Suggest Split AC for approx 10X12 ft room - Chennai

Grim

Disciple
My friend is planning to buy an Split AC after moving to Chennai.
As we scanned through market we are confused about which brand to go for? He is planned to buy 1 ton Split AC.

Please suggest which brand to go for having atleast ok ok A.S.S and 5 Star rating (BEE).
And please suggest which is better Conventional AC or Inverter Ac?
Budget: Around 25-30k.

Room Dimension: 10 X 12 ft (i.e 120 sqft)
Room Place: Its in First floor and doesn't get direct sunlight either on the roof (i.e. there is a second floor) or on any walls.
Window: 1 small (having curtains) and also there is a house next to the window.
Usage: Approx 10-12 hrs a day.
Number of people using the room: 2 ppl
Heating devices in Room: 1 desktop computer and the room is away from the kitchen.

Thanks for your expert advice in advance.

Yeah a 1T AC seems ok for your conditions.

Panasonic has decent A.S.S. in Chennai. OGeneral and Daikin should be good too. Sharp seems a bit scarce - very few dealers - but service might be ok.

5 star rated split AC prices tend to be quite high - a quick check shows they are roughly at the 30K mark. In that case it might be better to spend another 5k or so and pick up an Inverter AC. How many months in a year is your friend expecting to use it?

@Eddy: Its Chennai. So that would make it 11 months out of a year. :p

I'd also suggest LG. Their A.S.S. was pretty good for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Eddy Vince is right in Chennai Ac will be used 10-11 months in a year.:(
but even after putting 5k more wont give inverter Ac's, as i checked the market price goes from 40k and keeps on skyrocketing..
If my friend goes for conventional AC then - LG, Daikin and Sharp would be a better choice right.. (currently, Is sharp still good?)
Will try to select some models and share it here.. :happy:

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you sure about the Inverter AC prices? A 1.5T itself starts from ~40K. The 1 Tons will be cheaper. A TE member reported prices as low as ~31K.
If its being used for 10 months a year, the electricity savings will offset the higher prices of the inverter ACs.

Among conventional ACs, I'd stick with Panasonic, OGeneral and Daikin. LG generally isn't that well built, and they're having build quality issues even with their expensive inverter models. Sharp non-inverters use the older R22 gas, which should be avoided since its due to be phased out (and not eco-friendly).

Sharp 1 ton inverter should be available for 32-33k , panasonic 1.5 ton inverter is available for 37k in delhi & sharp 1.5 ton is 39k , Godrej also has a 1 ton inverter model, they have only launched inverter in 1 ton capacity , probably will be cheaper than others.

The price of sharp AH-XP13LV in Chennai was like 42k in vivek including all costs and in Croma - 37k excluding installation and stabilizer..
Couldn't find any other good models in either Vivek or Croma..

In conventional it was Hitachi costing 42k.. 1.2 ton

Yeah Sharp prices in Chennai were really high, even when we were looking for one. There's a Sharp exclusive showroom in Velachery - I think it might be this. Try your luck there.

Otherwise look at Panasonic. In Chennai the Panny 1.5T inverter was ~40K from Girias, so the 1T has to be less. For non-inverters, we found prices were a little better at the Panasonic brand shops.

I m not a pro in ACs but read in other thread where a member got really low electricity bill (some where around 1300 bucks) with his Inverter AC. Initial investment might be bit high but if it is going to be used for 10-11 months a year and even if one is able to save 400-500 bucks per month, saving will be close to 6K in a year.

Guys.. bit change in plans even i need to buy a Slit AC along with my friend having same requirements
We will be going to take split AC since, our usage will change from next year - 2014 (might move back to Bangalore)
The usage will drop to 4-6 hrs in day and 4-6 months in a year
So is Bluestar, Hitachi and Carrier good? heard a lot about them...

Back