Suggest Cycle for Learner

Emperor

Skilled
Hi,

Please suggest regular/normal (no fancy but with integrated carrier & Basket on front handle) light weight and below 4k cycle for a 12 yrs. old girl who wish to learn cycling.
In learning process she might fell various time so cycle should stand those falls.
If cycle have side support wheel will be added advantage or should have proper space to add side wheel if need arise.

Hi,

Please suggest regular/normal (no fancy but with integrated carrier & Basket on front handle) light weight and below 4k cycle for a 12 yrs. old girl who wish to learn cycling.
In learning process she might fell various time so cycle should stand those falls.
If cycle have side support wheel will be added advantage or should have proper space to add side wheel if need arise.
Side wheels are of no use. The moment you remove those side wheels, she will be back to square one. Have seen so many kids ride bicycle as if it is a KTM, with side wheels on. The moment take the side wheels off, they get shit scared to ride. It hardly takes a week to get it right. With 4k budget, go to a local cycle store and buy one for her. With the seat fully down, she should be able to sit with both feet touching ground (at least 50%). This way, as she grows, she can increase seat height. Do not buy one that needs her to set seat height to maximum. For her confidence, get elbow and knee guards and always make her wear a cycling helmet (atleast while learning).

The training wheels were helpful for me when I was kid, it helps build confidence. They shouldn't touch the ground when the bike is perfectly upright, they need to be about 1cm or 2cm above the ground. For the first few days, they can touch the ground but they need to be adjusted soon after to be off the ground, this is how they're meant to be positioned to help the rider learn. They can be progressively adjusted higher instead of removing them if the child finds it difficult to develop confidence.

For younger children (under 7 or so), they can remain touching the ground until they get older. Most kids take it as a matter of pride and accomplishment when the time comes to remove the training wheels. I remember getting sweets to celebrate, haha.

But yes, they're only needed for about a week or two for that age group — they shouldn't cost much, maybe Rs 200 a pair and they're easily removable.

That video was spot on. When it comes to 12yo, using training wheels is like giving an 18yo his/her first scooter with balancing wheels, to learn. As long as kid can keep both feet on the ground (atleast the toes and front half of foot), they are good to start without training wheels.

When I was teaching my 6 yo, I used to tell him to give enough power to the first pedal (keep it 10 degrees off top and push hard), keep the handle straight and he is good to go without falling. The moment the power is less, the cycle will shake and then the hands shake, and then the handle shakes resulting in a fall. Every single time he gave enough power, he would easily go past the initial hiccup. If he gives even half that power, I end up running and holding the bicycle from falling or ramming into a parked vehicle. Another tip is never to try to start right next to a parked car. Keep some distance from parked vehicles. The best place to learn is an empty playground where they can ride in circles and do 8s.

If you are in an urban center, find a good local store. They give better value and guidance than buying online.
Yes, 2-3 big shop but they are always pushing for costly and make you feel low if you show interest in budget cycle or budget products.

Yes, 2-3 big shop but they are always pushing for costly and make you feel low if you show interest in budget cycle or budget products.
I walk away from shops like this, 100%. That behaviour doesn't deserve my business. On principle I might go somewhere else and spend 10% more if they are respectful and polite.

Go for a used one . Bicycle seat should be bit low allowing both her feet to easily reach the ground ( may bit undersized bicycle ).

-Learning to ride bicycle is actually how supple your grip is on the handle bar (where you allow your bicycle handle bar to automatically just slightly in either of direction to keep the balance). Bicycle is self balancing with correct momentum . Don't tell to hold the handle bar tightly hands should be resting on the handle bar.

-The quickest way to learn balancing would be to remove the pedals and the rider should generate that initial momentum using their own feet .And see how they are able to balance it ( here an undersized lightweight bicycle really helps) .Once they can maintain the balance introduce pedals back and tell them to generate the initial push still with the feat and once the bicycle gains momentum start to raise the feet put them on pedals. the feet will automatically follow the peddling action.

smaller bicycle and how to learn balancing

one of the best bicycle video regarding balancing and how the we actually steer(attain balance) on our bicycle subconsciously .you can even show it to your kid

Last edited:
Hi, was came across used bicycle shop and person told that he will sell for 1500/- after restoring it (will not replace any old parts but will make sure that it will be restored in working condition & paint black color on rusted parts?. But found crack in tire, rusted break wires, rust on various parts of body etc.

There is New Cycle available online (same height 20T) by East-Coast for Rs.3500/- and by Avon for Rs.3200/-.(+ assembling charges up to Rs.200/-)

Was at local big bicycle shop and found minimum Rs.5000/- bicycle (20T) with them.

so what you guys say, is it good to go with online and save up to Rs.1600/- ?

Back