Budget 41-50k Suggestion for a small from factor rig

Parv

Adept
Questions

Basically I'm looking to build a really small form factor build which is at least comparable in performance to my existing build if not better. I'm currently looking at Intel NUC, ASRock DeskMini X300, Apple Mac Mini M1 and ITX Build.

1. What is your budget?
    • The less the better but I can go up to buying Apple Mac Mini M1 if that comes out to be final recommendation.
  2. What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
    • CPU - Intel Core i5 6500
    • Motherboard - Gigabyte G1.Sniper B7
    • RAM - Corsair 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 2400 MHz dual channel kit
    • SSD - Samsung 850 EVO 250GB
    • HDD - Western Digital 1TB Blue 7200 RPM
    • Monitor - BenQ EW3280U 32" 4K
    • Case - Corsair Carbide Spec 3
    • PSU - Seasonic S12II 620w
    • K/B+Mouse: Cooler Master Octane Bundle
    • Mousepad: Steelseries COD Black OPS II
    • DVD Drive: Asus DVD drive
    • CPU cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 103
  3. Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
    • Monitor - BenQ EW3280U 32" 4K
  4. Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
  5. Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
    • Yes, might upgrade the following in future if it's Mini-ITX build
    • GPU
  6. Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
    • Bangalore
    • Open to online purchase
  7. Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
    • Yes
  8. What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
    • Photo Editing
    • Browsing
    • Desktop Processing
    • Occasional MATLAB and CAD work (not very intensive)
  9. Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
    • None
  10. If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
    • Extremely occasionally NFS type
  11. What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
    1. Gaming - 1980x1080
    2. Desktop - 3840x2160
  12. Are you looking to overclock?
    • Not really
  13. Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
    • Windows 10 64 bit
    • Mac OS incase of Mac Mini M1
Not really considering ITX build as well unless it comes out better than other three options. I know DeskMini and Apple Mac Mini M1 are way more powerful than NUC but will the NUC be OK for stated usage. If yes, than obviously NUC is the choice as it's cheaper and cuter with good 3 years warranty.

Please pour in your suggestions. Thanks

I think you can go with 16GB RAM for usage mentioned.

For Intel based system, NUC; for AMD based system, AsRock DeskMini are perfect options; IMO. One advantage of AsRock DeskMini is processor upgradability. Also APU gives much better iGPU performance where you can do casual gaming. I think @ruiner21 has got DeskMini.

Unless you are looking to game, I do not think DIY Mini-ITX build is worth exploring. But if you want to explore it, I wonder if build will be done around your budget.

I have also placed an order for Kingston A2000 500GB NVMe SSD and 2 x Crucial 8GB 2666MHz SODIMM.

NUC or Deskmini X300, both will require NVMe SSD and SODIMM, so ordered above anyway.

@ruiner21 please share your Deskmini config and experience.

the problem with Mini Itx builds in India is the cost you end up paying for a good Mini Itx MoBo and a Good SFX power supply(Small form factor PSU)
in my case just the Asus rog Mini ITX board and the SFX 650W supply took away 26k of my budget , even after buying it from US and carrying it with a friend
In india the same would have been 32k

The intel NUC tend to be an easier platform as long as you dont have GPU dreams
Any Nuc 8th gen i3 and up will serve your needs as a regular desktop
16gb is more then enough for the needs you have listed

with the money saved by going with a NUC build , you can either buy an earlier gen XBOX or PS for the gaming itch :) whenever it arises

@Parv I currently own the Deskmini A300. I am using it with a 3400G and 2 x 8Gb Crucial basic 2666Mhz ram, along with a couple of ssds and a hdd. I've used a couple of NUCs in the past, not the 8th gen cpu versions, older, but the form factor has not changed for the past several years.

