Suggest me a Laptop | Price about 55 K INR | Dell | Sony| Compaq| Any other |

Identity

Disciple
Hey all,
I am planning to buy a laptop.
My need would be high end gaming, some high CPU using softwares and HD Media playback.

I am considering Dell XPS 14. Price is about 55K and specs includes :
i7 processor 1.67 GHz
4 GB ram
500 GB HDD
2 GB NVIDIA Graphics card
HD video chat(skype certified)
Well, its always better to take suggestions. So please guide me with some other laptops in this budget and can be better than Dell XPS laptop.
Thanks very much. :)

If you really want an xps 14 then you have dont have any other option as dell is phasing out xps14, so you have to get xps15 if you want sandybridge xps.

DarkAngel said:
Wait for the Sandy bridge XPS line up to hit India. Its already out in US and SB is much better than the current lineup.
can you tell me expected time period it would take to launch Sandy bridge line in india?

Identity said:
can you tell me expected time period it would take to launch Sandy bridge line in india?
Month or so. Pure guess. XPS 15 is already unavailable in Indian site for the last few days. So the refreshed lineup's launch should be sooner rather than latter.

The SB quads are so much more powerful than the current ones. So its worth the wait.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Verdict
Our tests prove what was to be expected according to some information leaked out in advance: Intel's new quad core Sandy Bridge CPU line up brings a huge performance gain compared to the existing Clarksfield CPUs. Comparing the i7-2720QM CPU to the i7-740QM we observe an outstanding plus of 56.5% on average. Smaller, but still remarkable is the difference between 2920XM and 940XM: +32%.

We saw repeatedly that the i7-2630QM processor, i.e. the entry-level of the new quad core family, can outperform the hitherto strongest chip, the i7-940XM in virtually all tests. This impressively points out the success of the new CPU architecture, which largely exceeds the impact of simply higher clock rates.
So, you'll get more power by buying an i7-2720QM for 378 US-Dollar (recommended price so far), which is about the same an i7-740QM cost so far, than an i7-940XM processor delivered, which cost steep 1096 dollar.

Review Intel Sandy Bridge Quad-Core processors - Notebookcheck.net Reviews

RS4 said:
If you really want an xps 14 then you have dont have any other option as dell is phasing out xps14, so you have to get xps15 if you want sandybridge xps.
I think that is nothing more than a rumour.

DarkAngel said:
Month or so. Pure guess. XPS 15 is already unavailable in Indian site for the last few days. So the refreshed lineup's launch should be sooner rather than latter.

The SB quads are so much more powerful than the current ones. So its worth the wait.

Review Intel Sandy Bridge Quad-Core processors - Notebookcheck.net Reviews
Thanks for Quick reply and info. It would be then good to wait for Sandy Bridge series.

Is there any other laptop you would like to suggest other than Dell. Or should i wait for SandyBridge without thinking of any other brand?

Thank you very much for the info. Just got myself confirmed now. So XPS 14 is rolled back and XPS 15 is not available in india. lol .

Its now the condition in which i am confused.

Can you suggest something different then Dell that should i consider.

By the looks of it, th Acer TimelineX is worth considering too. But then again, its not here yet. So you will have to wait. The only sandybridge refresh available in India right now is the Msi's range. Do check up with SMC.

Identity said:
Thank you very much for the info. Just got myself confirmed now. So XPS 14 is rolled back and XPS 15 is not available in india. lol .
Its now the condition in which i am confused.

Can you suggest something different then Dell that should i consider.
XPS 15 with SB will be launched soon in india,so just wait for few days and you can also call their bangalore sales dept.(phone no.080-2506-8026) to try and extract the launch date :p

Wait for sandy bridge XPS to get launched in india, configure it with the dell fullHD screen(really remarkable,this one) and ur good to go.

other laptops might have the power, but nobody bundles as good a screen as dell.

Because a new generation of processors is usually worth the wait. Though I doubt they'll be available on laptops priced @ 50-55K.

Also, Dell has a very dull screen compared to lets say, an HP.

I had Studio 1555 (2009) and HP dv6 (2010 till date). Colors, brightness - HP screens are better.

i3 and i5 sandy bridge XPS will be launched in india in 2 days and i7 SB will be launched after 25th march. -confirmed news from a Dell guy :)

Looks like alienware m17x is the first amongst all dell offerings to bring the sandybridge in India. About time we see the new XPS. :D

Back