Budget 41-50k Suggestion on Laptop

Trickshot17

Disciple
Im might be travelling often. So im looking for good laptop to carry around. Needed it to be weightless and good looking too :p. Gaming is not so important as i do own a desktop too. But gaming is a plus. Budget around 50k. Here are few things i thought might be good. And i can avail student offer too if it has any.

HP Pavilion Ryzen 5
MSI Modern 14

Thanks in advance.

I don't understand benchmarks etc. and never used any Ryzen laptop.
Gaming in a laptop is not a very good idea. If you travel a lot, get something lightweight with decent battery life ( and 3 years warranty if possible)

Hi there here are a few options,
Personally in your budget I'd go for the the one with Amazon link, also just to cover all bases if someone I know were coming in from US I'd tell the to get a refurbed Macbook Air with an M1 chip from the apple store given the option.

Last edited:
You can look at this model

It exceeds your budget, but can't find anything good under 50k. There are a few models with Ryzen 5 3500U processor, which is a decent processor, but 2 years old now. I have a Vivobook myself with Ryzen 5 3500U. Very satisfied with almost 1 year's use.

In general, look for an MVMe SSD and 8 GB of RAM.

Any laptop with a dedicated GPU will be heavy. So I don't recommend those if you're going to be carrying it a lot. Besides, Ryzen APU will enable some light gaming to while away your free time.

The MSI modern 14 (i3 10110u) is a great laptop and imo better than the asus vivobook(ryzen 5 4500u) (have both at my home).
The modern 14's display is better and brighter than the vivobook.
The body is aluminium which heats a bit more than plastic but feels better. MSI has the thinner and lighter body.
The keyboard on the vivobook is a bit better but the backlight on the Modern 14 is better.
Battery life on my intel MSI and the ryzen vivobook are almost the same but would expect bit more battery from the ryzen MSI (not sure).
If the vivobook with the 5500u has improved in these areas that might be worth a look else go for the MSI modern 14.

You can look at this model

It exceeds your budget, but can't find anything good under 50k. There are a few models with Ryzen 5 3500U processor, which is a decent processor, but 2 years old now. I have a Vivobook myself with Ryzen 5 3500U. Very satisfied with almost 1 year's use.

In general, look for an MVMe SSD and 8 GB of RAM.

Any laptop with a dedicated GPU will be heavy. So I don't recommend those if you're going to be carrying it a lot. Besides, Ryzen APU will enable some light gaming to while away your free time.
Literally suggested him an HP with the exact same specs and cheaper

Literally suggested him an HP with the exact same specs and cheaper
You're right. I was just giving another option to the OP for variety of reasons:
  1. OP will have the option to compare across brands, look up reviews for build quality, support, etc.
  2. OP might have a brand preference. Not that I'd pay 5k extra for the same config, but based on personal experience, I prefer Asus over HP.
  3. Prices keep going up and down. Maybe the OP will buy 2 weeks from now and by that time prices would have changed.
  4. Availability keeps changing. One laptop might go out of stock by the time the OP actually goes to order.
  5. There are minor variations in features. Asus is 60 grams lighter, has a fingerprint sensor, and an extra USB port
  6. I have seen HP cheap out on certain features people don't easily notice. Last year my friend bought an HP laptop for ~45k. The laptop doesn't support 5 Ghz wi-fi. It's impossible to imagine this for a 2020 model.
At the end of the day, it's the OP's call to take. I did not say that my suggestion was the best model or that the other suggestions were not worth considering.

That's the problem with suggesting stuff. People have had such varied experiences, you never know if your experience is indicative of the usual or just a coincidence.

My first HP laptop was a confident buy in 2013, thinking HP is good. But it didn't do very well, developed problems very soon.

On the other hand, I was apprehensive about buying Asus last year, but then went ahead anyway. And it turned out to be a real good buy.

That's the problem with suggesting stuff. People have had such varied experiences, you never know if your experience is indicative of the usual or just a coincidence.

My first HP laptop was a confident buy in 2013, thinking HP is good. But it didn't do very well, developed problems very soon.

On the other hand, I was apprehensive about buying Asus last year, but then went ahead anyway. And it turned out to be a real good buy.
That's why you should place too much importance on anecdotal experiences, especially for small sample sizes.
Dell, HP, Asus and then Acer all all global brands with pan india presence and should have half decent after sales service. One bad expereince should not matter a lot unless the factor behind that bad experience is expected to be fixed.
MSI should be avoided because they have an unusually high rate of after sales horror stories.

That's why you should place too much importance on anecdotal experiences, especially for small sample sizes.
Dell, HP, Asus and then Acer all all global brands with pan india presence and should have half decent after sales service. One bad expereince should not matter a lot unless the factor behind that bad experience is expected to be fixed.
MSI should be avoided because they have an unusually high rate of after sales horror stories.
Absolutely true.

One more important thing to look for is how easily repairable a laptop is. I bought a Dell laptop for my dad. After 3 years, it started running slow, so I thought of upgrading it to 8 GB RAM and an SSD. I had done this on my own HP laptop with no issues. However, the Dell laptop was a nightmare to open. I literally had to take off the keyboard to just access the RAM and HDD slots, that too after removing the back cover. I looked up a few videos on YouTube and eventually gave up on the idea and just called a mechanic from a nearby repair shop. Had they designed their laptops like HP, I could have easily done that myself.

Back