Both the Deskmini and the NUC are excellent options. If you want a bit more flexibility than the NUC, wherein you can add more storage drives (2 x m.2 2280 + 2x 2.5 inch),need more CPU power or change or upgrade the CPU if and when needed, the Deskmini would be a better option.
The NUCs are smaller in size as compared to the Deskmini, and they dont have the additional hassle of figuring out if your stock cooler will work fit in (the Deskmini can accomodate only the smallest wraith cooler, the ones that come with Ryzen 3 series, that too with the shroud off). While the laptop CPUs that are in the NUCs are plenty good for general everyday use, they will still be slower than Desktop Ryzen parts, the Deskmini X300 will accept even 8 core APUs.

So there are pros and cons to both, but I prefer the Deskmini for the flexibility.

@Parv I currently own the Deskmini A300. I am using it with a 3400G and 2 x 8Gb Crucial basic 2666Mhz ram, along with a couple of ssds and a hdd. I've used a couple of NUCs in the past, not the 8th gen cpu versions, older, but the form factor has not changed for the past several years.

Both the Deskmini and the NUC are excellent options. If you want a bit more flexibility than the NUC, wherein you can add more storage drives (2 x m.2 2280 + 2x 2.5 inch),need more CPU power or change or upgrade the CPU if and when needed, the Deskmini would be a better option.
The NUCs are smaller in size as compared to the Deskmini, and they dont have the additional hassle of figuring out if your stock cooler will work fit in (the Deskmini can accomodate only the smallest wraith cooler, the ones that come with Ryzen 3 series, that too with the shroud off). While the laptop CPUs that are in the NUCs are plenty good for general everyday use, they will still be slower than Desktop Ryzen parts, the Deskmini X300 will accept even 8 core APUs.

So there are pros and cons to both, but I prefer the Deskmini for the flexibility.
Thanks for detailed explanation.

I read somewhere that you can flash newer bios to A300 amd use AMD 4000 series processor too. Have you tried that? Is it possible?

Any idea about X300 availability and price?

the problem with Mini Itx builds in India is the cost you end up paying for a good Mini Itx MoBo and a Good SFX power supply(Small form factor PSU)
in my case just the Asus rog Mini ITX board and the SFX 650W supply took away 26k of my budget , even after buying it from US and carrying it with a friend
In india the same would have been 32k

The intel NUC tend to be an easier platform as long as you dont have GPU dreams
Any Nuc 8th gen i3 and up will serve your needs as a regular desktop
16gb is more then enough for the needs you have listed

with the money saved by going with a NUC build , you can either buy an earlier gen XBOX or PS for the gaming itch :) whenever it arises
Thanks. I have absolutely dropped the idea of ITX build as the component availability itself is main issue, price is another issue.

I don't play games as of now so either of NUC/Deskmini/Mac Mini M1 is ok. NUC is also absolutely fine as long as it is good enough for casual Lightroom/MATLAB use.

Thanks for detailed explanation.

I read somewhere that you can flash newer bios to A300 amd use AMD 4000 series processor too. Have you tried that? Is it possible?

Any idea about X300 availability and price?
Ive seen a few beta BIOS that support the new 4xxx APUs, but I dont own any 4xxx APU (yet), hence never bothered, as some people had problems with the Beta Bios ( a very early version).

The Deskmini is roughly the size of an ATX PSU, so its not much bigger than a NUC.
I purchased the Deskmini from Devraj Computers. They should have the X300 too by now.

Ive seen a few beta BIOS that support the new 4xxx APUs, but I dont own any 4xxx APU (yet), hence never bothered, as some people had problems with the Beta Bios ( a very early version).

The Deskmini is roughly the size of an ATX PSU, so its not much bigger than a NUC.
I purchased the Deskmini from Devraj Computers. They should have the X300 too by now.
Are you in Chennai? Or it was shipped to your place?

I checked with them in the morning and X300 might be available by end of Jan 2021.

Which CPU cooler are you using? Stock AMD?

That's great. I'm seeing 7-8k everywhere.

Can you share the link?
Its cheaper now.

I have the chromax version.

For the chromax l9i version you need a bracket from noctua for am4 socket.

Its cheaper now.

I have the chromax version.

For the chromax l9i version you need a bracket from noctua for am4 socket.
Thanks. Where from you got the AM4 bracket?

Back