Mac OS Suggest the right Hackintosh version.

Guys. I have been using Mac OS as my primary OS for quite sometime and would like to install it on my PC too. I know what it takes and I am doing it just because I want to try it out.

I have never been there, so am confused.

My PC is old but it should run Leopard.

ECS P4M800-M Motherboard
Intel Celeron D 2.26 GHz (32-bit, Has SSE2 & SSE3)

1 GB DDR 400
160GB Seagate PATA

Nvidia FX 5200 128MB AGP
AOC 22" Full HD

Which version should I download? My connection is very slow, so please factor that into the decision. Would like to keep the download file size as small as possible.

Try iPC, its the best distro for older PCs. As for your graphics card, you'll have to go for a boot.plist string. Google "Graphics Strings AGP" for more info on that

a5hr1th said:
Try iPC, its the best distro for older PCs. As for your graphics card, you'll have to go for a boot.plist string. Google "Graphics Strings AGP" for more info on that
iPC, never heard about it.

So I have to put that .plist in the ISO before installing, right?

hellknight_mnd said:
Everything will work on your PC except that Graphics card.. i think you could try the Kalyway releases.. it is the most popular release..

Graphics Card? Apple has made Macs with this graphics card I believe.

And my Mobo is a sickly VIA. That's what I thought could be incompatible.

bikalpapaudel said:
Which version should I download? My connection is very slow, so please factor that into the decision. Would like to keep the download file size as small as possible.

I honestly suggest investing some time searching though the InsanelyMac forums to check if your hardware is compatible or not. With regard to distros, Kalyway has always been highly regarded, i've used that with no issues, although i myself swear by iAtkos.

Also, a Hackintosh install constitutes quite a lot of reading and trial and error, so be prepared

^ I've heard about iPC iAtkos being good too. The version of iDeneb I got did not work. Will have to source the latest one of iPC (for it's extensive hardware support) from somewhere.

Thanks for the opinion. :)

+1 to iAtkos.

i used iDeneb in my amd pc. deneb was an AMD cpu codename.maybe its meant for amd machines.

It depends. Your system is quite old so it may not be compatible with Leopard, let alone Snow Leopard.

I'd say go for Kalyway 10.5.2 or iPC 10.5.6. I've used them both and they are very stable. However, your CPU may be a problem, as support for all xxx D series chips is iffy. Having said that, my info might be out of date, as I've long since moved on to Snow Leopard.

Since you have a MacBook already, you probably already have a Leopard install disc. Look up InsanelyMac for retail install guides. It might require a little more work (and quite a bit of reading), but if you manage to get it working, you can (usually) update seamlessly.

Good luck, and hope it works out for you...

Maestro

It depends. Your system is quite old so it may not be compatible with Leopard, let alone Snow Leopard.
I doubt that is the case for Leopard.

I'd say go for Kalyway 10.5.2 or iPC 10.5.6. I've used them both and they are very stable.
Yeah, maybe I should try to get my hands on the iPC..

However, your CPU may be a problem, as support for all xxx D series chips is iffy.
Celeron D is not a dual core. It's just a Prescott processor, like a Pentium 4 Prescott with lesser cache and FSB. So many people run hackintoshes on P4s.

Since you have a MacBook already, you probably already have a Leopard install disc.
We don't get a retail disc with a branded Apple machine.

Good luck, and hope it works out for you...
Thanks. :)

Back