PRM

Disciple
HI

wana buy one of these lense

18-200mm

28-300mm

80-200mm

I already have 18-55mm lense with me.

would like to which one is better for amature photography and what is the best price i can get.

Regards

Bro the best one is the 70-300mm AF-S VR3, its available for some around 38k in India, while the same you can buy for $550 around in the US, i am planning to get the same lens, if you get this let me know
<

38K for an starter lens ?? That imo is pointless.

A few things to consider

- f-stop. A lens with lower fstop will give you a shallower depth of feild

- Focus; Some nikon lenses focus automatically , some do not. Is that important to you?

- I could be wrong on this one , but DX & FX lenses do not mix. I.e. If you have a DX ( D5000) then you cannot use full frame lens on this body.

You honestly need to put up more information ; at least budget to let opinions pour in.

Unfortunately, like the Canon stable Nikon does not have an equivalent of the 55-250mm IS. However the 55-200 VR should serve a VFM purpose too.

BTW what is your primay purpose, and what body do you have?

Bro the best one is the 70-300mm AF-S VR3, its available for some around 38k in India, while the same you can buy for $550 around in the US, i am planning to get the same lens, if you get this let me know
<

Just a little correction, the lens has VR II and its available for around 26 - 28k.
<

38K for an starter lens ?? That imo is pointless.

A few things to consider

- f-stop. A lens with lower fstop will give you a shallower depth of feild

- Focus; Some nikon lenses focus automatically , some do not. Is that important to you?

- I could be wrong on this one , but DX & FX lenses do not mix. I.e. If you have a DX ( D5000) then you cannot use full frame lens on this body.

You honestly need to put up more information ; at least budget to let opinions pour in.

I appreciate your initiative in helping the OP but a lot of information you have provided is not fully correct and this can confuse a newbie even more.

First off the 70-300mm VR is one of the best lenses in its class and is beaten only by the Canon 70-300mm L IS lens which costs > $1000

Secondly its true that a lens with a lower f stop will give you a shallower DOF, but using the lens at 200mm or 300mm will give you a very shallow DOF anyways.

Your third point about some lenses not having autofocus is very relavant and the OP will definitely need to keep that in mind when making his purchase.
<

Your fourth point unfortunately is incorrect. Both DX and FX lenses can be used on DX and FX bodies. However using a DX lens on an FX body will cause the FX body to revert to a crop mode and you won't get the full focal length of the lens.

HI

wana buy one of these lense

18-200mm

28-300mm

80-200mm

I already have 18-55mm lense with me.

would like to which one is better for amature photography and what is the best price i can get.

Regards

The best thing to do is decide on what more you want to do first. After that decide on a budget. Else you will get answers that won't satisfy your requirements.

Secondly its true that a lens with a lower f stop will give you a shallower DOF, but using the lens at 200mm or 300mm will give you a very shallow DOF anyways.

Agreed,it is still something to research while picking one up. To me FOV is very important. A shallow DOF at 300 is of little use to me;When i moved from the stock to a 1.8G 50mm it was a game changer for me. At times I even feel 50 mm is too tight.

More precisely; this is more of what-you-want-to-shoot-and-what-is-your-budget tie breaker from OP.

Regardless, amazing budget for a starter; Good luck
<

PRM, from your initial post I can see that you are looking at telephoto zooms. 18-200mm VR is a great lens although I don't know if it fits in your budget. However, from my personal experience I found that I've not needed much more zoom range than the 18-55 kit lens provided. Perhaps 200mm would have been useful in some situations but that did not justify the cost and the weight for me. I just crop an image taken at 55mm and blow-up the cropped section in post processing and found that the image was great.

Where I found the 18-55, 18-200 and other lenses were lacking is low-light photography without flash. I think this is the one of the areas where DSLRs excel due to the large sensors and have an edge over compact cameras. A good, fast lens for those dinner parties or indoor gatherings is a great addition to your lens collection.

I would recommend the Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G: this lens has good low light capabilities and provides a "normal" focal length. It also a very good lens for the price which is around 13k. If you do need the telephoto for certain situations I would recommend the 55-200mm VR(8k?)

Also, on long day trips I found a couple of times that my battery drains before the trip is over and I have to shoot the remainder of the photos with my backup compact camera. This is specially true when I'm using continuos shooting mode or flash. Depending on your usage I would recommend a backup battery for your DSLR also.

All the above recommendations are based on my personal experience and opinion.

Back