Suggest me an convection/otg oven

I have 2 questions regarding this now:
  1. So grill mode doesn't have any temperature control and it is just time control? - in convection microwave (combi) oven.
  2. So these ovens need 16amp connection?

Where are you sourcing the rennet from, EssDee? Instead of using hands to stretch and fold can we use a stand mixer, the kind used for making dough?
I just use this, not sure about EssDee, can you link it? As for stand mixers, dont buy one, they are all ****ing crap except for KitchenAid but its overpriced :/, As for using them to stretch and fold it wont work, because aside from stretching and folding, you need to squeeze the curds too to force out any whey, also you need to make sure that the whey remains hot while stretching the cheese (the curds wont stretch if the whey isn't hot enough, you need to get it up to at least 85-90c), because you need to constantly submerge the curds and repeat the process again for that cheese pull, you can instead get a wooden paddle and use that for stretching the curds instead, look up how some Italian dairies make mozzarella.

Last edited:
I would have to visit showrooms to see if newer models (if they exist at all), have any difference.
Yes, that would be best bet. However you need to asses whether you are so much concerned about the multitude of temperaure options available.
But these temp settings are mentioned for Convection mode only, but not grill. I don't understand why.
You need to understand how temperature control works in convection mode.
There is a heating element behind the cavity wall next to the circulation fan. This heating element switches on, the fan is switched on and the air temperature inside the cavity is measured. Since the air in is constant circulation, the temperature inside the cavity would be nearly uniform. Convection = heat transfer by moving hot fluid (air in this case).
Boiling & steaming is also convection mode where heat transfer is by moving hot water / steam.
When the temperature element detects the air temperature exceeding the set temperature it cuts off the heating element, but the fan still continues. Slowly the temperature drops (due to heat loss to ambience + due to air getting cooled by the food being cooked). As soon as the temperature falls below, the heating elements cuts in. This on-off switching happens till the programmed time period. This operation is very much similar to air conditioners at our homes.

Now the grill is like wood/charcoal. It is supposed to be ultra hot (the actual gas/ wood/charcoal burning surface could be as high as 1000 deg C). The food is kept close by and gets heated by radiation. This can happen in the absence of air also. The air may be in movement (breeze) or closed natural circulation (wood fired oven) or practically stationary (grill where hot air rises vertically) - but that is not the main mode of heating. You are supposed to visually judge and stop/start grilling
Of course, the OTGs do have temperature control so it could technically be done in grill+microwave, but OTGs require temperature control for "baking" purpose not for grilling or toasting purpose :)

So for heating = microwave oven, for grilling+baking = otg? Or, is otg good only for grilling?
For heating microwave is king.
For baking convection is better than OTG (and air fryer is the best) because of the circulating fan that improves the heat transfer.
For grilling having largest wattage element is the best (you need to see whether your preferred OTG vs grill/microwave vs 3 in one). The placement of the heating element also matters: Most micwave/combinations have only the top, most OTGs have at the top sides and bottom sides, few Panasonics have top and side (labeled as magic grill).

heating = microwave oven,
And cooking. I dunno what snacks you consume but Maharashtrian snacks like pohe, upma, khichadi etc are easier and quicker to cook in the microwave than using a stove. Even kids can cook themselves a snack using the microwave. You want to boil potatoes for some dish? It's easier with the microwave. You can even make tea but won't recommend it.

Here's an update:

I have checked for ovens in 3 big stores, 2 of them suggested to go for Samsung and other one suggested LG. Here are my findings:

Samsung:
  • Warranty system is unclear. They said 1 year on full machine and 10 years on cavity. In another stores, they pasted some note saying 5 years on Magnetron. But nowhere in the manual book or website says about this magnetron warranty coverage. They just mention 1 year on website.
  • Samsung model has no rotisserie function, instead they give a round barbecue skewer. Here for people trying to grill a chicken bird, they have to place it vertically instead of horizontally. I am not sure if a full bird fits vertically in such small area.
  • Temperature goes till 200C.
  • Has a 'Wide grill" rod at the top, salesmen claim can help to achieve crusty food at the top. See here
  • Has ceramic cavity. This is the main thing the salesmen in the store are telling us to give prority.
LG:
  • 10 Year warranty on Charcoal Heater, 4 Years additional warranty on Magnetron, 1 year warranty as usual.
  • Has rotisserie function horizontally.
  • Temperature goes till 230C
  • Salesmen say the charcoal heater is nothing significant and just some bulb for heating.
  • Has steel cavity.
Help me which features should I give preference to.
One thing that intrigued me was 'Sun dry' mode in Samsung, where they say it is equal to drying food in sunlight and can achieve faster results. Not sure if it's available in LG.
Both are coming at around Rs.22k each. Will have to buy during this sale.

