CPU/Mobo Suggest Smallest possible/Lowest wattage download rig

Well you can use routers with DDWRT/Tomato firmware as download rig. Search on this forum for routers that will suit for this task.

Thanks. I want to access the whole system remotely on the system. Can I presume that I will not be able to install xp on a router? Please suggest.

rockstar1630 said:
Can I presume that I will not be able to install xp on a router? Please suggest.

Yes. Could you install an OS into a router - I quite don't think so. Like greenhorn has said, you can remotely access it from any system through the internet via ftp access. Possibly the hardware which would have the lowest power consumption. A word of caution though - most routers seem to disconnect itself from the internet and/or causes frequent interruptions in the continuos download part. Not sure of the cause though - I have heard many users migrating from this setup to a standalone headless server such as an Atom setup.

1) Procure Asus WL520GU

2) Install DD-WRT

3) Install "Optware the right way"

4) Enjoy Media Streaming(Twonky) and Transmission GUI

I bought the EEEPC 4g for the same purpose, but use only the desktop for downloading 'cause transferring the files is a pain. I think you can buy cheap 13k netbook, but you have to invest in some External 2.5" HDD, 'cause if light goes, then HDD will stop.

foruamit2004 said:
I bought the EEEPC 4g for the same purpose, but use only the desktop for downloading 'cause transferring the files is a pain. I think you can buy cheap 13k netbook, but you have to invest in some External 2.5" HDD, 'cause if light goes, then HDD will stop.

which hdd will stop? the external or internal? External can be powered by a ups to remain switched on.

Buy yourself a used cheap netbook/eepc type device. Very low power footprint .. full blown PC features .. hook it up via Ethernet.

+COMPACT

+VERY LOW POWER REQ.

Back