Suggest me: Lenovo Y560 or Sony VPC EB26FG

dhn22

Disciple
Aug 23, 2010
Hi guys......
I am in a BIG dilemma as to which one of these laptops do i buy????
Lenovo Y560 - 040352(i5 proccy) and 044203(i3 proccy) or the Sony VPC EB26FG..

I have read in lenovo forums about the display problems of the Y series....How true is that in the
indian context...its been very much proliferating worldwide:mad:.....
Coz i havnt been able to find any complaints on our forum or any other desi sites:no:.....

Also some say not to get the sony for its full HD screen....will it affect that much on the GPU...
I mean we can play games on lower resolutions than full HD or am i wrong about this???
Will the picture go bonkers:S if i lower the res*????

Any Y560 or EB26 owners here please share your experience regarding the display and heating issues.....
Please sort this out for me guys:(....Thanks

bhupatib

Disciple
Apr 8, 2010
techscrounge.blogspot.com
There was indeed some display problems in Lenovo Y560 and youtube has some vids on it, but last i checked this have been fixed with a BIOS update by Lenovo (don't remember the thread link, but I'm quite sure about this).
LCD screens are supposed to run best in their native resolution, playing 720p (or any other non-native res.) on a 1080p screen will look bad i.e Interpolation(though how bad will depend on your experience with displays!) and the HD5650 (clocked @450mhz in Vaios instead of the standard 550mhz) won't have enough juice to run fullHD games.
I'd go for Y560, but not quite sure how good/worse their after sales are compared to Sony.
Goodluck! :)

dhn22

Disciple
Aug 23, 2010
bhupatib said:
There was indeed some display problems in Lenovo Y560 and youtube has some vids on it, but last i checked this have been fixed with a BIOS update by Lenovo (don't remember the thread link, but I'm quite sure about this).
LCD screens are supposed to run best in their native resolution, playing 720p (or any other non-native res.) on a 1080p screen will look bad i.e Interpolation(though how bad will depend on your experience with displays!) and the HD5650 (clocked @450mhz in Vaios instead of the standard 550mhz) won't have enough juice to run fullHD games.
I'd go for Y560, but not quite sure how good/worse their after sales are compared to Sony.
Goodluck! :)
So do you mean to say that i will HAVE to play games in full hd without lowering the resolution on the sony...rite???
And is the GPU really underclocked that much???

RS4

Skilled
May 16, 2010
India
1.Specs

Lenovo Y-560 has better specs than vaio EB26 as
a.i5>i3
b.Ati 5730>Ati 5650(@450 mhz)

2.Screen

Vaio EB26 full HD screen>>>Lenovo Y-560
just play a Full HD clip on vaio EB26 through pen drive when you go to shop for demo and i bet you wont settle for any other screen in that range.

3.resolution and gaming

If you lower the resolution of the desktop,it wont look good but this is not the same while gaming and the games wont look bad if you play them at 720p.

4.conclusion

So,it all depends on what you want from your laptop,that is if you want the best config in your budget and you will be gaming a lot then Y-560 is your best bet and if you want a cool looking laptop with decent specs and an awesome full HD screen for watching HD movies then go for the vaio EB26

amd999

Adept
Nov 17, 2009
i recommend sony vaio , also check ur areas warranty support for the same, only buy a lap which have good local warranty support no matter which brand is

dhn22

Disciple
Aug 23, 2010
Thanks for your replies guys....
I am also a little in favour of the Lenovo.

But what's holding me back are the reported screen problems in the Y series which seem to be serious.....
Hence i asked that anyone with knowledge regarding that would fill me in......thanks again all of you....

bpr

Recruit
Oct 3, 2010
Hey dhn22

can u post the detailed config of ur laptop? i3 or i5

Also if u r from bangalore then the shop where u bought it?