Suggestion for CPU components

viva1986

Disciple
my friend is going to purchase a CPU. He is a professional graphics designer and has good budget i.e.(50 to 60k only for cpu components). suggest the CPU config. having good speed. My consideration for this CPU are-:

Proccy-:
1. amd x6 1100 T
2. amd phenomII x4 965 black edition
3. intel core i5 2500k sandy bridge
4. intel core i7 2600k sandy bridge

out of these i am thinking from of these i5 2500k and amd x6 1100t.

and for other options i am still searching.
Here is the template which i forgot-:
Q: What is your budget?
upto 50K
Q: What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
Don't know what he has right now but he wants to purchase all components of CPU new no upgradation at all.
Q: Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
Not applicable
Q: Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
CPU - AMD x6 1100 T or Intel i5 2500K
Motherboard - any compatible motherboard
Suggest me best in either case
Q: Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
No upgradation
Q: Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
Delhi
Q: Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
No
Q: What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
Graphics Designing Professionally
Browsing
Desktop Processing
Q: Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
Any brand with good after sales service in delhi.
Q: If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
games like Call Of Duty
RPG - GTA
Strategy - Civilization 4
Racing - NFS, Grid at medium to high settings
Q: What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
Gaming - 1280x728
Desktop - 1440x900
Q: Are you looking to overclock?
No
Q: Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
Windows 7 64 bit

For the options that you have given the 2600k is the best for graphics designing as it will take upto 8 threads to process.

I think graphics designing also takes lot of time to render so, I will suggest go for 2600k and OC it and life will be fast :D

i5 2500k - 11275

asus maximus IV gene z - 13015

gskill 8gb ram[4gb x 2] - 3100

corsair TX750 - 6000

MSI 6950 - 14850

NZXT Guardian - 4200

HDD 1 TB ~ 5500

Total ~ 58k

Pro-Intel i5 2400-10.9K[OP doesn't want to overclock so no point in suggesting i5 2500k]

Mobo-Intel DH67BL-B3-5.6K

Ram-Corsair xms3 2X4gb-3.3k or Gskill ripjaws X 2X4gb-3.4k

Psu-Seasonic s12ii 620w-4.6k or Corsair tx650v2-5.2k

Gpu-i would suggest you to wait for Amd hd7XXX series which will release in q1 2012.

Case-Nzxt gamma-2.1k

Hdd-seagate 1tb 7200rpm-6k

Total-33k,you will have 15k to add gpu,you will get 7850 or 7870 till prices calm down.

thegatekeeper said:
Pro-Intel i5 2400-10.9K[OP doesn't want to overclock so no point in suggesting i5 2500k]

Mobo-Intel DH67BL-B3-5.6K

Ram-Corsair xms3 2X4gb-3.3k or Gskill ripjaws X 2X4gb-3.4k

Psu-Seasonic s12ii 620w-4.6k or Corsair tx650v2-5.2k

Gpu-i would suggest you to wait for Amd hd7XXX series which will release in q1 2012.

Case-Nzxt gamma-2.1k

Hdd-seagate 1tb 7200rpm-6k

Total-33k,you will have 15k to add gpu,you will get 7850 or 7870 till prices calm down.

what about gigabyte motherboard? and secondly is AMD have guts against intel from the one which i choose?

Intel after sales service is not good, i think this because of some issue in past which i face with intel.

how are these board "ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3" , "Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3R" and "Asus SABERTOOTH-P67 32GB DDR3 Intel Motherboard" ?

How is the A.S.S of asrock here?

and for memory i am thinking on these-:

G.skill Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600MHz

I'll start with basics.

CPU speed is subjective. What is not, is that the slowest part of a PC is the hard disk.

So you are looking at an SSD, say 60GB and a storage disk (which should also be quick, but not necessarily so). Ideal combo here is a 60GB SSD and a WD Black 1 or 2TB. Even a relatively older system upgraded with an SSD will feel very different (much quicker!) than a modern CPU paired with a conventional Hard disk. Plus, SSD prices are falling fast and it's a good time to get one. My Agility 3 gets me 500MB/s read and 450MB/s write, and feels very snappy even with a slow Athlon 620.

This will eat up about 12k off your budget.

