Storage Solutions Suggestion Needed: Unusual temps on one NVME, another NVME on laptop runs as usual

tech.monk

Adept
Observing this for few weeks now

Kingston SA2000M8250G

1687847330681.png

Another one which is working as usual

Samsung MZALQ512HALU-000L1

1687847387195.png

Anyone observed this or replacing Kingston SSD is the way to go as both the NVME are in warranty.

Last edited:
Could you provide the laptop model? Some of the laptops have nvme slots in a location near CPU/GPU/above wifi etc., this would further increase the temps. Seeing the health and usage hours no immediate red flags. SMI controllers do run a tad hotter than others. What're the highest temps you may have observed while regular/heavy use (HWinfo would help)? Nonetheless, if you can afford to have it sent for warranty then sure go ahead.

Last edited:
Thinkpad E14 11th Gen i5 has Iris Xe Graphics (no dGPU). I tried monitoring with the CoreTemp - CPU runs cool unless I'm grinding it myself by putting in extra load during stream processing or compiling.

As someone highlighted, the slot location matters. Same goes for desktop storage.
What you can do is swipe the ssd places and observe if you are facing the same issue or the other ssd in that same slot gives out the same temps.

Last edited:
Thinkpad E14 11th Gen i5 has Iris Xe Graphics (no dGPU). I tried monitoring with the CoreTemp - CPU runs cool unless I'm grinding it myself by putting in extra load during stream processing or compiling.
It also depends on make and model of ssd as well,

1687893784409.png

the first one will run at those temps regardless of what i do and goes to 55-56 while gaming, you wont believe but the hotter one has active cooling with heatsink and chipset fans blowing on it.
Second one is installed on back of the board with heatsink over it and generally stays under 40c.

SSD temps depend on the model as well, unless the SSD is crossing 65C & hitting 70C consistently, no need to worry.

My Gigabyte Aorus Gen4 SSD runs around 50C under normal usage (web browsing, etc), this is on a desktop & the SSD has a heatsink over it. I have used HP EX920 & Intel 660p, former used to run hotter on my laptop than the latter irrespective of the slot, have tried interchanging slots to see if affects temps.

Thanks all for your reply. I will proceed with RMA of Kingston and swap it with another momentarily as NVME seems to be available at decent prices (might consider this as upgrade ;)).

Other than the slot location and airflow, another thing that I wanted to add...Different manufacturers tend to monitor and report thermals differently. Some SSDs have reported temps closer to actuals, while others have a large deviations. Some report temps for controller and NANDs separately.
I have many laptops and all the SSDs, ranging from efficient Gold P31 to hot-running 970 Evo Plus, report idle temps in the range of 40-50 Celsius. I am rather curious about the low temp of Samung SSD as they usually run hot.

Last edited:
Other than the slot location and airflow, another thing that I wanted to add...Different manufacturers tend to monitor and report thermals differently. Some SSDs have reported temps closer to actuals, while others have a large deviations. Some report temps for controller and NANDs separately.
I have many laptops and all the SSDs, ranging from efficient Gold P31 to hot-running 970 Evo Plus, report idle temps in the range of 40-50 Celsius. I am rather curious about the low temp of Samung SSD as they usually run hot.
970 evo plus had some of its parts changed a year or so ago apparently, post that temps became higher from what I heard.

Back