Monitors Suggestion buying Dell U2410/Dell U2311H/Samsung TN panels

vivacious_tg

Skilled
Hi Guys,
I am thinking of buying a 24" monitor and the first in my list is Dell U2410 followed by U2311H and samsung TN panels. The cost of U2410 is ~27.5k and I have not seen any of these monitors,so not sure whether the dell U2410 is really worth its cost.Hence requesting all of you who have experienced the difference to share and help me in making the right decision.
1) Is Dell U2410 proves its worth compared to U2311H in real life.

2) Dell U2311h vs Samsung best TN panels like PX2370.
I am more inclined towards IPS panels for obvious reasons but need some backing up from users seen these monitors. My main usage is surfing, watching HD movies and casual gaming.

Thanks for reading.

I think the TN panels will suffice for most usage, heck I even use it (Acer H203H) cause I had no clue about the Dell U2311H when I got my Gaming-Animation RIG a year back. I haven't seen a U2410 in action but, suffice to say the view on a U2311H was sweet, one of my seniors was using it very good color reproduction noticed on Adobe Photoshop and Corel Painter. If you plan to do anything with intensive colors follow the U2311H path, or if you want to sacrifice a bit on the quality and can live with the added screen-space that is also a perfectly rational thought process.

The Samsung PX2370 has not received much coverage here on TE, but another monitor BenQ G2420 / E2420 has received good response here.

The most comfortable viewing experience for you - PX2370 - Desktop Monitior - Monitor | SAMSUNG

BenQ India | Products - LCD MonitorsScreen Size - 24" & up - E2420HD

Hope this helps.

^ thanks for reply.

This is sort of my last monitor upgrade and while watching a movie on TN panel create problem for those viewing at angles. So, don't want same thing in my new monitor.

As I mentioned earlier I haven't seen any IPS monitor in action. Hence don't want to spend 25K with out knowing if they are worth the price.

Have seen any movie trailer on U2311H how is it compared to TN panel? I don't use video/photo editing softwares.

Well blacks are better whites depends on the quality of the rip quality, but rest assured viewing angles are much much better, so go for a Dell U2311H in my views, happy viewing let others throw in their experience with the Dell U2410. Cheers bruv.

Well I have both TN (to old) and IPS (Dell U2311H). Things I don't like in U2311H is Back light bleeding on bottom left corner, Pink color shades in all black screen and No HDMI with it.

I must say that functions such as Height-Adjustable stand, pivot, tilt and swivel are worthless if your going to use this monitor for normal work Gaming, surfing, movies etc. I bought it in March 2011 and till date I never required to use Height adjustment, because I sit in front of this monitor so Viewing angle problem doesn't exist.

Viewing angle: I have a 24 inch Panasonic LCD TV (cheaper one) and my TV has better viewing angle than Dell U2311H just Rs. 3000 more than Dell U2311H. Sure u2311h has little bit better angle than my samsung LCD monitor.

Build quality of Dell u2311h is very good

Care to remember that LED back let monitor has better black level than CFL monitrs (Dell u2311H). Quality of picture depends upon Panel Type (IPS, TN) and back let technology.

Here is the review of both monitors. Samsung and Dell (I never use or saw PX2370)

Product Face-Offs Monitors - DigitalVersus

Samsung PX2370 is an excellent monitor. While Dell U2311H is an excellent entry level IPS panel @ price comparable to the TN panels out there. Though it does suffer from black light bleeding as MrRIG has stated. I don't understand why dell has not fixed that as a revised model. No HDMI is a drawback as well otherwise an excellent panel.
Does U2311H comes with bundled DVI cable?..

My preference from the two would be Dell U2311H for the better color reproduction and crisper images.

if i were you, id wait till July, U2410 (10 stands for the year), and july we will have new Monitor offerings from Dell, so am i told by a reliable source , but thats US launch, India launch maybe 1 month extra mostly, I'd Prefer the U2410 over U2311 anyday , cos of the color Calibration Gamut and ability to produce colors and over all IPS panel is IPS panel

WingZero said:
Samsung PX2370 is an excellent monitor. While Dell U2311H is an excellent entry level IPS panel @ price comparable to the TN panels out there. Though it does suffer from black light bleeding as MrRIG has stated. I don't understand why dell has not fixed that as a revised model. No HDMI is a drawback as well otherwise an excellent panel.

Does U2311H comes with bundled DVI cable?..

My preference from the two would be Dell U2311H for the better color reproduction and crisper images.
Dell U2311H comes with DVI-D and VGA Cable. I bought Dell U2311H for Rs. 14600 form SMC International whereas Samsung PX2370 was available around the same price at that time. Make sure whenever you buy the product Maximum Retail Price should not be more than the amount you paid as in may case MRP was aprox 1500 less than I actually paid.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

ryanrulez4ever said:
if i were you, id wait till July, U2410 (10 stands for the year), and july we will have new Monitor offerings from Dell, so am i told by a reliable source , but thats US launch, India launch maybe 1 month extra mostly, I'd Prefer the U2410 over U2311 anyday , cos of the color Calibration Gamut and ability to produce colors and over all IPS panel is IPS panel
Sure, U2410 better than U2311h but the price difference is huge. Further a graphic related work is more suited for Dell U2410 than U2311H.

I have a 2311H and like all the other ones, it has backlight bleeding on left hand bottom, but i can live with it and its a very good monitor, there have been many users who have got their monitors replaced due to this also.

TechHead said:
Actually, from the ones I've seen, QA on the 2311 is markedly better than on the 2410. YMMV, of course.
Sire, what's QA?

@OP: You really can't go wrong with the 2311. It's fabulous panel for the money, however the U2410 owns its place in its segment.
My observations with the u2410:
1. The tilt swivel is to die for.
2. The USB hub $ucks. It performs well, but loses power when monitor is turned off.
3. The PQ is brilliant post caliberation effort. OOTB its pathetic for the price.
4. Scaling is virtually non-existant. The panel fit is ghastly so plan for a decent gpu/source which can handle 1200p native.
5. Connectivity options pwn eveything else.

I confess I am dumb and hate cable shifting, and I have a plethora of devices to play/work with.
MBP (over DP)
Primary rig (DVI),
an experimental atom over vga,
PS3 when my plasma is serving crappy serials or kids' programming. (HDMI)

Not bad for the comfort/convenience and quality i'd say!

MrRIG said:
Well I have both TN (to old) and IPS (Dell U2311H). Things I don't like in U2311H is Back light bleeding on bottom left corner, Pink color shades in all black screen and No HDMI with it.

HDMI = DVI (for video) + Audio. For a monitor without speakers, you wont need a audio channel anyways. As far as PQ is concerned, DVI and HDMI are one and the same. Absence of HDMI might be a slight inconvenience (if your source has only HDMI) but if the DVI cable is supplied, then you are not losing out on picture quality.

On the other hand, I think it has a display port which can be used with ATI cards directly.

Once you go to an IPS you'll never really like TN.

I have the 2220M or L or something as a occasional-use monitor, it's a backlit LED panel (only edge) and the backlight bleed is far, far worse than the notorious 3008WFP (which I also have).

Actually the contrast is so low as to be next to unusable as a daily monitor. The black is not black, it's kind of very dark bluish-grey.

The biggest issue with a IPS panel is the shimmer. It's difficult to explain unless you experience it. If you are not bothered by a bit of grain, IPS is definitely the way to go.

BTW even my TV at home is a IPS panel. PVA gives deeper black but worse everywhere else.

TN just does not cut it. It's cheap. And looks like it.

Back