Next, for a designer who will typically be using more than one piece of software at a time - say one vector and one photo finishing program minimum, a large amount of RAM is needed, I would say 16GB is minimum here.

This is another 8k gone.

My opinion is that this 20k is money well-spent.

Designers typically do not need much GPU power. Or frame buffer. A 6850 or GTX550 (choose your devil) should be plenty to hold off till the end of next year.

A decent power supply to run all of this will end up costing you about 5k - either a Corsair VX550 or similar. 500W is plenty for this kind of a system. Add in a case, and now you're hitting about 40k without a CPU or a motherboard.

With the 20-22k left over, I'm not sure what you can get Intel-wise, but a 1100T and a 970X board will have all the bells and whistles you need, and be plenty fast. For a lot of design and render tasks, the AMD will be equally quick or quicker than the equivalent i5 2300, which is pretty much all you'll get at that kind of money.

Good Luck.

There's no need for p67/z68 mobo cause you are not going to get i5 2500k and no ocing,just get the GIGABYTE GA-H67M-D2-B3-5.4k or Intel DH67BL-B3-5.6K,Gskill ripjaws X or Xms3 2X4gb will do no need to go for sniper.

If you really want 1600mhz ram support then go for Asus p8p67-10.5k,GIGABYTE GA-P67A-UD3-B3-9.8k
viva1986 said:
Intel after sales service is not good, i think this because of some issue in past which i face with intel.

how are these board "ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3" , "Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3R" and "Asus SABERTOOTH-P67 32GB DDR3 Intel Motherboard" ?

How is the A.S.S of asrock here?

and for memory i am thinking on these-:

G.skill Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600MHz

You will need to invest in a nVIDIA GPU if the software he uses is CUDA enabled. Get the 2500k + z68 combo w/ 4 RAM slots pref. Invest now in 2x4GB and later on upgrade to 16GB (add another 2x4GB).

cranky said:
I'll start with basics.

CPU speed is subjective. What is not, is that the slowest part of a PC is the hard disk.

So you are looking at an SSD, say 60GB and a storage disk (which should also be quick, but not necessarily so). Ideal combo here is a 60GB SSD and a WD Black 1 or 2TB. Even a relatively older system upgraded with an SSD will feel very different (much quicker!) than a modern CPU paired with a conventional Hard disk. Plus, SSD prices are falling fast and it's a good time to get one. My Agility 3 gets me 500MB/s read and 450MB/s write, and feels very snappy even with a slow Athlon 620.

This will eat up about 12k off your budget.

Next, for a designer who will typically be using more than one piece of software at a time - say one vector and one photo finishing program minimum, a large amount of RAM is needed, I would say 16GB is minimum here.

This is another 8k gone.

My opinion is that this 20k is money well-spent.

Designers typically do not need much GPU power. Or frame buffer. A 6850 or GTX550 (choose your devil) should be plenty to hold off till the end of next year.

A decent power supply to run all of this will end up costing you about 5k - either a Corsair VX550 or similar. 500W is plenty for this kind of a system. Add in a case, and now you're hitting about 40k without a CPU or a motherboard.

With the 20-22k left over, I'm not sure what you can get Intel-wise, but a 1100T and a 970X board will have all the bells and whistles you need, and be plenty fast. For a lot of design and render tasks, the AMD will be equally quick or quicker than the equivalent i5 2300, which is pretty much all you'll get at that kind of money.

Good Luck.

As always, another excellent post from you. But I cannot give you reps!

Op has celarly stated he's not interested in ocing so i5 2500k will be a waste of money.
vivek.krishnan said:
You will need to invest in a nVIDIA GPU if the software he uses is CUDA enabled. Get the 2500k + z68 combo w/ 4 RAM slots pref. Invest now in 2x4GB and later on upgrade to 16GB (add another 2x4GB).

vivek.krishnan said:

Most current design software is not CUDA enabled, actually.

The 2500k is not useful if there's no overclocking. For professional applications (where user requires the PC to earn livelihood) reliability is far more important than outright speed, so a 2500 may be an equally decent choice, and at a better price.

Along similar lines, the H67 is sufficient for the user if the overclocking feature is not to be used. As a matter of fact apart from some dual-GPU applications the Z68 is useful only for bragging rights - the P67 is a capable enough chipset. I doubt you will see any perceptible difference between the three chipsets at an absolute performance level, it's only the features that get enhanced as you move up the line.

