Suggestions for a 1-Ton split AC

Congrats on purchase! just wanted to know why brands like Fujitsu General, Daikin, Carrier, Hitachi are so costly? are they any special advantages of using these over Samsung, LG, Videocon etc?

The_Falcon said:
I was wondering if this A/c can be mounted onto the ceiling. Are there any such installation instructions witht the booklet you got with it ?
I don't think you could do that or at least the manufacturer doesn't suggest mounting it on the ceiling. There is an installation instruction page bundled with the manual but it's pretty big. More like an A1 size sheet which is folded. Will scan it from the company's scanner, upload it somewhere and pass the link.

If you can PM me tonight, I'll take that as a reminder and keep it ready for tomorrow. Might forget otherwise.

Gaurish said:
Congrats on purchase! just wanted to know why brands like Fujitsu General, Daikin, Carrier, Hitachi are so costly? are they any special advantages of using these over Samsung, LG, Videocon etc?
Well there are a lot of reasons. For one, all the above brands are considered to be in the top-tier segment with almost all the models imported as-is. Not even CKDs! Besides, their compressors are made-in-Japan (except Carrier i.e.), are mighty efficient and do not break down easily over a period of time. They are pretty silent during operation as well. So they demand a premium over the desi brands such as Blue Star and Voltas.

The_Falcon said:
Are there any such installation instructions witht the booklet you got with it ?
I've got the instructions booklet. Will upload it later today.

Better still, PM me your mail ID so I can send it across. I don't think file hosts are accessible from my workplace. :)

Gannu said:
Well there are a lot of reasons. For one, all the above brands are considered to be in the top-tier segment with almost all the models imported as-is. Not even CKDs! Besides, their compressors are made-in-Japan (except Carrier i.e.), are mighty efficient and do not break down easily over a period of time. They are pretty silent during operation as well. So they demand a premium over the desi brands such as Blue Star and Voltas.
Hmmm....followup question:-

so over normal brands, what are real world advantages?

* Do I save on electricity costs?

* Better cooling?

* Longer life or lower maintenance ?

Lastly, are they worth the extra price aka VFM?

1. Savings - comparing a Desi brand and a phoren one, both of them having similar power ratings and rated the same star by BEE, there may not be any savings. Marginal if there are.

2. Better cooling - definitely. The phoren brand would cool the room a lot quicker than the Indian make. This is primarily due to the efficient compressor.

3. Longer life or lower maintenance - maybe. The Indian makes aren't too bad in comparison but you end up paying close to 1.5~2x the price for a Fujitsu General/Hitachi compared to the Voltas. For instance, a 1T 5 star rated AC from Voltas Vertis was close to 16k and the General counterpart was around 31k. Vijay Sales ex-pricing. So definitely expensive.

Other than these, the build quality of the units are good. And the indoor units are fairly silent during operation.

Any idea of market pricing of the Voltas Vertis 1.0 Ton Split ACs? Even 2 or 3 stars would do since my A/C usage is also for ~4-5 months only.

Also any comments on quality of these? Just wanted to get a heads up before searching for an A/C!! Sorry for hijacking the thread.

Room Size: 12x11x10 - Will 1T AC suffice?

hello every1...i am in a huge dillema...going for 1.5 ton split AC...for d summers only..i guess..for around 5 hrs a day...
dont care much about the star ratings....

here are the options i am getting around here(rajasthan)
1.Panasonic econ pearl -3 star- MRP Rs.24500

2.Onida 18trd3-3star-MRP Rs 25700

3.Videocon VGS53.CVE1-CM- 3 star- MRP Rs 22900

4.Whirlpool chrome III - 3star- MRP Rs 26500
any first hand experience would be very helpful...i am leaning towards the panasonic considering the JAPANESE QUALITY..but the salesman say its new in the market...and on the other hand ONIDA uses HITACHI compressers...but it looks awful...
i like how the whirlpool looks...

and the videcon has superb VFM...

plz advice...going for it tommorow..

THANX
PS: i am also open for other models...but i have a low budget...cannot afford HITACHI or DAIKIN ,CARRIER etc

Forgot to update! Got a minor niggle with the remote. :ashamed:

The remote interferes with my Philips HTIB. When I switch off/on the unit, the receiver of the HTIB does the same. i.e if the receiver is on, it switches off and vice-versa.

A small annoyance. :mad:

Gannu, should I go for cube 1.5 for a 230sq ft room?

The Panasonic showroom guy told me that the cube's plastic is of cheap quality (too white), it will become yellow in a year or so, also he said that the the air just reaches 8-9 ft, instead of the usual 15ft. What do you say?

The throw of the air is slightly low - agreed. Possibly owing to the axial fan instead of the centrifugal type. Discoloration might happen - it did for my Carrier Estrella 1.5 tonner back at home. It has faded. :p

For 16k, it does what it is supposed to without much niggles. If build quality and performance matters, you will have to shell out more. You might be able to squeeze a 1 tonner Hitachi or a Fuj. General in that price then. Something like 25k I am betting.

^which btw is pretty good. I could've gone with that model but it was slightly over my budget at some 23k. Although initially I had a 25k budget, we decided to keep some monies apart for another cause. So went with the cheaper one.

Oh. I need a 1.5T. The Panasonic one costs 25K according to the dealer + installation I guess, but I haven't negotiated with him.

@ gannu , thanks for your update. Its getting as hot as megan fox here in delhi and i need an AC sson...:p

I'm getting a good deal on lloyd 1ton and the panasonic guys are not too interested in selling stuff as the market demand is too high.

But based on your suggestion, i am ready to wait, do u actually think cube is worth? frankly , the idea of a non directed flow doesnt excite me much

rgds.

I had decided on the cube but wifey has rejected it due its shape/ look
Now i am going for ETA 1 ton split for 20500.
Anyone have experienced it here.
They are oem for general ac

Back