[Suggestion] Forex Cards

Punker

Skilled
Guys need your help for forex card. I'm going to UK for 5 months in September and I need forex card. I already have debit card but my bank have international credit card only no debit card. Please suggest me from where should I get forex card and what will the charges(swapping, ATM withdrawal, reloading). Also, should I go for pre-paid cards or post-paid cards.

TIA,
Punker

choose a prepaid card. you can top it up if needed ( there is a topup form in the package) sign it and keep it with family, they can walk into the bank and top it up for you.

in the uk credit card has charges, debit cards don't. hence a forex card is critical. in the uk you need to have chip cards, not the regular swipe cards. swiping a swipe card will entail signing slips to ensure that you were present at the site, additionally for purchases. so a chip card is required!

i picked up the axis bank forex card for my official trip. its a chip card in uk pounds. its called the UK Pound card.

it works anywhere ( other countries in europe where i travelled for business) and converts to UK pounds. this is the best bet. quite reliable, go for it!

in the end, and i cannot stress more - get a chip card!

^ what are the top up charges and can chip card be used for buying things online, ATM withdrawal ?

I will be using that card to buy things online, from stores, ATM withdrawal.

babhishek said:
choose a prepaid card. you can top it up if needed ( there is a topup form in the package) sign it and keep it with family, they can walk into the bank and top it up for you.

in the uk credit card has charges, debit cards don't. hence a forex card is critical. in the uk you need to have chip cards, not the regular swipe cards. swiping a swipe card will entail signing slips to ensure that you were present at the site, additionally for purchases. so a chip card is required!

i picked up the axis bank forex card for my official trip. its a chip card in uk pounds. its called the UK Pound card.

it works anywhere ( other countries in europe where i travelled for business) and converts to UK pounds. this is the best bet. quite reliable, go for it!

in the end, and i cannot stress more - get a chip card!
so you mean that a person cannot swipe cards while in UK?? i have been doing it since ages and no one had any issues.. i did have a chip card from Lloyds.. but i had an hdfc forex card too w/o chip.. and it worked flawlessly..

kauzy said:
so you mean that a person cannot swipe cards while in UK?? i have been doing it since ages and no one had any issues.. i did have a chip card from Lloyds.. but i had an hdfc forex card too w/o chip.. and it worked flawlessly..

when did i *mean* that?

i said swiping regular cards in the UK entails signing additional forms for verification. this is only possible at manned stores, where they take physical impressions of your cards , make you sign twice and is a pain in the ass......
also you need to carry a passport all the time to swipe a regular magnetic card as a proof of ID is required.

a chip card is much better!!!!!!!

explanation for text in bold: FYI, EMV is the standard implemented in Chip Cards. note underlined bold text on why you need to sign additional slips ( to prove that you were physically authorixing the merchant to charge the card and to prevent any fraud claims)

Differences and benefits of EMV

The purpose and goal of the EMV standard is to specify interoperability between EMV compliant IC cards and EMV compliant credit card payment terminals throughout the world. There are two major benefits to moving to smart card based credit card payment systems: improved security (with associated fraud reduction), and the possibility for finer control of "offline" credit card transaction approvals. One of the original goals of EMV was to allow for multiple applications to be held on a card: for instance, a credit and debit card application or an e-purse.

EMV chip card transactions improve security against fraud compared to magnetic stripe card transactions that rely on the holder's signature and visual inspection of the card to check for features such as hologram. The use of a PIN and cryptographic algorithms such as DES, Triple-DES, RSA and SHA provide authentication of the card to the processing terminal and the card issuer's host system. The processing time is comparable to online transactions, in which communications delay accounts for the majority of the time, while cryptographic operations take comparatively little time. The supposed increased protection from fraud has allowed banks and credit card issuers to push through a 'liability shift' such that merchants are now liable (as from 1 January 2005 in the EU region) for any fraud that results from transactions on systems that are not EMV capable.[2] For transactions in which an EMV card is used, the cardholder is assumed to be liable unless they can unquestionably prove they were not present for the transaction, did not authorize the transaction, and did not inadvertently assist the transaction through PIN disclosure.

read the article below for a heads up.

How my trip to the U.K. left me with a chip on my shoulder! | Just ask Gemalto

wikipedia article:

Debit card - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

-----

@OP: yes you can make online purchases. you need to register the card through VBV online when you get the card from your bank/ travel agent.
the card has an online login , uid, password. you need to login and setup the VBV which is required.

also, you can monitor the charges online and print statements.

in terms of forex charges, i have seen that there is one time forex conversion at the bank rate when you or some one else on your behalf credits the card in INR.
again, there is no commission here, because RBI Bank rates are followed.

in short, for ease of use, hassle free usage, ensure you have a chip card.

Back