Camera Suggest me the best DSLR in the 30-35k budget

ev1lb0ygen1us

Adept
Hi guys, I've finally decided to get myself a DSLR. I'm done with Point n Shoots as I want more control of the shots. I know DSLR is not for everyone but I'm going through different tutorials on DSLRs daily and I'm positive that I can manage it. So here I'm looking for a decent starter DSLR.
So what I'm looking for -
1. Sharp images. The best low light performer in the budget.
2. Decent shutter speed for non blurry moving pictures.
3. DSLR with articulating screen.
4. Stutter-less UI and fast image processor ( very important for me).

I would like to go with kit lens (18-55mm) first and master it. Then I will go for a 35mm or 50mm f1.8 prime lens. And finally I will go for 55-200/+mm lenses. I know the common advice is to invest more on lenses but I want to go for the best body in my budget with the kit lens as I dont intend on upgrading the body again for a long time. I will slowly add lenses to my inventory as per my needs. I cant afford expensive 18-140mm or other wide range lenses right off the bat. Anyway carrying 2-3 lens and switching them is not a deal breaker for me. I intend to get the DSLR in a month because thats when my budget will be ready. So yeah, every penny counts. :)

So what I have shortlisted (in order of my preference):
1. D5200 or 600D
2. D3300/D3200 (Cheaper, but will have to sacrifice on the articulating screen)
3. 700D (Touch screen! Out of budget, so will have to wait longer to get this.)

D5200 advantages over 600D that I find appealing:
1. updated 24.1MP sensor. 600D has an outdated 18MP i believe
2. 39 point AF system

600D advantages over D5200:
1. Better grip
2. Better UI?
3. Faster processor?
4. Better kit lens. I heard Nikon's kit lens doesnt do justice for its sensor to shine.

I saw a lot of video reviews on these SLR's lately and things are making it more complicated. 600D does well (or better in some cases) against D5200 even though it has inferior specification. I'm going back and fro between 600D and D5200. Since it comes down to between Nikon and Canon, I cant go wrong here with my decision. I cant go back once I start investing on it. None of my family/friend own a SLR yet. So I dont really have a brand preference.

Friends please suggest me a perfect DSLR for me in terms of best value for money. Please pour in your unbiased suggestions and please dont start a war between Nikon vs Canon. :D

I would get the 700D by stretching a little over the 600D. Canon introduced the 650D but quickly shut sales since the jump between the 600D to 650D was not worth it nor was the jump between the 650D n the 700D. Ideally though the 700D is what's relevant if buying today since the improvements over the 600D is much more significant. Also the 600D is much more further down it's lifecycle anyway

I would get the 700D by stretching a little over the 600D. Canon introduced the 650D but quickly shut sales since the jump between the 600D to 650D was not worth it nor was the jump between the 650D n the 700D. Ideally though the 700D is what's relevant if buying today since the improvements over the 600D is much more significant. Also the 600D is much more further down it's lifecycle anyway
I see. Whats your opinion of Touch screen on a SLR? Hit or a miss? I cant decide myself. According to reviews, its considered very convenient to have touch screen. But can it be compared to the high responsive touch screens found on current mobiles?

It's a camera. You don't really need smartphone quality touchscreen experience. You're right. It's convenient. Value add. You'd rather have it than not considering using a DSLR is all about mastering menu and functions to get the shot you want. It doesn't make much of a deal to pros but at the enthusiast or starter level it's worth it I guess

Touchscreen experience isn't that great, so don't make it a exclusion criteria. Weather shielding in a camera is a better feature to have. But again they're pricey.
If you've used a DSLR or Mirrorless earlier and know basics , go for midrange DSLR and NOT entry level ones.

Scenarios of new DSLR buyers

1. Just testing their appetite for photography, may not be able to devote much time
buy a good Mirrorless at your budget- I'd recommend Sony... ( if low light imaging is your priority). You can use them to replace a premium P&S and carry on . As they're compact and easy to use. They have most of the manual settings as DSLR so you can experiment. Buy Sony as it gives a same sensor as DSLR.
You can upgrade once you improve your basic photography skills and choose a right system and camera for upgrade. After some usage you'll be in a better position to decide which Camera ecosystem suits you -
YES YOU ARE NOT JUST BUYING A CAMERA, BUT ENTERING A PARTICULAR COMPANY ECOSYSTEM,
it's similar to iOS and Android. You research well beforehand. But rest assured that till midrange you won't regret buying any camera because of the ecosystem!!
Better option is borrowing a DSLR for few days and checking your inclination, if it's possible. I'd suggest borrowing a DSLR at this scenario for most followed by Buying a Mirrorless.

2. You've decided ! You're ready to invest time, energy and money. Yes it's in that order of preference, most of the entry level DSLR buyers ignore the first two requirements (including myself). Don't Buy a DSLR if you don't have time... I'm warning you because I did this mistake.
Photography is more of a Art and Passion and you need a teacher and dedication to achieve results. Many good photographer friends say "it's what behind a view Finder matters more than what the specs of camera are !"

