Storage Solutions suggest me dependable DVD-R 8.5gb

I need to take data backup & need to buy 50 dvds but don't find much choice in the market.

Moser bayer is having 8.5gb Dvd but quite expensive & only available in pack of 10 (costing 370/-)

50 Pack Kodak Double Dual Layer DVD+R DL 8.5GB 8X (costing 760/- plus shipping)
http://www.theitbazaar.com/store/ou...age=flypage.tpl&product_id=659&category_id=58

50 Pack National 8.5gb Double Dual Layer DVD (costing 760/- plus shipping)

Any other choices available in dependable media, I have been using Moser bayer 4.7gb since last 7-8 yrs but 8.5gb is too expensive from Moser bayer hence looking for choices.

Dependable and cheap don't go well together :p

If data is what is important to you, suggest Verbatim. It is costly but the data will remain safe (as long as the disc is handled with care) for a very long time

I remember having a pack of 50 during the good old modding days of xbox 360.
Jtag made me lose all that.

The nationals weren't much reliable to be honest.

Kodak is what I am inclined to buy as they are labeled as 8x write speed but need some feedback how good are these.
I will try at nehru place tomorrow if I can get them locally.

Dependable and cheap don't go well together :p

If data is what is important to you, suggest Verbatim. It is costly but the data will remain safe (as long as the disc is handled with care) for a very long time
What he said.
Also DL are a little less dependable than SL. If single layer isn't an issue, I would recommend getting those.
Either way, look for Verbatim DVDs.

My folders are mostly 6-8gb so 4.7gb are out of question, I got 10 dvds only for testing as I could not find the kodak or verbatim dvds in pack of 50s. Pack of 10 are quite expensive.

I am just wondering if its possible to lock the hdd (write protect permanently) so the data can be stored on WD green hdd as I need access to this data once a year only the hdd can last good enough. The problem with hdd is that the data can be deleted & virus can also mess up the data.

1TB data cost on dvds more than on 1tb hdd hence I would like to find away to lock the data on hdd so even if someone connects this hdd as slave disk its files remain write protected & format option disabled.

My folders are mostly 6-8gb so 4.7gb are out of question, I got 10 dvds only for testing as I could not find the kodak or verbatim dvds in pack of 50s. Pack of 10 are quite expensive.

I am just wondering if its possible to lock the hdd (write protect permanently) so the data can be stored on WD green hdd as I need access to this data once a year only the hdd can last good enough. The problem with hdd is that the data can be deleted & virus can also mess up the data.

1TB data cost on dvds more than on 1tb hdd hence I would like to find away to lock the data on hdd so even if someone connects this hdd as slave disk its files remain write protected & format option disabled.

Buy an external wd passport and lock all ur data....it will be protected and cannot formated and is pretty speedy...best option....DVD's :(

Yeah DVDs are a little too much trouble nowadays. Makes better sense to get hold of an old 160/250/320gb HDD, dump all your stuff in it and keep it somewhere else safe. I've done the same with an old Hitachi drive. Furthermore, if your interested in locking the drives, I believe you can use Windows Vistas/Windows 7s inbuilt Bitlocker drive protection.

As for DL-DVDs, I have some (bad) experience with using the Double National discs on my Xbox. Once upon a time they used to be golden eggs in a cheap pink wrap; As in they were secretly top-quality Singapore manufactured Verbatim MKM001s. Now Moser Baer has stepped in with their own MBIL manufactured discs and they suck big time. In any case, the best consumer-available DL-DVDs on the market are the Verbatim MKM001 (Verbatim DL - 2.5x Speed) and the slightly more expensive MKM003 (Verbatim DL - 4x Speed).

Maybe you can try windows bitlocker. From my experience it is quite secure, without password, one cannot access its contents.
But one may be able to format it (not sure)

Maybe you can try windows bitlocker. From my experience it is quite secure, without password, one cannot access its contents.
But one may be able to format it (not sure)
Bitlocker encrypts the data which I don't want I can try this once with older hdd & the disk can still be accidentally formatted.
Like we have write protect on some SD/CF cards I wish we could do the same with hdd if not that maybe formatting should ask some kind of password or encrypting key so it can be prevent from unintentional format.

The other option is Blu-Ray. But that will involve buying a Blu-Ray drive which will increase the costs a lot.
Why not buy 2 drives and store data on both? That way you have backup even if 1 of the drives go bad.

Honestly, backups on DVD is a pain. Data size has increased a lot these days and burning all that on DVDs is just not feasible. I used to be a DVD guy and burn everything. But after a point I got tired of maintaining a list of the data burned, checking quality of each disc burned, burn again if not satisfied, etc.

I would not suggest getting DVDs as backup. Used to put everything on DVDs, now have a pile which is useless. They occupy more space physically too.
Better suggestion would be buy 2 external drives, replicate your data in both these drives everytime you intend to make a backup and then store these drives under physical lock and key. Two drives because there is always a chance one of them might go bad, hopefully both wont go bad together.

KODAK was the gold standard for cd's, still have KODAK GOLD compact discs, from 2001 which read. have a few blank ones if i never need them.
coming to DVD's , I switched to Verbatim around 3/4 years back and thay have been good as well. DVD's were 4 GB ones, not 8GB /dual layer...

IMO, try both, and see how you do, wouldnt go wrong with any, in my limited experience ;)

I would not suggest getting DVDs as backup. Used to put everything on DVDs, now have a pile which is useless. They occupy more space physically too.
Better suggestion would be buy 2 external drives, replicate your data in both these drives everytime you intend to make a backup and then store these drives under physical lock and key. Two drives because there is always a chance one of them might go bad, hopefully both wont go bad together.

you could freeze them for longevity as well :D, seal pack in ziplock pouches and freeze!! HDD's easily work faster and *cleaner* if kept in low temperatures.

Back