OC & Modding Suggestions for a AMD AM2+ Processor cooler

Tarcxy

Disciple
Hi guys,

I completed building my PC a month back. I have a X3 720BE and a AM2+ board. I noticed that my CPU touches 35 to 40 deg celcius while idle and goes upto 50 on load. I live in Chennai and the place where my PC is the corner of the room. No AC. Room temperatures are moderate.

So, I guess the temps are normal. I havent updated the bios. Maybe the sensors are wrong. What do you think guys..
Anyway, I intend to bring the temps down. I will surely OC after a few months. Could you suggest any decent HSF..Budget 3k max. (Wouldnt mind going the extra bit if its really worth it)

One more thing. Could you also tell me what are the tests (stability tests, performance tests, etc..) you would normally perform once you build a PC..

Welcome to TE.

50c @ load is fine.

In 3k budget, Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme (TRU120E) + Amigo 120MM fan is best combo.

OCCT/Orthos/Prime95/Memtest/Latest Games/Cinebench/RTHDRIBL for stability test.

Super Pi/3D mark/Crysis Bench/HDTach/Cinebench for performance testing.

Thank you Sidhu..How much CFM would you recommend..I guess anything around 90 to 100CFM would do the job..
BTW, would a left 120mm fan for my CM690 be required considering the hot chennai climate, or am I worrying too much..

I will reccommend 150CFM if u can tolerate noise :p

Yeah 80-90CFM is sweetspot, 2k rpm~, not very loudy.

Amigo fan is 70CFM.

UR temps r fine, left fan will fill ur case w/ dust.

Its not Hard Drive, that you start worrying @ 50c.

Sidhu, why does one need 80-90cfm on TRUE for 24x7 use? :S

60-70 cfm is the sweet spot for right balance between noise and adequate airflow for 24x7 use on a TRUE imho. :)

With dual core chips, even a 40cfm odd fan works decently on a TRUE.

Amigo120mm is not a 3 pin mobo-header type fan and i wouldn't suggest that to anyone for cpu cooling- it's ok as a cheapo fan for case cooling. :)

Thanx guys..I might order a TRUE and OCZFreeze this week. Still un-deciced on the fan however. How about this one..CoolerMaster 90 CFM BlueLED 120mm 2,000 R.P.M 90CFM and the noise level is 19dBA.

How come this fan at 2000RPM and 90CFM have less noise than Scythe Slip Stream (1600rpm, 88CFM and 33dBa)

CM fan costs around Rs500. Is this fan any good?... If not, any other good fans out there?..
Amigo fan is unavailable here. Anyway I do have an last option of ordering online from lynx-india.

I would not suggest that fan for a cpu cooler. Its good as a case fan, but falls short as a cpu one. Get the thermaltake thunderblade or a scythe if u can. The scycthe shows actual db and cfm as compared to the cm one, which I believe is not 90 cfm.

Sorry for bumping it. I still havent bought the hsf yet :( due to budget probs.
Anyway, I saw in thermalright's website that i need a AM2+ backplate for a TRUE. I dont have a OEM AM2+ backplate. I have mailed prime and lynx asking whether they have backplates and am waiting for their reply.
I hope they have it. If not, do you guys know any place I could get it. I am in Chennai.

And I have a gigabyte 780G board (MA790GP-UD4H). I guess in a AM2+ board, TRUE can be mounted only in 2 ways. Either facing up or down. The problem is with my RA. They are OCZ reaper ddr2 ones (with those heatpipes on the top of them). If I mount TRUE facing upwards, would there be any clearance issues with the RAM.
Any idea guys..Anyone have some similar config..Pls help
BTW I have a CM690 case.

Tarcxy said:
Sorry for bumping it. I still havent bought the hsf yet :( due to budget probs.
Anyway, I saw in thermalright's website that i need a AM2+ backplate for a TRUE. I dont have a OEM AM2+ backplate. I have mailed prime and lynx asking whether they have backplates and am waiting for their reply.
I hope they have it. If not, do you guys know any place I could get it. I am in Chennai.

And I have a gigabyte 780G board (MA790GP-UD4H). I guess in a AM2+ board, TRUE can be mounted only in 2 ways. Either facing up or down. The problem is with my RA. They are OCZ reaper ddr2 ones (with those heatpipes on the top of them). If I mount TRUE facing upwards, would there be any clearance issues with the RAM.
Any idea guys..Anyone have some similar config..Pls help
BTW I have a CM690 case.

Do you intend to OC a lot? As in way north of the stock voltage? It may be worth your time to look at cheaper, smaller Heatsinks. The Thermalright Ultima i90(sweet HS, i doubt you really need anything beyond this), OCZ Vanquisher etc.
Please invest in some decent thermal paste as well. I recommend Tuniq TX2, should be about 150 bucks for a small syringe.

ya

90i is more than enuf for moderate oc upto some 3.9ghz.

TRUE is needed only in case of extreme oc air cooled.

btw, the 90i has proven to be on par with most 120mm coolers. comes close to its big bro TRUE 120.

Not much. I have a Phenom II 720BE. I guess I would be happy at around 3.5 to 3.6 GHz. I am only a novice here. But I intend to learn as I go.
And I was impressed with the reviews of TRUE. Seemed to fit my budget too. Thats why I considered it. But if 90i can withstand upto 3.9 then I guess I might as well buy it. Is it same as Thermalright Ultima-90. Lynx has it in their website. Thermalright Ultima-90. Is this the one?.. I see the price difference with TRUE is only around Rs300.
And this U90i wont have clearance issues?..
Thanx

i'm listing a few depending on your budget you can choose any one of these.

Performance wise Listing

1)Prolimatech Megahalems

2)Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme or True Black

3)Sunbeamtech Core Contact Freezer

4)OCZ Vendetta 2

Price/Performance rankings

1)Sunbeamtech Core Contact Freezer

2)OCZ Vendetta 2

3)Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme or Black

4)Prolimatech Megahalems

Thanx for that. Just read some reviews. Says that u90 only gives 1 or 2 degrees more than TRUE at stock (with scythe 63.7cfm fan). and gives upto 3.9GHz stable OC. Thats is enuugh for me. u90i too needs backplate I guess. Any idea where I can get them?..

Tarcxy said:
And this U90i wont have clearance issues?..

One of the best things about the Ultima 90 is its size. I don't think you will have any clearance issues with it.
You can inquire about backplate/retention stuff from the dealer you buy it from. :)

Back