PC Peripherals Suggest RAM

sTALKEr said:
yer actually saying that ddr2 667 is better than ddr2 800???
ur kidding right?

here is the screen shot, & do understand me what it says..

hrbs6t.jpg
[/IMG]
:eek:hyeah: :eek:hyeah:

Boot_Comp said:
Ok. So for folks not in OC'ing 667Mhz RAM would be better?
Even if you OC, FSB bandwidth will be bottleneck for DDR2 running at higher frequencies or higher bandwidth..
so going higher frequency DDR 2 rams is actually waste of money.. only applicable for C2D procyy.. This will not gonna happen in Nehalem coz of Integrated Memory controller..:eek:hyeah: :eek:hyeah:
that is just bullcrap
no offense meant to the magazine but i just dont believer them anymore after reading lots of FUD from them

Could someone explain the actual relation between the FSB speed and the memory speed?
This would be really helpful for most of us. Any links on this would also be great.

For. e.g. if I have a CPU of FSB 1333Mhz and run it at stock, which would be a better choice if RAM a DDR2 667Mhz or DDR2 800Mhz?
Also if the FSB was 1066 Mhz how will this differ then?

TIA

Boot_Comp said:
Could someone explain the actual relation between the FSB speed and the memory speed?
This would be really helpful for most of us. Any links on this would also be great.

For. e.g. if I have a CPU of FSB 1333Mhz and run it at stock, which would be a better choice if RAM a DDR2 667Mhz or DDR2 800Mhz?
Also if the FSB was 1066 Mhz how will this differ then?

TIA

Suppose 1333Mhz FSB offers Bandwidth of 5332MBps... 1333 x 32/8 = 5332

DDR2 667 Mhz (single channel)offers 5336 MBps, that is ~ same as that of FSB, so no bottleneck..

Now in Dual channel. mem bandwith = 10672 MBps & this bandwith gets bottleneck since FSB allows only 5332 MBps..

Now, even if u overclock proccy say FSB upto 1600Mhz -- at this frequency bandwidth will be 6400 MBps, still not able to achieve what 2 X DDR2 will do in Dual channel.. so here again loss of bandwith.. This is not the case with AMD or upcoming Nehalem coz of IMC..

:eek:hyeah: :eek:hyeah:

_pappu_ said:
yet my single channel ram benchies show bandwidth of 7000mb/s and the performance improves...omg how does that happen :O

Have not you overcloked upto 750 Mhz, 750 x 64/8 = 6000 MBps :S
oops!!
then why 10672 MBps can't be achieved in dual channel.. for Intel I've seen max around 8124 MBps(Memory read) on Everest with DDR2 667 & shoking 7364 MBps with DDR3 1066...:eek:hyeah:

here is my screen shot

258zc06.jpg
[/IMG]
:eek:hyeah:

ronnie_gogs said:
Where is tht digit gfx card thread where they explain the memory chips location....:rofl:

There is no thread, it is in Nov 2006 issue of Digit magazine..I've posted screen shot at #19..

@ pappu & stalker
Muhahahaaa..What all i said, is applicable to 32 bit OS.
For 64bit OS, 1333Mhz FSB = 1333 x 64/8 = 10664 MBps
For 1600Mhz = 1280MBps & to achieve this, 800Mhz Ram in dual channel is sufficient..means DDR21066 is waste of money..:rofl:

freak... where are you getting all this nonsense from man???

firstly.. the FSB is never at 1600MHz..

the FSB gets quadpumped(atleast on intel chips)... quadpumping means it can have 4 times the number of data transfers in a single clock cycle.. FSB at 400 would mean a rating of 1600MTs.. where MT stands for Mega Transfer.

i would suggest that you read up a bit more.. since you dont seem to be too inclined to actually experience stuff happening first hand.. nor inclined to accept first hand opinions coming from others..

you could start here.

The Core 2's FSB, RAM and Bandwidth Explained - Icrontic.com

Im not a freak.Yeh, i know all that from quite long..
266 x 4 =1066Mhz/MTs
333 Mhz = 1333Mhz/MTs
Same applies for GFX memory e.g GDDR5, 900 MHZ x 4 = 3600 Mhz/MTs
But can you calculate banwidth for me at1600MTs FSB? or 400Mhz,whatever way you look? :bleh:

ive posted a link.. go through it if you wanna.

i dont have the wherewithal to continue with this discussion..

ps- i never called you a 'freak'. that was just an expression. if you take it otherwise... so be it.

Back