Suggest new Flat screen tv

Scorpy

Adept
Well I am planning to buy a flat screen "thin" tv for the first time . I have read around and have decided to go for a LED one . Unfortunately I saw on Samsung and Sony sites that all the new LED tvs are "smart" ones ... hence their pricing is increased drastically . Can you guys please suggest some non-smart tv ( dont really need internet and what not) . I just need a tv with an awesome picture quality and whatever extra features it comes with for that price .... features not including internet and some other weird interface stuff. Also how bad is LCD/Plasma compared to LED ?

I plan to go for a 55" TV .

1. Budget.
1-1.5 lac

2. Viewing distance.
12-15 feet

3. Sources/inputs such as HD DTH/consoles/stand-alone media players etc.
Normal cable

4. Preference for plasma TV/LCD TV/LED-LCD TV.
LED ( how bad is LCD / Plasma compared to it ? )

5. Preference for brands.
Samsung,sony or lg

6. Willing to purchase it from the grey market?
No

7. Any other feature you are looking for such as 3D support on the HDTV, DLNA capabilities etc.

3d and all would be nice :D ... will hook up my consoles to the tv

Although I donot have a suggestion for you, I would highly recommend you split that budget b/w Speakers and TV. Awesome TV with crappy sound really ruins the experience. Decide wisely.

I don't mind doing that ... but I do want a big ass 55" tv more than a smaller tv+speaker combo .... for now the speakers on the TV will suffice.

Sony 55HX750 is a good choice in this price range, i think @adder can suggest more options.

Last edited by a moderator:
^Doesn't sony have pen drive problems ? I'm not really worried about that but .. in general how does it compare to samsungs 55" 6 series 6200xx walla model

^The sony HX series has got good reviews and is supposed to be better than others in the same price range but i have not compared with samsung 6 series so cant comment.

Sony doesnt have any pendrive problem, its just that they support FAT32 and exFAT formatted drives and has less codec(no mkv,flv but mp4 is supported)
support when compared to samsung, so a media player will be required for playing downloaded mkv movies or just connect a laptop via hdmi.

So, go to nearest showrooms with your HD files and test your shortlisted models, go for the best picture quality as it doesnt make sense to spend 1.5 laks and getting inferior model for codec support.

Hmm ... cool ... looks like I'll have to go there and see it in person. The only thing that is bugging me is the weird all extra features in each company TV .. i mean so many random hifi sounding terms and all I get all confused :p ...

I will suggest you samsung because am a samsung user &
1) The 3D is awesome on samsung on the other hand sony's 3D has flickering issues so headache was more on sony :bleh:
2) Picture quality was mind blowing with amazing contrast :bigok:
3) Multi format support via usb is awesome including mkv It can even play bluray remux :angel:
4) Super fast service & availability of spare parts on the other hand sony service is pure headache :p
So close your eyes & get a samsung currently they offering A free 3D blu-ray player worth 10.9k

Samsung UA55ES6200E LED 55 inches Full HD 3D Television | Television | Flipkart.com

locally you can get a good bargain on Diwali

Cheers :D

I will suggest you samsung because am a samsung user &
1) The 3D is awesome on samsung on the other hand sony's 3D has flickering issues so headache was more on sony :bleh:
2) Picture quality was mind blowing with amazing contrast :bigok:
3) Multi format support via usb is awesome including mkv It can even play bluray remux :angel:
4) Super fast service & availability of spare parts on the other hand sony service is pure headache :p
So close your eyes & get a samsung currently they offering A free 3D blu-ray player worth 10.9k

Samsung UA55ES6200E LED 55 inches Full HD 3D Television | Television | Flipkart.com

locally you can get a good bargain on Diwali

Cheers :D

At the risk of taking this thread OT, is it really worth investing in a 3D tv now, we dont have any content yet apart from the movies, and is there that much of a difference, I mean isnt wearing the glasses very inconvenient?!

At the risk of taking this thread OT, is it really worth investing in a 3D tv now, we dont have any content yet apart from the movies, and is there that much of a difference, I mean isnt wearing the glasses very inconvenient?!

completely agree with you.

There isnt a point in investing on a 55" for a 12/15 ft distant watch and these partial 3D tv's which still need those pair of glasses. Soon we are going to see these manufacturers coming out with 3D tv's that dont need glasses.

Back