PC Peripherals Suggestions for a DVD RW drive and media

anupamsinha

Disciple
I am thinking of buying a DVD writer. Presently I am thinking in of going in for Benq DW1640. Please suggest should I stick to this one or is there anyone better than this. Secondly is there anything new in Benq DW1650.

Along with the writer I would also buy DVD media. I don't know much about them. Please suggest which would be a good media. Please specify the type like -R, +R .... etc and make like Moser Baer, Sony etc...

I would like to buy around 10 to 20 DVD writables and probably 1-2 rewritables. Again please suggest which would be a good media. Please specify the type and make.

Also I am in Delhi can you suggest a place and the approx price that I might have to pay for the drive.

Thanks udit for the reply.

Is there any benefit in going in for the DW 1650. Secondly I also read about the 1655 which also has lightscribe. Does 1655 has all the benefits of 1650 and does 1650 has all the benefits of 1640. I am a bit doubtful for 1650 as it seems like a newcomer so probably not many people might have tested it.

Anyways is there anything that 1650 has that 1640 lacked.

One more thing should I rather wait for the Benq DW1670. It has the DVD RAM support. How much does a DVD RAM costs any benefit in going for a DVD RAM.

Also please advice which media should I but along with the drive.

anupamsinha said:
Thanks udit for the reply.

Is there any benefit in going in for the DW 1650. Secondly I also read about the 1655 which also has lightscribe. Does 1655 has all the benefits of 1650 and does 1650 has all the benefits of 1640. I am a bit doubtful for 1650 as it seems like a newcomer so probably not many people might have tested it.

Anyways is there anything that 1650 has that 1640 lacked.

One more thing should I rather wait for the Benq DW1670. It has the DVD RAM support. How much does a DVD RAM costs any benefit in going for a DVD RAM.

Also please advice which media should I but along with the drive.

Do you need LS? That's the only improvement in the 1655 over the 1650, else they are the same drive. Get the 1650, excellent drive, mature firmwares. BETTER than the 1640.

Media -> Get Moser Baer 16X discs, burn them at 12X in the Benq for best results.

No need for -RAM.. the `1670 is a crappy drive, if it's OEM, the Sony 820 is any indication..

Thanks Techhead for the suggestion. I think that even if I use the Lightscribe it usage would be quite less. Surely its not a neccessity. But incase other factors are same I may be tempted to go in for a 1655.

How much does a lightscribe media cost? Is it readily available and whats the cost different between 1650 and 1655.

So Moser Baer it is. secondly should I also buy ReWritable DVDs of Moser Baer. Please also specify that which type of DVD should I buy like -R +R etc.

The lightscribe media is widely available for less than Rs100 (Verbatim discs).

Buy DVD-R if you want greater compatibility with standalones...I just buy the cheaper ones, which is usually -R.

Raghu.

Just a bump for anupamsinha, I too am wondering about the price of the Benq 1655 drives. While lightscribe isnt a *necessary* feature, never hurts to have it ;)

However if the price premium is too high, I would give it a pass.

Back