CPU/Mobo Suggest New rig for Computational work

amitn18

Adept
Hey guys,

I will be getting the i7 975 processor extreme edition at a pretty decent price.Please suggest a suitable mobo. Right now, I am considering the evga X58 mobo, but I have very little knowledge in hardware.

My rig will ONLY be used for computational work, absolutely no gaming or overclocking, so haven't thought of a GPU.

The sketchy details of my soon to be rig are:

CPU: i7 975
Mobo: Need suggestions. Inclined to evga x58 sli
RAM: 2133MHz OCZ blade rams 6gb
HDD: 160 gb Intel SSD. (It is enough for my work)
PSU: VX550 (Will it be enough?)
Cooling: None as it will be in an AC environment 24x7
Price: No restriction. Will be paid by my university.

The above was suggested to me by a friend.]
Out of the above, processor and RAMs are confirmed. Existing PSU (Vx550) will be used.
Please suggest a mobo so that those sweet 2133MHz rams will work to their full potential.

Thanks in advance.

sunny27 said:
phaaak!!! "looks at the config and shoots self in the head"

Don't worry dude, I will only have it for two odd years. Afterall, it will belong to my lab and not me.

And it is a downgrade for me, considering the fact that I was originally doing my work on a supercomputer.

It is just that now-a-days, there is a long queue for the spercomputer, so thought of getting my own rig.

Here, I have a puny P4 (typing from it), not even a c2d, and running it with 256mb DDR1 ram :). Even the download rigs of most of the people here will beat the hell out of my main setup.

So i guess sunny can live again :)
but seriously why go for extreme edition intel s ?
They are only good for glamour:(
from your descriptions it seems you would be far better off with a dual processor server like setup

dasgupta_arup said:
So i guess sunny can live again :)
but seriously why go for extreme edition intel s ?
They are only good for glamour:(
from your descriptions it seems you would be far better off with a dual processor server like setup

But we are ordering those proccys in bulk, so I have no choice.

Guess the purchase officer of your varsity loves glamour :)

i am sure intel would be more than happy to oblige with high end server config for such a big customer

i would google to see if two extreme editions can be put in one board ??

Dual Intel I7? - AnandTech Forums

so i googled and came up with this

looking at their computational loads i would call them your "brother-in-computation" :)

Mods :( why is the link not working?

ok here's the link

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=228832

Back