Suggest Washing Machine, Refrigerator and AC

raghul

The Reaper Is Here
Disciple
first time buying these... shifting to Bangalore .. will be needing these and the budget is around 20k for each WM and Fridge and maybe 30k for AC... for a single person household....looking for efficiency and longevity (good AS service) .... what should i be looking for ? :)

I have bought a fridge and washing machine in the last 2-3 years.
First thing I'd like to tell you, a lot depends on luck. Different people will have good and bad experience with all brands. So don't expect there to be one single best brand which never has any issues.

Washing machine, I'd recommend getting a front loading machine. Reason being that they use less water and clean your clothes better. They don't damage clothes like top loading machines. However, this might not fit in your budget. You can check bosch and IFB's 6 KG machines. This will work for 1-2 people. Wait for sale and avail card discount, if possible. Might bring the price within your budget. I have IFB, running well so far, after 29 months.

For fridge, I'd recommend LG or Godrej. LG has good after sale service. At your budget, you'll only get single door ~190L, which should be fine for single person. However, I'd also recommend looking at Rentomojo. I used their single door fridge for one and half years with no issues and bought my own before I got married. Refrigerator rents are pretty low, that's why I recommend. Washing machine rentals are high and not really worth it unless you plan to move very soon.

Lastly, for AC, I'd recommend you wait and see if you even need an AC. I have relatives living in Bangalore for 10 years and they haven't felt the need to get an AC in their house so far. The weather is fairly pleasant for 9 months a year. If you do feel the need for an AC, you can once again, look at Rentomojo first before deciding to buy. More than the cost of the AC itself, the hassle of getting it fitted and removed is something you will have to worry about, if you're going to live on rent. Moving an AC can be costly affair, can cost in the range of 6-7k. Rentomojo can save you lot of money here.

first time buying these... shifting to Bangalore .. will be needing these and the budget is around 20k for each WM and Fridge and maybe 30k for AC... for a single person household....looking for efficiency and longevity (good AS service) .... what should i be looking for ? :)
How long will you be staying in Bangalore ?

I have bought a fridge and washing machine in the last 2-3 years.
First thing I'd like to tell you, a lot depends on luck. Different people will have good and bad experience with all brands. So don't expect there to be one single best brand which never has any issues.

Washing machine, I'd recommend getting a front loading machine. Reason being that they use less water and clean your clothes better. They don't damage clothes like top loading machines. However, this might not fit in your budget. You can check bosch and IFB's 6 KG machines. This will work for 1-2 people. Wait for sale and avail card discount, if possible. Might bring the price within your budget. I have IFB, running well so far, after 29 months.

For fridge, I'd recommend LG or Godrej. LG has good after sale service. At your budget, you'll only get single door ~190L, which should be fine for single person. However, I'd also recommend looking at Rentomojo. I used their single door fridge for one and half years with no issues and bought my own before I got married. Refrigerator rents are pretty low, that's why I recommend. Washing machine rentals are high and not really worth it unless you plan to move very soon.

Lastly, for AC, I'd recommend you wait and see if you even need an AC. I have relatives living in Bangalore for 10 years and they haven't felt the need to get an AC in their house so far. The weather is fairly pleasant for 9 months a year. If you do feel the need for an AC, you can once again, look at Rentomojo first before deciding to buy. More than the cost of the AC itself, the hassle of getting it fitted and removed is something you will have to worry about, if you're going to live on rent. Moving an AC can be costly affair, can cost in the range of 6-7k. Rentomojo can save you lot of money here.
thanks alot for the advice.. i am not renting it's my family owned home so whatever i buy will be there for it's entire life...by your suggestion i did take a look at rentmojo and most of the things are OOS there .. and i am in the mindset of just buying the appliances.. i have chosen some please do tell if they are worth getting or not :)

LG 190L 5 Star Inverter Direct-Cool Single Door Refrigerator GL-D201APGZ

LG 6.5 Kg 5 Star Inverter Fully-Automatic Front Loading Washing Machine FHT1265ZNW

LG Super Convertible 5-in-1 Cooling 1 Ton 3 Star Split Dual Inverter HD Filter with Anti-Virus Protection AC - White PS-Q12BNXE1

@blr_p will be here for a while :D

Fridge samsung, AC hitachi, wm samsung!
But as said every brand exp. will differ right from serving you loyally to you cursing the brand forever due to one bad exp. Thus, also dig into people reviews here and there and most importantly analyze your needs before investing like you might not be requiring all the product features etc. If you are going to be alone you can even buy used items from olx for 40-60% less price.

If it's a family home and you plan to stay there for a while, just get a 300 litre double door frost free refrigerator. A Godrej will cost you 25-27k. These days refrigerators are incredibly efficient, so not much to worry about in terms of electricity cost.

Washing machine, this one can be considered. Slightly higher capacity for a nominally higher amount than the one you posted

If it's a family home and you plan to stay there for a while, just get a 300 litre double door frost free refrigerator. A Godrej will cost you 25-27k. These days refrigerators are incredibly efficient, so not much to worry about in terms of electricity cost.
Agreed
Washing machine, this one can be considered. Slightly higher capacity for a nominally higher amount than the one you posted
It's not higher capacity, the drum is the same size as the one he linked earlier. Weight ratings change as the years go by. The drum sizes are fixed.

I would advise a larger drum size or the size up. Pay attention that the depth of the machine should be 55cm minimum and NOT 44cm

Possible options are these 8kg machines . See how the depth is 55cm. When i got my machine 6 years ago it was rated for 7kg. But drum size is the same.

No steam

With steam

Add Wi-fi

Add turbo wash
This is a 7kg machine but depth is still 55cm

White colour models are the cheapest in any category

LG 6.5 Kg 5 Star Inverter Fully-Automatic Front Loading Washing Machine FHT1265ZNW
Don't get that one. Get the next size up as I mentioned. You got better things to do than do laundry every day. A bigger machine means less washes so less wear and tear and you do laundry less. Better for the machine and you.

It does not matter if its just for one person. Sales people will always recommend undersize because they have more chances to get the sale. But that is not the right size unless the door allowance is too narrow to get a bigger machine.

@blr_p will be here for a while :D
Before you get a front loader you need to know

- what the water pressure is ? how high up is the water tank from where the machine will be located ?

- how hard the water is. This will have a bearing on the life of the machine. Some parts of Bangalore the water is sourced from borewells and is very hard. Machine will not last more than five years unless you install an ion exchange filter or water softener.

- Check if the machine will enter the doors of the house and whether there is enough space in the room where you intend to keep it

Last edited:
Only thing that is a downer with these LG machines is the 'Rinse Hold' feature has gone missing in the last few years. You have to use 'Delay end' instead.

Or just unplug the mains during the last rinse. Extra work for nothing.

Hitachi appliances are really nice, I have been using the same serviceman for maintenance of my refrigerators for the last 15 years and he told me not to change the Hitachi one due to its reliability and performance. It has been running for around 12 years now, although check for availability of spare parts.

Back