Audio Suggest some modifications to the portable setup I am thinking of

FaH33m said:
I dunno about DKFT but atleast to my ears an Amp3 did sound noticeable better than Clip+ ,Fuze. But I do agree with him to an extent , all these audiophile players are hyped like anything

Just a sane person :)

I'd choose usability over the last 5 or 10% or whatever those bricks bring and instead spend that money on building a desktop / speaker setup. But, that's just my personal opinion ;)

Going by all this, I guess udac2 and re0 seems to be the safest bet. Little costly but I like the fact that I'll be able to use it on my pc as well, with the m50 I plan to buy later.

FaH33m said:
I dunno about DKFT but atleast to my ears an Amp3 did sound noticeable better than Clip+ ,Fuze. But I do agree with him to an extent , all these audiophile players are hyped like anything .I bet most of these Chinese products manufacturing cost isn't even half of what its retailed for.800$ for a PMP , just not my cup of tea. Sflo + Pico Slim would also be cheaper than that :rofl:.
yeah they do charge a lot thats because it does not sell that much(...also because even if they simply cant make enough....if it was priced lower .....i heard the 801 uses an old DAC chip that has been discontinued years ago ...they simply cant make thousands of it )

....moreover i heard the 801 can drive even the AKGs!!

strategy said:
yeah they do charge a lot thats because it does not sell that much(...also because even if they simply cant make enough....if it was priced lower .....i heard the 801 uses an old DAC chip that has been discontinued years ago ...they simply cant make thousands of it )

....moreover i heard the 801 can drive even the AKGs!!
There's a lot of difference between driving a pair of headphone and driving it well.I have come across a lot of users claiming that a Sflo or a portable amp like E7 etc drives their 300 Ohm HD650s ,AKG 701s etc. I beg to differ .Having tried out the 650s and AKG 702s I know how much insane amount of power it needs to sound its best. The 650s especially sound little veiled until the sound opens up with a powerful amp.

Nothing but a good desktop amp drives the 702s ,650s to their best. All those people who say their portable setup drives it are just talking about satisfactory sound coming out of the headphones. High end portable amps like Pico Slim,Alo RX,Headstage Arrow etc might come close to the beefy desktop amps. Most important thing to keep in mind is that every portable gear's power is limited by its battery. :)

Its same as saying a Fuze or Clip+ drives the RE-0 which is partially true but everyone knows that to get the best out of what RE-0 is capable of ,one really needs a good amp.

Vasishta.Sushant said:
Just ordered RE-0 from head direct for 90 USD.

Now the rest of the setup will be built over this thing.

Any suggestions now ?
Congrats on the RE-0. To enjoy them to their fullest I would suggest atleast the Sflo if you dont want to invest in a expensive amp. If you can invest in a portable hi-end amp than something like ipod/Fuze >> line out + amp would make the RE-0 sound brilliant.

FaH33m said:
T

Congrats on the RE-0. To enjoy them to their fullest I would suggest atleast the Sflo if you dont want to invest in a expensive amp. If you can invest in a portable hi-end amp than something like ipod/Fuze >> line out + amp would make the RE-0 sound brilliant.

Thanks. But I guess I am all zeroed on to the UDAC2. I just want to get out of this mess.

My friend will be coming over to India on 20th next month, who will bring along the UDAC2 with him. Till that time, I'll probably get the RE0 and will put it for the burn in.

I have already exhausted nearly half of my budget. And the rest is planned to be exhausted in buying the UDAC2 (130USD). If you have any other suggestion, please let me know. I can probably order something else, than the UDAC2.

If I get vacillated again, SFlo2 will be the one I'll be buying. I am still allowing myself a weeks time, before I pull the trigger for the second half.

sid1712 said:
Well, I'm free tomorrow/day after. You can listen to the flo and the M50's then
Thats just so great dude. Lemme patch up some time with you. I wish I get the RE0s soon. I can check them with the SFlo2, before going for the UDAC2.