Here's an update:

I have checked for ovens in 3 big stores, 2 of them suggested to go for Samsung and other one suggested LG. Here are my findings:

Samsung:
  • Warranty system is unclear. They said 1 year on full machine and 10 years on cavity. In another stores, they pasted some note saying 5 years on Magnetron. But nowhere in the manual book or website says about this magnetron warranty coverage. They just mention 1 year on website.
  • Samsung model has no rotisserie function, instead they give a round barbecue skewer. Here for people trying to grill a chicken bird, they have to place it vertically instead of horizontally. I am not sure if a full bird fits vertically in such small area.
  • Temperature goes till 200C.
  • Has a 'Wide grill" rod at the top, salesmen claim can help to achieve crusty food at the top. See here
  • Has ceramic cavity. This is the main thing the salesmen in the store are telling us to give prority.
LG:
  • 10 Year warranty on Charcoal Heater, 4 Years additional warranty on Magnetron, 1 year warranty as usual.
  • Has rotisserie function horizontally.
  • Temperature goes till 230C
  • Salesmen say the charcoal heater is nothing significant and just some bulb for heating.
  • Has steel cavity.
Help me which features should I give preference to.
One thing that intrigued me was 'Sun dry' mode in Samsung, where they say it is equal to drying food in sunlight and can achieve faster results. Not sure if it's available in LG.
Both are coming at around Rs.22k each. Will have to buy during this sale.
LG one purely because it's higher temp but still not high enough imo, as for thar sun dried mode or whatever that's marketing bullshit only, look it up online, you just need to set a low temp in the oven and leaves your vegetables or whatever inside tbe oven for a few hours to achieve that effect. that mode will just set the temp for you.

Yeah, 210c temperature seems a bit low for all kinds of stuff(210 because in the ifb one I used temperature was around 20 less from listed, likely due to the fans)

LG one purely because it's higher temp but still not high enough imo, as for thar sun dried mode or whatever that's marketing bullshit only, look it up online, you just need to set a low temp in the oven and leaves your vegetables or whatever inside tbe oven for a few hours to achieve that effect. that mode will just set the temp for you.
Yeah, 210c temperature seems a bit low for all kinds of stuff(210 because in the ifb one I used temperature was around 20 less from listed, likely due to the fans)
The choice is torn between having Ceramic cavity+"Wide grill" vs 230C+Charcoal heater.

The choice is torn between having Ceramic cavity+"Wide grill" vs 230C+Charcoal heater.
buy whichever one you like but be aware that the oven wont be able to bake anything more than a cake, both of those will be shit for broiling, pizza making or basically anything that requires high heat.

buy whichever one you like but be aware that the oven wont be able to bake anything more than a cake, both of those will be shit for broiling, pizza making or basically anything that requires high heat.
Oven won't be able to bake anything more than a cake? Bro what else is better alternative - a furnace? Sry I'm confused.

Oven won't be able to bake anything more than a cake? Bro what else is better alternative - a furnace? Sry I'm confused.
I have told you before, temps in the range of 210-230C are nowhere near enough for any kind of baking which requires high heat like breads, pizza etc. Don't believe me? look up the recipes online (not those shitty Indian versions) from proper bakers like like King Arthur's. you gotta decide what you want to buy if your heart is set on those two ovens only then just keep your expectations low. Even my Oven which goes upto 250C is not enough for a proper pizza, I gotta prebake the dough at 180c before to make sure its not soggy, if you want a proper Oven, look into cooking ranges but those get expensive real quick.

P.S. Do keep in mind those are rated temps and actual temps might be quite a bit lower

Last edited:
I have told you before, temps in the range of 210-230C are nowhere near enough for any kind of baking which requires high heat like breads, pizza etc. Don't believe me? look up the recipes online (not those shitty Indian versions) from proper bakers like like King Arthur's. you gotta decide what you want to buy if your heart is set on those two ovens only then just keep your expectations low. Even my Oven which goes upto 250C is not enough for a proper pizza, I gotta prebake the dough at 180c before to make sure its not soggy, if you want a proper Oven, look into cooking ranges but those get expensive real quick,
I understand. But these are the ovens that people are getting recommended default everywhere. I've seen 3 families in the store who bought that samsung oven the same day I went to enquire.

My new neighbor has the same thing just previous year model. They bought for 20k+ and rarely use it. Didn't see lg model with anyone though.

So coming to your point, I can't yet invest in cooking range. So cooking range is only the alternative or having seperate microwave and otg is better? Of course space constraint is a major thing for having 2 ovens.

My new neighbor has the same thing just previous year model. They bought for 20k+ and rarely use it. Didn't see lg model with anyone though.
if you are close to your neighbours, it might be good if you ask them to borrow the oven or at least ask them how it performs for the dishes you want to make, if it works fine for your use case then well and good and you can buy that oven.

As for your other point, we have a separate OTG and microwave and we just swap them out depending on our needs.

if you are close to your neighbours, it might be good if you ask them to borrow the oven or at least ask them how it performs for the dishes you want to make, if it works fine for your use case then well and good and you can buy that oven.
They say 'feel free to use it' for courtesy, but we don't do that out of courtesy as well. Their story is they initially bought with excitement and now it is rarely used. Once they baked cake and I didn't believe they made it, it's as good as shop made. The pizza they made was like blob of roti though, nobody liked it.

As for your other point, we have a separate OTG and microwave and we just swap them out depending on our needs.
What's your opinion on something like this for otg? Is 250C enough?

Philips HD6975/00 Digital Oven Toaster Grill, 25 Litre OTG, 1500 Watt with Opti Temp Technology, Chamber light and 10 preset menus, Inner Lamp (Grey)
https://amzn.eu/d/6hZ8nSx

Back