The best entry level DSLR as of now (web consensus) : Nikon d3300,
It's new, fast, light and offers sweet price- performance ratio. Canon side it's 600d .
Buy d3300 body only on paytm at 21k after 5k cash back, use the money to buy 35mm lens. Kit lenses you'll get cheap on Olx etc , as low as 3k for newer ones!

Another option to consider is buying a used DSLR. Cameras don't age as fast as Smartphones and 4 yr old camera will still be very relevant today. You may get a better deal that way. A year of remaining warranty is advisable.
Since still photography is a priority here older cameras are equally good.
1100 d canon or D 3100 Nikon : you can get as cheap as 12k with kit lens.
Trying them is a great option for learning photography skills.
It's most economical solution of all, and if you decide to go back you'll not loose much.

Scenario 3: you have used a DSLR or Mirrorless before and you know the basics. That's you've crossed scenarios 1&2 , and ready to invest more. Or your decision is firm and clear.

Most of the times by this stage you know what Camera Ecosystem suits you, upgrade accordingly.
Don't buy any entry level DSLR at this stage, buy midrange or better. ( I made this mistake of buying a D3300 at this scenario)
D5300 or 700d would fit the bill.
D5300 is a best midrange as per web consensus. Again a very sweet price - performance ratio.
My recommendation maybe skewed towards Nikon a bit but believe me, You won't go drastically wrong by buying either Canon or Sony till midrange. TILL MIDRANGE ALL CAMERA ECOSYSTEM ARE MORE OR LESS SAME.
All boils down to your preferences here, if video is one of the requirements then Sony and Nikon are better options. Always prefer newer cameras as the digital processors tends to be newer with loads of features.

You guys ever hear of Pentax? The K30/K-50 are weather sealed, pentaprism equipped, twin control dials, all in the same price range, with the excellent 16MPx Sony sensor.

Main reason for getting rid of 650D was the rubber grip had skin reactions for some european users and its not in the best interest to take a risk on brand name. So they took the oppurtunity to release 700D and scrap 650D so that customers are not wary. You know how european customers are.

touch screen I will mark as miss... they are resistive and not like our smartphones capacitive.
I am sure you have never used a touch screen DSLR. I am using a Canon 700D from April 2014 and the touch screen is a very helpful feature. Its capacitive and as responsive as a high end smart phone.
I find it very speedy to change settings or scroll through images.

OP since your budget is decided you should be ready to compromise on a thing or two. Weather sealing is more of a miss. Search for Booo's thread on this forum.
Anyways. I second the suggestion made by @mach9 that you shd save up more and go for 700D. with the 18-55 kit lens you should get it for 42k on amazon.
The STM kit lens is the best in the market at present. youtube will give you details on this.
Also if you are tight on budget going for resale options is also a good choice. You can find plenty on jjmpf.

Recently bought Sony A7 MKII and here are the advantages of this camera over 5d MK3
1. ISO starts from 50, steps through 60,80,100,125 all the way till 25600. ISO 50 is especially helpful if you are shooting at something like F2.8 and there is too much sun light.
2. One touch NFC to connect your phone. You can use your phone as remote while looking on the phone screen for composing the shot. very useful if you want to put the camera on a rock and take a moon shot. you dont need to carry tripod and remote shutter release for occasional shooting.
3. satisfies all of your requirements and more.
4. In body image stabilization makes is fun to use legacy lenses without IS.
5. Oh, did I forget focus peeking and focus hint. its like WYSIWYG for Depth for field. no need to guess the DoF or need for calculations. Opens many lenses. $50 legacy carl zeiss less is many times better than the current canon/nikon lenses.
6. Availability of adapters
7. EVF is very user friendly compared to OVF. WYSIWYG for view finder.

Since your budget is limited, I would suggest A6000 http://www.sony.co.in/product/ilce-6000l which has mrp of 51000 on sony's site. you wont get 1. full frame, 2. IBIS, 3. ISO is 100-25600, so equivalent to 5dmk3 but....
11 fps makes it the fastest camera available

btw, dont even bother to think about ruggedness or weather sealing in any camera. They are just a bunch of crap until they specify IP67.

finally, if you are into street photography or something like that, a small profile camera makes much more sense.

you can also look into olympus OMD MFT cameras series too. they are great cameras and also have IBIS. and also there are some great MFT lenses out there.

Infact if I were you, I would buy Olympus OM-D EM10

Sorry, no love for canon/nikon :)

Last edited:
Between the 600D, and D5200. I would select the D5200 on the AF system alone. It's quick and accurate. Also I have used the Nikon and Canon stock lenses extensively, and dont find much of a difference between them. Infact I would rate the Nikon stock lens as marginally better.

I am pretty disappointed by Canon bodies apart from 70D, as almost in all price range Nikon has a better option. As someone pointed out above, Sony bodies are also impressive at the price points they offer, however the lens availability in India might deter you.

Since Nikon has released D5500, you can expect the D5300 price reduction anytime. I bought the D5300 2 months ago for 39.5k from amazon. Worth the money.
Canon side, only APS-C camera i can think of is 70D which is around 60k+

Back