If you have ordered RE-0 from head-direct.com , they should be here in 10-15 days most probably. Do try it with a Sflo once before finally pulling the trigger on uDAC II . uDAC II would be good but you will lose out on portability .Infact I love the uDAC + RE-0 synergy so much that I just wish NuForce made a uDAC mobile .:p

FaH33m said:
If you have ordered RE-0 from head-direct.com , they should be here in 10-15 days most probably. Do try it with a Sflo once before finally pulling the trigger on uDAC II . uDAC II would be good but you will lose out on portability .Infact I love the uDAC + RE-0 synergy so much that I just wish NuForce made a uDAC mobile .:p
Udac mobile is already there dude. Nuforce.com | Personal | Desktop | Mobile | NE-7M

Also I don't need something when I am out traveling or for outdoors. I just need this setup for night time sleeping :p Udac2 is little misfit but can be accommodated.

I am not sure but I just feel like the UDAC2 + RE0 combo will sound MUCH better than SFlo2 + RE0 combo.

What would be your take with these two ?

Vasishta.Sushant said:

Not really! Icon Mobile is not that great.

My iBasso T3 sounds very decent with RE0. u-DAC2 should be much better. In fact, uDAC is one of those few things that drive Koss KSC75 well (of course aside of D1). None of my portable players do.

But, using uDAC-2 as a sleep-time listening rig, I have my doubts. A portable player with idle time switch off combined with an Amp like Arrow 12HE which could shut down on pulling the IEM out - seems better to me.

Congratulations on your purchase Vasishta.Sushant.

I know how it is after long hrs of contemplating, you finally decide to take the plunge on audiophile stuff. The Re0 are very unique in their own way. YMMV obviously.

They do require a lotta amping(for iems). If you find the sound not punchy or not Full enuf, its cuz they're not getting enuf power to do their job. Do not underestimate the amping portion. Call it a design issue or watever u want that they fixed with the ReZero but the fact still remains, that it truely is the best contender for the best 200$ Iem.

I remember pairing faheem's Re0 with the udac and hotaudio dac with my macbookpro and i was blown away with the treble extension. Listening to the sound pickup from a silent portion on a trance track simply makes the $$ worth it.

Wat a treble extension!!!!!! Pure Bliss!!!

My present Tf10's dont really pull the treble that beautifully. And thats a fact. Might even take the same plunge myself.

Altho it would be wierd to get an Re0 after the Tf10's. ;)

Vasishta.Sushant said:
But what would be your take on the other part. SFlo2 or udac2 ?
Can't give a comparison. When i tried the udac, i tried it with the Re0 and not the TF10.

And i haven't tried the Re0 with the Sflo2. My rig rite now is the Sflo2 -> Tf10(which was not there when i auditioned the udac).

I don't even think that its a valid question. You can't compare a dac with a pmp.

I can tell you that the sflo2 is excellent for its price as a pmp. The uDac might sound better since its drawing power from a pc(so it would have an ample amount). But then again the Sflo2 has dual wolfson dacs FTW.

If you see the big picture, what i did was get the best Pmp(Sflo2), got the best IEM(TF10) so now atleast my portable rig is complete. (Ok custom remolding is still on the list......ehh!!)

In your case, you can get both since they both satisfy their respective areas. But eventually.

OT

How would you guys like to extend the storage capacity of the clip+.As in if we could add the hard disk of the Ipod Classic to Clip+ , would you think people would be interested in such a mod.

Alright, I took the plunge and seemingly the search has ended. My RE-0 has already been shipped and I bought UDAC from Vijay Chaudhary, would be here probably by this weekend.

Wanted to buy the UDAC-2 but somehow the saving of odd 2300/- bucks made me lean towards the UDAC.

I am just hoping that I won't have to upgrade again :p

Enjoy the combo. :)

While I have not heard them together, Faheem speaks very highly about the synergy between the udac and RE0. :D

Man I just received the UDAC. In the office. Couldn't resist so opened it up and now listening to it with a 250 bucks iball phones. No wonder this thing sounds shit. Can't wait for the RE-0s to be here.

Amazing packing done by Vijay Chaudhary (BuyGmaingStuff) and shipping time was phenomenal. Landed at my doorstep in less than 24hrs. Big thanks to him for the deal.

He gave the bill as well and the best thing is that the thing is working. I am assuming that it'll sound a lot better with my CX500s, when I reach back home. (Right now trying some youtube videos just to check the channel balance issues at low volume).

The build quality is sturdy but its not top notch. The headphone out jack is not centrally aligned with the outer case (its touching one of the sides of the outer circle).

The device is really small. Just a bit bigger than the homelite matchbox.

Seems like I'll have to go home early. :D

Back