Suggest router for range, NAS and streaming on Android ....

Vagabond

Adept
I have following to form a network -

- Laptop
- WD 4TB NAS
- Asus HDP R1 (with Play On FW)

Currently have entry level netgear router which dies to provide coverage in bedroom corner (all these are kept in hall, special to mention the router is inside the showcase with glass doors)

Suggest a router with good range, good LAN speeds (WD NAS has gigabit LAN port)... Tried Emit app for 3 android devices and works well in hall, in bedroom loses in buffering.

Budget 3k Max, will be purchasing online.

TIA

Last edited:
Sorry was not able to get back to you on WhatsApp, but here is my take :

If your house is big, then no router will be able to give you a satisfactory range at that budget. It would be better to run an extra wired AP or repeater.

As for your house, please provide a simple sketch - this should help a bit. This will give layout of walls and also mention wall thickness.

Keeping the router insideglass would make it lose some range, which would be felt at midpoint range.

As for my house, my TP Link 740N does not give complete range over the entire house, so I got myself a 841N in repeater mode.

upload_2015-8-24_8-34-15.png
[DOUBLEPOST=1440397315][/DOUBLEPOST]Pay tm has 30% off offers on routers. Tp link 841 will help as extender or replacement ?

Last edited:
Just place the current router at a height in the spot marked in red in this image and it should solve your range problem. It will help to keep the router in open rather than enclosed in cabinets.
Also keeping them at a height improves the range/signal strength for that floor.
upload_2015-8-24_8-34-15.png

Just place the current router at a height in the spot marked in red in this image and it should solve your range problem. It will help to keep the router in open rather than enclosed in cabinets.
Also keeping them at a height improves the range/signal strength for that floor.
View attachment 59355

Its in wall unit, kept at max left in space available... Height wise its just 3 ft high from ground.

Following pic will give you idea, the red one represents current router closed in glass door.

upload_2015-8-24_13-34-23.png

@vivek.krishnan - for my needs what will be suitable for me ? Replacing existing one with TP link 841 or using it as extender in bedroom ?

So as to use as extender, whats the installation procedure ?

Its in wall unit, kept at max left in space available... Height wise its just 3 ft high from ground.
Following pic will give you idea, the red one represents current router closed in glass door.
View attachment 59356
Try holding it at a height of 7-8ft by hand and test the range in other rooms. Hold it in the corner I had marked in the image. That will solve the range issue for sure.

Using as an extender means a reduction in speeds due to the half duplex nature of the repeater. So, if you can live with it, its an easy fix. You can do this with any TP Link router AFAIK. I believe I had written a tutorial for the same here somewhere on TE, will bump it with your id.

I would suggest doing what @onlyravi suggests. It might work.

If you are going to get a replacement, then go for something that's having gigabit and dual band wifi.

Using as an extender means a reduction in speeds due to the half duplex nature of the repeater. So, if you can live with it, its an easy fix. You can do this with any TP Link router AFAIK. I believe I had written a tutorial for the same here somewhere on TE, will bump it with your id.

I would suggest doing what @onlyravi suggests. It might work.

If you are going to get a replacement, then go for something that's having gigabit and dual band wifi.

I would prefer a replacement, something strong for my needs and in budget of 3k.

I would prefer a replacement, something strong for my needs and in budget of 3k.
Seriously if existing router can suffice even then you wanna invest another 3k? your choice. :)
I just bought the TPLink Archer C20 for my brother. Good for a 1300sq ft flat.
Dual band with USB. no gigabit port.
FYI. Even a 5k router may give you same issue you have right now if
1)You are using it on 2.4ghz and there is a lot of disturbance on all the channels you are using.
2)If there are many other devices like microwave / RC controllers, etc in same area they may also cause lot of interference.
I found out this after investigating my brothers flat for almost two hours to how to set the router so that the signal is good. I found that there is no problem in his entire flat but only when I reach the farthest room in the flat the router (2.4ghz) signal was lost totally. reason being there were many many other networks in that room. Maybe from the other flats in the facing bldg. Every channel had atleast 3-4 SSIDs :(

So no harm is trying to optimize your existing network instead of directly jumping to buy new hardware.

Seriously if existing router can suffice even then you wanna invest another 3k? your choice. :)
I just bought the TPLink Archer C20 for my brother. Good for a 1300sq ft flat.
Dual band with USB. no gigabit port.
FYI. Even a 5k router may give you same issue you have right now if
1)You are using it on 2.4ghz and there is a lot of disturbance on all the channels you are using.
2)If there are many other devices like microwave / RC controllers, etc in same area they may also cause lot of interference.
I found out this after investigating my brothers flat for almost two hours to how to set the router so that the signal is good. I found that there is no problem in his entire flat but only when I reach the farthest room in the flat the router (2.4ghz) signal was lost totally. reason being there were many many other networks in that room. Maybe from the other flats in the facing bldg. Every channel had atleast 3-4 SSIDs :(

So no harm is trying to optimize your existing network instead of directly jumping to buy new hardware.

Its the frustration thats leading me to buy a new one. Surely I am going to give a shot but as told earlier, I cant move the existing router to new place.

I remember reading somewhere that glass is the worst enemy of a wireless router. It makes the signal go haywire.

Just try once keeping the glass open and away from router if possible. That may help.

And excellent info @onlyravi

My suggestion would be to get 2x Dlink 750 AC usually on sale for ₹999.
Connect them using lan cable and to main router.

This won't sacrifice speed and you will get a decent AC experience.

Just my 2 cents.

Back