400/-
Dynet 1GB RAM @ 700/-

HDD Seagate 160 7200.12

or
Buy P4 2.0 512 Cache 478 Pinold @ 400 Rs.
Chinese 945GC-LM4 MBD or Omaxe 945GCL-M4 478 socket 1800/- New
512MB DDR2 533 Mhz. new
80 GB OLD HDD @ 1200
CDROM @ 150 Rs Old

another reason why u have taken the right decision sticking to the atom setup would be RMA if at all needed in the future. Many people here don't take that into consideration mainly because intel boards just wont OC. For my browsing rig which is mainly used by my parents i prefer having a INTEL Original board, even if its costly (which it normally is) and it has less features compared to the other brands. The reason is simple, RMA ! , God forbid has anything to go wrong I can email Intel and go thru their troubleshooting steps (which many of us already do and email) and then Intel takes care of the RMA, the courier guy comes over and picks up and then delivers it back. Something like WD does for the HDD.

I had nightmares with my last experience with Gigabyte RMA. Where they returned the faulty board as FIXED and wasted my time going - coming , waiting in Q and more downtime.

Atom was the perfect choice in this situation too.

Gaurish said:
Don't ever think of going with Chinese mobo:p
Go for Intel Atom Platform, it is many times better than Chinese mobos

i have used Chinese 945GCLM4 motherboard and runs Cooler than Gigabyte 945GCMX-S2 & G31M-S2L.

I also hate chinese motherboards, but this motherboard is certainly very good, no problem so far after 2 years.

I have seen many people using ATOM with ITX motherboards, and crying for Worst intel tech-support, Online RMA takes more than 2 Months.

i didn't want to start a new thread so thought i would ask it here...my uncle old rig with p41.7ghz&intel 845GVsr mobo conked off recently...he was actually going to repair the mobo which he had done in the past several times with this known person until i insisted that he should upgrade his rig...
His basic usage his daily office tasks,chatting,e-mail&maybe flash games...:p

his budget is 5k for mobo+processor....i would have bought him atom comobo but still i have doubts about this mobo which i want to clear does this machine lag at times?hows the performance with many processes running at background?power consumption isn't an issue so please suggest shoould i buy atom comobo or atom dual core would suffice...
thanks...:)

Qams said:
i have used Chinese 945GCLM4 motherboard and runs Cooler than Gigabyte 945GCMX-S2 & G31M-S2L.

I also hate chinese motherboards, but this motherboard is certainly very good, no problem so far after 2 years.

I have seen many people using ATOM with ITX motherboards, and crying for Worst intel tech-support, Online RMA takes more than 2 Months.

This *might* be out one out but without any warranty or proper support channels in place for these el-cheepo Chinese mobos. I would give it a pass.

sri_k said:
i didn't want to start a new thread so thought i would ask it here...my uncle old rig with p41.7ghz&intel 845GVsr mobo conked off recently...he was actually going to repair the mobo which he had done in the past several times with this known person until i insisted that he should upgrade his rig...

his budget is 5k for mobo+processor....i would have bought him atom comobo but still i have doubts about this mobo which i want to clear does this machine lag at times?hows the performance with many processes running at background?power consumption isn't an issue so please suggest shoould i buy atom comobo or atom dual core would suffice...

thanks...:)

I would suggest Intel dual core, instead of Atom platform.

Intel E5300 3.2k

Gigabyte G31-ES2L 2.4k

The proccy is same architecture based on 45nm process as Costlier Core2duo just lesser FSB & cache for branding and marketing reasons.Intel named it Dual Core instead of Core2Duo to fool people.This CPU is adequate for about 90% of people who use PCs.best for web surfing, word docs, watching videos, common tasks like that. I am using the same in my Box and run 20apps at same time, not at all sluggish. Not even mange to hit 50% cpu usage under daily operation except for compiling and gaming stuff.runs Crysis with 9800gtx+ easily.

Go for this

Gaurish said:
I would suggest Intel dual core, instead of Atom platform.

Intel E5300 3.2k

Gigabyte G31-ES2L 2.4k

The proccy is same architecture based on 45nm process as Costlier Core2duo just lesser FSB & cache for branding and marketing reasons.Intel named it Dual Core instead of Core2Duo to fool people.This CPU is adequate for about 90% of people who use PCs.best for web surfing, word docs, watching videos, common tasks like that. I am using the same in my Box and run 20apps at same time, not at all sluggish. Not even mange to hit 50% cpu usage under daily operation except for compiling and gaming stuff.runs Crysis with 9800gtx+ easily.

Go for this

Tks gaurish...these are mire commonly suggested but what i want to know is dual core needed?though i know its isn't that expensive :p

i was going to buy him celeron 440 &gigabyte G31 mobo

or semrpon 140 with Asus mobo...:huh:

The reason i asked for sluggishness in atom due to low clock speed&different architecture...

thetechmind said:
p.s : OT : people pls keep in mind the current high prices of RAM when setting a budget, 2gig ram is 2k :O

@thetechmind.sicne you built your frnd this atom based rig have you used the rig&could you post you opinion....

sri_k said:
@thetechmind.sicne you built your frnd this atom based rig have you used the rig&could you post you opinion....

my pleasure in assisting u with this, i had the 'same' doubt as u had , issue i had in mind was of the 'lag', thats when i consulted http://www.techenclave.com/members/rushabht.html having known he has used an atom setup. and as he suggested i ended being 'paranoid' about it and just got it.

and like i said, it exceeded my expectations. i would still suggest u go in for the atom setup. it would be perfect for the things you said it would be used for. I was able to install windows xp , load office apps, media players, all the other bells and whistles. I'm sure if i was put onto the system without knowing whats 'inside' the cabinet, I wouldnt have known its a ATOM! So my experience has been a complete +ve one.