The RAM can be upgraded later, but the point was the system should have enough grunt and snappiness from the get-go. Again, for pros the lesser downtime the better and a higher upfront cost can be offset against higher productivity. Overall CPU performance is not very important (or not much difference beyond a given point) when working on graphics software, it's far more important to be able to deal with large files in memory and multi-task between applications. And therefore the recommendation.

Given that DDR3 has at least another two years of life left, a full platform upgrade midway may not be an issue as pretty much everything else in the build is a long-term purchase. At one level one has to balance one's needs with the performance required and money available, and in this specific case the AMD config is actually better if one starts with a large memory bank and a fast storage subsystem. This is where 90% of the action will be for a graphic designer. It gets a little more complex for 3D design where CPU and GPU performance comes into play but in those cases the system outlay is usually far more as well, so it tends to even out.

As always, another excellent post from you. But I cannot give you reps!

Thanks, and I don't post for reps anyway. Never have. I'm glad it's of some help and appreciate the kind words :)

thanks cranky you change my mind totally so according to you I should use SSD as main drive and normal HDD as storage drive and for RAM which one is better Ripjaws or XMS3 or sniper?

^^The one with the lowest latency at the lowest voltage. Brand matters very little in this specific case.

Or the cheapest if all of them are CL9 kits.

Guys what is this upto? i5 series with 4 threads? If he is going to be doing graphics designing and that too professional then he will need upto 8 threads as rendering requires it. I would recommend i7-2600 for it and why you don't want to overclock? Overclock does take some extra cost but your rendering/business will be epic fast. the "k" series will also sell for a higher value than the non k.

Finally important components which i chose-:

Disk Drive-:

1. SSD-: OCZ Agility 60GB 3 SATA III 2.5inch Solid Sata Drive (AGT3-25SAT3-60G)

Price-: Rs.7200/= approx.

2. HDD-: Seagate 1 TB SATA Desktop 3.5" Internal HDD

Price-: Rs.6000/= approx.

RAM-:

1. G.skill Ripjaws Z 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3 1600MHz Desktop RAM (F3-12800CL9Q-16GBZL)

Price-: Rs.7100/= approx.

Proccy-:

1. AMD X6 1090 T Black Edition

Price-: Rs.8800/= approx.

PSU-:

1. Corsair 650TX

Price-: Rs. 6100/= approx.

Cabinet-:

1. CM Elite 431

Price-: Rs. 3200/= approx.

GFX-:

1. SAPPHIRE HD 6850 1GB GDDR5 PCIE

Price-: Rs. 9500/= approx.

MB-:

1. GIGABYTE GA-970A-D3/1.1

Price-: Rs. 7250/= approx.

OS-:

1. Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit Retail Pack

Price-: Rs. 12290/= approx.

All Prices are from the sites of Primeabgb, Theitdepot and SMC International.

The Agility should be closer to 6.5k if you hunt a bit.

At 3k plus, isn't an Antec or NZXT a better choice than a Coolermaster case? I have an Elite 360 which use notepad pages for side panels.

Finally, look at a VX or HX series even if it's lower wattage. The system will be fine with a good 500/550W supply, no need to get something from the TX series which is overall specced lower.

Good call on pretty much everything else. I would imagine you would be able to get slightly lower prices if you prowled NP for a day.

Finally My friend and i purchased the RIG for him. here are the final winners:

1. Proccy-: AMD FX 8120 B'dozer series

2. MB-: Asus M5A97 (Both for Rs.18500/=)

3. HDD-: WD Caviar Black 1TB (Rs.7500/=)

4. Mem-: Corsair Vengeance 4GBx2 (Rs.3600/=)

5. PSU-: Corsair GS600 (Rs.4200/=

6. GFX-: Sapphire 6770 1GB (Rs.6100/= not sure on this)

7. Cabinet-: CM 431 (Rs.2900/=)

8. DVD-: HP Box pack (Rs.1100/= confused on this)

9. SSD-: Waiting for sata3 prices to be slashed down (according to Mr. Gurmeet Singh of SMC inter.)

overall Damages-: 43900/=

Purchsed everything from SMC international Good shop for reliable buy with good suggestions.

Back