Suggest good Sandy System

tkin

Adept
Q: What is your budget?

55k(max 58k)

Q: What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)

CPU - None

Motherboard - None

GPU - EVGA 9800GTX+(to be used for PhysX)

RAM - None

Monitor - Samsung T220(1680x1050)

SMPS - Corsair HX620(corsair sending me 4x pcie cable for sli/cf)

HDD- 2x500GB SATA2

ODD- 3x DVDRW

FAN- 2x 120mm CM LED, 2x 80mm glacialtech

Q: Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)

Monitor - Samsung T220(1680x1050)

SMPS - Corsair HX620

HDD- 2x500GB SATA2

ODD- 3x DVDRW

FAN- 2x 120mm CM LED, 2x 80mm glacialtech

Q: Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.

CPU - Intel i7 2600k

Motherboard - Z68, must support SLI and CF, must be ATX and must support Lucid Virtue and have video output(eg: gigabyte z68 boards have none)

GPU - MSI GTX560 HAWK

RAM- Any sandy bridge compliant(1.5-1.65v) 4GB module or 2x4GB kit, 1600MHZ is good enough, cas8 or lower preferred, RAMs must have good after sales support in kolkata(does gskill have rma center in kolkata?)

Cabinet- Good airflow, must be able to mount coolers like Noctua d14, must support cards as long as HD6990

Q: Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component

Yes, will upgrade the following within 6-8 months

SMPS - Will upgrade if the pcie cables from corsair does not reach me(F'cking indian postal service)

GPU- Might add another for sli/cf later

Monitor- Dell 1080p 22" LED(8k one)

Cooler- Noctua U12P Se2

Q: Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)

Kolkata

Online/TE Dealer is last option, also online will be considered only when the products will be serviced by local rma centers.

Q: Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market

No

Q: What is your intended use for this PC/hardware

Gaming(primary)

Browsing

Desktop Processing

HTPC

Download rig, 24x7 operation(very much)

Coding java/.net

Video encoding(hence need quicksync)

Q: Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.

No XFX(not because of rashi), gigabyte boards(Z68) lack display output and virtue support, so they are off the list as well, Gskill rams will be considered only if they are serviced in kolkata and a.s.s is god(as good as corsair)

Q: If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?

All except sports(like fifa)

2-4xx aa is good enough for me.

Q: What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage

Both - 1680x1050(upgrade to 1080p later)

Q: Are you looking to overclock?

Yes, like hell, as soon as I buy a noctua cooler. GPU will be oc'ed from start.

Q: Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?

Windows 7 64 bit

Linux - RHEL

If you want to buy a Z68 board only then wait for a month or so coz Z68 boards havent hit the indian shores yet... And why do want a Z68 board only when even a P67 can do the job... I know that you are gonna do encoding and stuff but the cpu that you are looking to buy is pretty powerfull to handle those tasks... I do much encoding too and proccy that i have is pretty powerfull to do that work... There is no doubt that quicksync is better than cuda and stream but the output you would get encoding a video using quicksync wouldn't be that great as compared to a cpu encoded video...

Hades. said:
If you want to buy a Z68 board only then wait for a month or so coz Z68 boards havent hit the indian shores yet... And why do want a Z68 board only when even a P67 can do the job... I know that you are gonna do encoding and stuff but the cpu that you are looking to buy is pretty powerfull to handle those tasks... I do much encoding too and proccy that i have is pretty powerfull to do that work... There is no doubt that quicksync is better than cuda and stream but the output you would get encoding a video using quicksync wouldn't be that great as compared to a cpu encoded video...

This link tells otherwise: AnandTech - The Sandy Bridge Review: Intel Core i7-2600K, i5-2500K and Core i3-2100 Tested

Not to mention using quick sync will keep the cores and GPU free to do work and play games as much as I want, also quick sync is faster than i7 2600k by a mile. When you are encoding you can't play games(well not without compromising either encoding or gaming performance), but quick sync just allows you to do that.

Quicksync is only supported on two softwares espresso and arcsoft video converter... You should have metioned in the thread that you are building a rig for converting videos not for encoding videos. Converting videos is a different thing and encoding videos are two different things. Encoding a video is a process where a person uses an encoder to encode a raw video into a different format using a codec of his choice with custom settings. Video conversion is a process where a person converts or re converts videos into different format using companies converters like espresso arcsoft and many other... If you are a person who just like to re encode already encoded videos downloaded from net then its good for you... If you were into real encoding and stuff then you wouldn't have even talked about quicksync coz people who encode videos dont even use such poop converters. They use MeGUI, Staxrip and YATTA which are highly customisable to encode raw videos using their custom settings to get best output identical to the source... And people who are into real encoding and stuff dont care about speed but quality... They dont even think about encoding a video using GPU...

Hades. said:
Quicksync is only supported on two softwares espresso and arcsoft video converter... You should have metioned in the thread that you are building a rig for converting videos not for encoding videos. Converting videos is a different thing and encoding videos are two different things. Encoding a video is a process where a person uses an encoder to encode a raw video into a different format using a codec of his choice with custom settings. Video conversion is a process where a person converts or re converts videos into different format using companies converters like espresso arcsoft and many other... If you are a person who just like to re encode already encoded videos downloaded from net then its good for you... If you were into real encoding and stuff then you wouldn't have even talked about quicksync coz people who encode videos dont even use such poop converters. They use MeGUI, Staxrip and YATTA which are highly customisable to encode raw videos using their custom settings to get best output identical to the source... And people who are into real encoding and stuff dont care about speed but quality... They dont even think about encoding a video using GPU...
Yes, QuickSync was designed for the users who need to convert videos for playback on phones, media players, etc. On a daily basis.

However, x264 frontends like MeGUI and Staxrip do the same thing. I.e. take any source and convert it to the selected codec/container. Of course, all conversions need an "encoding" stage. Even a QuickSync converter is going to encode to the phone compatible codec/container, for example. Unless it simply remuxes the same streams in a different container, but QuickSync does actually encode to a different format. The only difference is it MeGUI has way more options and presets and x264 in general is a way better encoder. So if you are working for quality with high definition video - QuickSync is useless. If you convert a new video every morning for playback on your phone / media player, it is great.

Hades. said:

No, I am not a professional encoder, I just encode stuff to view in my phone, for storing in dvds etc, so quicksync is better for me, megui is too complicated and I don't use it.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

sasikanth8 said:
Are really gigabyte boards not having virtue and display ports etc?

May be they are dead cheap.

Apparently they have same price as asus boards(Newegg.com - z68), but lack virtue support as well as display, talk about crappy implementations. Their touch bios have nothing on asus, asus leads the way when it comes to bios.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Sub said:
Yes, QuickSync was designed for the users who need to convert videos for playback on phones, media players, etc. On a daily basis.

However, x264 frontends like MeGUI and Staxrip do the same thing. I.e. take any source and convert it to the selected codec/container. Of course, all conversions need an "encoding" stage. Even a QuickSync converter is going to encode to the phone compatible codec/container, for example. Unless it simply remuxes the same streams in a different container, but QuickSync does actually encode to a different format. The only difference is it MeGUI has way more options and presets and x264 in general is a way better encoder. So if you are working for quality with high definition video - QuickSync is useless. If you convert a new video every morning for playback on your phone / media player, it is great.

That's my motto.

Back