I was just explaning someone yesterday - its the applications and the technology that make computer hardware 'obselute'. Ever changing technology and this plugin and that many more features increase the application size, demanding more hardware resources etc etc. I remember MSN Messenger and Yahoo Messenger being punny sized in kb's AFA I remember. Now, its in MB's. You try to run it on a system like a PIII which still works absolutely perfectly, it will take ages even to bring on the sign on screen, reason being the application has evolved, the hardware hasnt. Its still in this own generation. No one knows how things would be 2-3-5 yrs down the line. C2D will be history for sure and maybe Quad Cores would replace the dual cores today.

More than asking the question - "Boss budget kya hai ?" ( Whats the budget) , I prefer asking the question - "Boss, usage kya hai?" (Whats the usage?) , however i completely confess :ashamed: i used to be a part of the budge genre not long before :lol:

Oppps too much of everything gyaaan, I guess im feeling sleepy :lol:

hope this helps.

p.s : incase u go for the atom, just make sure u go for 2gb ram, since only 1 ram slot.

thetechmind said:
my pleasure in assisting u with this, i had the 'same' doubt as u had , issue i had in mind was of the 'lag', thats when i consulted http://www.techenclave.com/members/rushabht.html having known he has used an atom setup. and as he suggested i ended being 'paranoid' about it and just got it.

and like i said, it exceeded my expectations. i would still suggest u go in for the atom setup. it would be perfect for the things you said it would be used for. I was able to install windows xp , load office apps, media players, all the other bells and whistles. I'm sure if i was put onto the system without knowing whats 'inside' the cabinet, I wouldnt have known its a ATOM! So my experience has been a complete +ve one.

I was just explaning someone yesterday - its the applications and the technology that make computer hardware 'obselute'. Ever changing technology and this plugin and that many more features increase the application size, demanding more hardware resources etc etc. I remember MSN Messenger and Yahoo Messenger being punny sized in kb's AFA I remember. Now, its in MB's. You try to run it on a system like a PIII which still works absolutely perfectly, it will take ages even to bring on the sign on screen, reason being the application has evolved, the hardware hasnt. Its still in this own generation. No one knows how things would be 2-3-5 yrs down the line. C2D will be history for sure and maybe Quad Cores would replace the dual cores today.

More than asking the question - "Boss budget kya hai ?" ( Whats the budget) , I prefer asking the question - "Boss, usuage kya hai?" (Whats the usuage?) , however i completely confess :ashamed: i used to be a part of the budge genre not long before :lol:

Oppps too much gyaaan, I guess im feeling sleepy :lol:

hope this helps.

p.s : incase u go for the atom, just make sure u go for 2gb ram, since only 1 slot.
Whew quite long post...:) tks for your prompt reply...i needed to buy this urgently by tommorrow...so i was checking out lynx,prime...lynx has gigabyte mobo listed for same price...but won't gigabyte have more bios option which will allow to overclock. just in case if he finds it slow...:p
it has only one slot...:( maybe i might get him 1GB stick if its too expensive...

I hope it wiud be faster than his old P4 1.7ghz...:rofl:

sri_k said:

sri_k said:
.....but won't gigabyte have more bios option which will allow to overclock. just in case if he finds it slow...:p

OC for what u quoted above ??? :O i dont think so, and as said earlier , i really doubt if even 50% of the processing power would be used for the tasks mentioned. if ur looking for that little extra push which would take a longer way, well then yes, or for that matter have atleast one banking source! ? i.e processor or motherboard, out of which mbb seems an obvious choice, get the Biostar 785 slap on a Sempron 240 2.7GHZ 1MB Cache i.e 3400rs. + 1950rs. = 5350...your budget is 5k for the mobo + cpu anyways, that combo will see you for a really long time buddy. u get a better board with all bells and whistles and much future proof, and dont talk about the lag on Sempron 2.7ghz now :p

thetechmind said:
OC for what u quoted above ??? :O i dont think so, and as said earlier , i really doubt if even 50% of the processing power would be used for the tasks mentioned.

his usage can be handled easily by any single core....but since its atom which was developed mainly for low power consumption it has different arch thas wht makes me confused ..but i hve made up my mind to buy atom...:)

tks for your help...:)

sri_k said:
his usage can be handled easily by any single core....but since its atom which was developed mainly for low power consumption it has different arch thas wht makes me confused ..but i hve made up my mind to buy atom...:)

tks for your help...:)

go thru the above edited version now ;)

thetechmind said:
OC for what u quoted above ??? :O i dont think so, and as said earlier , i really doubt if even 50% of the processing power would be used for the tasks mentioned. if ur looking for that little extra push which would take a longer way, well then yes, or for that matter have atleast one banking source! ? i.e processor or motherboard, out of which mbb seems an obvious choice, get the Biostar 785 slap on a Sempron 240 2.7GHZ 1MB Cache i.e 3400rs. + 1950rs. = 5350...your budget is 5k for the mobo + cpu anyways, that combo will see you for a really long time buddy. u get a better board with all bells and whistles and much future proof, and dont talk about the lag on Sempron 2.7ghz now :p

tks...u forgot to sau one thing if am lucky i can unlock it to dual core....:p this option looks really better since power consumption wasnt criteria...:)

Back