Suggest - Sunflower Oil or Groundnut Oil .. ?

Emperor

Skilled
Hello Friends,

Is Sunflower Oil as Good As Groundnut Oil?

Few decades ago (as per my knowledge), there were only 2 main oil that as consumer we knows are Pam Oli & Groundnut (Sing Tel).

Now there are lots of types/brands oil avail on market.

While on purchase for oil, shopkeeper suggest us to go with Sunflower Oil as it is good and most of buyer now prefer Sunflower Oil over Groundnut Oil.

So what cooking oil are you using and if using sunflower is good to use it for daily needs (cook, fry etc. etc),

Please Suggest your best

Professional chef here.

Use any neutral-tasting oil for stir-fry, searing, vaghar, etc. (I use Sunflower or Canola in my daily home cooking, the hotel I work in uses a blend of soybean & sunflower)
Use refined groundnut oil for deep frying as it has a high smoke point and provides a better frying experience and end-product.
Use cold-pressed oils for flavoring (mustard, coconut, and sesame oils lend so much flavor to dishes).

Generally, the difference in regards to health between these refined oils is so negligible (unless it's the unholy palmolien oil, avoid that please) in a daily lifestyle that it doesn't matter that much in the long run. Unless and until, you have a person who has an allergy or a diabetic body that needs specific oil and ingredient control; any oil is good if it suits your taste. Even then if you would like to explore healthier options, Saffola blends for diabetes and normal cooking are good options.

What matters more is the correct application and usage of oils according to their smoke points, flavor, and availability so you can utilize most of the oil's benefits.

Happy Cooking!

I'll suggest soyabean oil as that is rich in Vitamin K.

1697629722668.png

Source: https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/VitaminK-HealthProfessional/

Last edited:
Professional chef here.

Use any neutral-tasting oil for stir-fry, searing, vaghar, etc. (I use Sunflower or Canola in my daily home cooking, the hotel I work in uses a blend of soybean & sunflower)
Use refined groundnut oil for deep frying as it has a high smoke point and provides a better frying experience and end-product.
Use cold-pressed oils for flavoring (mustard, coconut, and sesame oils lend so much flavor to dishes).

Generally, the difference in regards to health between these refined oils is so negligible (unless it's the unholy palmolien oil, avoid that please) in a daily lifestyle that it doesn't matter that much in the long run. Unless and until, you have a person who has an allergy or a diabetic body that needs specific oil and ingredient control; any oil is good if it suits your taste. Even then if you would like to explore healthier options, Saffola blends for diabetes and normal cooking are good options.

What matters more is the correct application and usage of oils according to their smoke points, flavor, and availability so you can utilize most of the oil's benefits.

Happy Cooking!
Good information from Pro.Chef, but unable to use different oil for different .... can use Sunflower oil for all needs as it's economical compare to Groundnut oil?

Good information from Pro.Chef, but unable to use different oil for different .... can use Sunflower oil for all needs as it's economical compare to Groundnut oil?
Go with Sunflower oil then. I can vouch for it as I use it personally and it seems to be fine in the cooking I do with it (Mostly cook North Indian, East Asian & Rajasthani cuisines).

Sunflower oil for frying. Sesame oil for cooking. My parents prefer sesame oil for everything for its health benefits while I prefer sunflower oil as sesame oil will affect the flavor of certain things like idli powder.

I do something similar to what @TheNawab said. Refined sunflower oil for dry cooked veggies, mustard oil for curries, olive oil for Paratha, pasta, etc. I also change the oil every month. Once Sunflower gets over, I switch to canola for the next month.

If you can't use different oil for different things, change the oil every month. That's the best option. No one type of food has all nutrients. Eating from a variety of sources is the best way to ensure you get all nutrients.

P.S. I don't know where you are from, but I hadn't heard of groundnut oil till 5 years ago. In Kolkata, it was all mustard oil.

I alternate between Sunflower Oil and Rice bran oil. Rice bran oil is similar to sunflower oil but its less sticky than sunflower oil. I tried a blend of sunflower and rice bran oil but that was just overpriced stuff imo which was marketed as healthy oil.

I am using cold pressed Sunflower, Safflower and Groundnut oil since almost 3 years and can say it is really good for health. It's bit costly but cheaper then medicine.

I alternate between Sunflower Oil and Rice bran oil. Rice bran oil is similar to sunflower oil but its less sticky than sunflower oil. I tried a blend of sunflower and rice bran oil but that was just overpriced stuff imo which was marketed as healthy oil.
isn't it LESS STICKY means they removed fat etc. and in that process kill good fat (vitamins that are good for health).

Just like hair oil makers remove stickiness from hair oil and hair expert claim that such Non-Stick oil have zero value/nutrition for hair growth/health?

there is good deal on Grocery, Oil, Sugar etc. on JioMart check if they deliver in your city/address

We have been using Sesame oil for daily use and sunflower oil for deep frying since my childhood. Sesame oil tastes good, but make sure it is not adulterated. We usually get the cold pressed one from a known mill at a nearby village. Now a days it is very hard to find a good brand sesame oil online. AFAIK, Idhayam was a popular brand back in those days and I think it is now being sold online on various portals.

