Suggest: LED Tube Lights

iosoft

PC enthusiast since MS DOS 5
Skilled
Friends,

I am planning to replace all 10 (almost) general Philips Tube Lights with LED Tubes.
Some for Study Rooms, Living Rooms, Kitchen etc.

This will be my 1st time switching to LED Tubes.

Can you pls suggest which Brand should I choose?
and how much WATT?
and how much Lumen?
(very confusing)

Product should not cause heat.

P.S. Made in India pls

Product should not cause heat. P.S. Made in India pls
sorry, both are difficult. look for Bajaj / Wipro & more than 18W (lumens / watt - not sure)
eveready & philips have failed for me ! at present using Halonix emergency (inverter) tubes

I had used Crompton, GM, Wipro, Bajaj, Philips LED tubes 18/22 watts. The main difference I find is all these LED tube lights lose their brightness after 3 to 4 months of continuous use. Maybe it is because of overheating of the heat sink or badly designed heat sink. I still find the Philips cool day light extra bright fluorescent light much better than these LED tubes.

I have two led lights both from Syska(dunno if Chinese), one is 2 months old(30w), other one is 1.5-2yrs old with less than 30w(don't recall exact wattage). Both are working good, no heat loss no loss in brightness.

Whatever you do, do not buy online. They are selling old and discontinued stock. The Philips LED Batten I bought was over 5 years old.

I have used Wipro High Lumen 22watt series & Philips Linea plus.
I bought them 2-4 years ago and they are all fine except for 1 which got hit with voltage surge.
Also claiming warranty when bought online is a huge headache.

For study room Philips cool day light extra bright fluorescent light is much better than those above. However you will have change spares at-least once in 2 yrs. You also have the problem in availing spares right now as LED Lights are cheaper.

Ceiling fans contribute to room heat WAY more than tubes, LED or otherwise.

Meaning, it's not worth getting bothered about.

I bought 10w Panasonic tubelight from local store a year back. Brighter than the Everready and Compton bulbs I have. Everready looks little yellow compared to white light of the Panasonic.

Came with 2 years warranty and 1000 lumen per watt ratings. The warm white and yellow tubes are around 960 & 900 lumens per watt.

For kitchen, use a 10w - 15w led tube light next to the counter top and another led bulb of 8w on diagonally opposite wall or ceiling. You need more light on counter top than anywhere else.

Usually for 10x10 ft room, a 9-10w led bulb/tubelight is sufficient. If there are older people at home who can't see properly, use 12-15w led bulbs/tubelight. Tubes give out more dispersed lighting than bulbs.

Are there any LED bulbs which are less glowy? This has become a major problem with me as I am extremely sensitive to light. I have replaced all the old bulbs (yellow 40/60W ones what were they called again Lol!) with LED but now this problem. As the old bulbs were not glowy I removed the diffusers (bulb covers) from all the bulb holders and now I can't find them. What's the solution? Are the T bulbs better? Or those 3000K ones? This led glow problem is really killing me.

Are there any LED bulbs which are less glowy? This has become a major problem with me as I am extremely sensitive to light. I have replaced all the old bulbs (yellow 40/60W ones what were they called again Lol!) with LED but now this problem. As the old bulbs were not glowy I removed the diffusers (bulb covers) from all the bulb holders and now I can't find them. What's the solution? Are the T bulbs better? Or those 3000K ones? This led glow problem is really killing me.
Warmer color bulbs is easier on the eyes then cool color. But like you I had removed the diffusers decade back, I had replaced all of the fancy ones with just a regular 45 ° angle bulb holder, with LED the hotspot is really bright. So what I did was I removed the bulb holder and made it downside up, now the LED faces the ceiling, since the ceiling is white I get more light overall this way then if it the bulb was facing down, due to light bouning of the ceiling.
Even using those adjustable tubelight type bulbs, I aim them at the ceiling.

Last edited:
Warmer color bulbs is easier on the eyes then cool color. But like you I had removed the diffusers decade back, I had replaced all of the fancy ones with just a regular 45% angle bulb holder, with LED the hotspot is really bright. So what I did was I removed the bulb holder and made it downside up, now the LED faces the ceiling, since the ceiling is white I get more light overall this way then if it the bulb was facing down, due to light bouning of the ceiling.
Even using those adjustable tubelight type bulbs, I aim them at the ceiling.
Ha ha you did the same as well, removing the diffusers.

Also, i tried to exactly what you did. As most the holders in our house are for 2 bulbs it was easy for me to play any test with. I keep one bulb upwards facing the ceiling and the other downwards facing the floor but the one facing downwards produces much more light. The one facing the ceiling is significantly dimmer, as the upper portion of the room gets more light leaving the lower part dim. For our old ceiling (not even oil paint, imagine a 50 plus year old house with original paint still) I don't think it's able to bounce any light off it at all. Lol. So i must look for some sort of diffuser, wish there was clip on types, which i can just fit with the bulb itself. Or i might have to look for led bulbs which come with some sort of matte coating or whatever to take the glow off of it.

Yes that hotspot like you said, is so bright that it gives me headache in no time. Usually when we had old bulbs after reading books for couple of hours i used to fall asleep face up facing the bulb and was still able to sleep, as there was almost no glow but now the moment i fall asleep I'm awake because the moment i close my eyes it feels like the Sun is looking at me directly and even with closed eyes i get headache in no time and sleep is out of the question.

Ceiling fans contribute to room heat WAY more than tubes, LED or otherwise.

Meaning, it's not worth getting bothered about.
Not everyone can afford Ac and even one does he cannot keep it on for 24*7 and sell kidneys to pay bills unless he is some fat earner or ambani sponsored and eod also suffer from health issues in the log run.
Ceiling fans are used globally and no escape.

Last edited:
Not everyone can afford Ac and even one does he cannot keep it on for 24*7 and sell kidneys to pay bills unless he is some fat earner or ambani sponsored and eod also differ from health issues in the log run.
Ceiling fans are used globally and no escape.
Lol wut?

I meant ceiling fans heat up a room way more than a tubelight, so worrying about an LEDs heat output is moot.
P.s. sweating my a$$ off because an ac's power bill will reach the cost of the ac itself in about two years...

Back