I do something similar to what @TheNawab said. Refined sunflower oil for dry cooked veggies, mustard oil for curries, olive oil for Paratha, pasta, etc. I also change the oil every month. Once Sunflower gets over, I switch to canola for the next month.

If you can't use different oil for different things, change the oil every month. That's the best option. No one type of food has all nutrients. Eating from a variety of sources is the best way to ensure you get all nutrients.

P.S. I don't know where you are from, but I hadn't heard of groundnut oil till 5 years ago. In Kolkata, it was all mustard oil.
which brand do you use for olive oil? I used Olitalia but its OOS on Amazon now,

As for us its mainly cold pressed Mustard Oil, we grow our own mustard and get it cold-pressed from a local place. I use Sunflower oil when I need a neutral-tasting oil and mom sometimes uses Groundnut Oil for frying
Go with Sunflower oil then. I can vouch for it as I use it personally and it seems to be fine in the cooking I do with it (Mostly cook North Indian, East Asian & Rajasthani cuisines).
hey, I always seem to find you in food-related threads :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:, have you got any recommendations for olive oil (EVOO) brands? I used to use Olitalia but its OOS now on Amazon

We have been using Sesame oil for daily use and sunflower oil for deep frying since my childhood. Sesame oil tastes good, but make sure it is not adulterated. We usually get the cold pressed one from a known mill at a nearby village. Now a days it is very hard to find a good brand sesame oil online. AFAIK, Idhayam was a popular brand back in those days and I think it is now being sold online on various portals.
Yeah, as a bangali, that's the way to go. Sesame oil runs in our veins :tearsofjoy:

Last edited:
Am a chef by profession so yeah :happy:
Thats why I love it :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:, your recommendations are really good and you are my only source for recommendations since I dont know any Indian specific cooking communities.
I use Borges EVOO personally. Quite a balanced flavor profile on that one. Costs around ₹1.3k per litre on Amazon I believe. I usually purchase the commercial 15l packs through my professional supply channels.
After digging around on reddit, Colavita and Olitalia were the brands that really sell EVOO according to peeps there and they seem to be popular in Italian subs too, Borges from reddit dont actually sell proper EVOO (not really sure how to distinguish this), I coughed up the money for Olitalia because I only use olive oil for making Foccacia, or Gnocchi or any other Italian Pasta dishes when I am feeling fancy but if Borges is fine, my wallet will be really happy

After digging around on reddit, Colavita and Olitalia were the brands that really sell EVOO according to peeps there and they seem to be popular in Italian subs too, Borges from reddit dont actually sell proper EVOO (not really sure how to distinguish this), I coughed up the money for Olitalia because I only use olive oil for making Foccacia, or Gnocchi or any other Italian Pasta dishes when I am feeling fancy but if Borges is fine, my wallet will be really happy
Oh you want that true true EVOO...
A firm called Chenab something imports an olive oil from Spain called SOL if I remember correctly. We used to get that for salad topping in one hotel. Top of the line stuff. Might be on Amazon, might be not. I remember seeing Chenab's Amazon page a while back. Please check and do update here if they are selling it.

EDIT: Found it.
Chenab Impex

A firm called Chenab something imports an olive oil from Spain called SOL if I remember correctly. We used to get that for salad topping in one hotel. Top of the line stuff. Might be on Amazon, might be not. I remember seeing Chenab's Amazon page a while back. Please check and do update here if they are selling it.
Damn, that SOL stuff is even more expensive than olitalia, its cheaper on this site (I am assuming its their site) https://www.chenabgourmet.com/shop/sol-spanish-extra-virgin-olive-oil/

EDIT: Found it.
Chenab Impex
btw, is this true EVOO even worth it? I'll be honest I'm a pleb when it comes to stuff like this, I just wanted an authentic experience, so I got the Olitalia and a couple packs of La Molisana pasta, just to see how it really tastes like. If the difference is negligible, I'll just get the cheaper stuff

btw, is this true EVOO even worth it? I'll be honest I'm a pleb when it comes to stuff like this, I just wanted an authentic experience, so I got the Olitalia and a couple packs of La Molisana pasta, just to see how it really tastes like. If the difference is negligible, I'll just get the cheaper stuff

Pretty subjective if you ask me. It takes years of practice and experience to gauge and grade food items correctly. I am nowhere near that level yet despite being a chef but I do often find differences in quality when tasting such high valued food items. If you have the budget to get something on higher quality, you should go for it.

My dad's first job was of tea grading in Kolkata, and after drinking the expensive tea he gets for the house since I was a kid, I hate the commercial brands and their bitter taste. So it is wise to consider that once you get a taste of something of a higher quality, the difference once blurry becomes apparent when you degrade again.

Back