Suggestions for a Good Router under 10k

meet6600

Adept
Hi,

I have a Belkin Basic Router currently and I am planning to make one time investment for a Good Wifi router for torrents and Dual Band Range. I have seen in the Forum about Asus NT13B1 but I have following requirements:

1) Dual Band
2) 2 USB Ports
3) Torrent Support
4) NTFS External HDD Support

Please suggest some good options so that I can buy one asap.
Thanks

heard about the WD wifi routers. However no idea as to the torrent capability. You can give them a try if it satisfies your demands

Why not spend a bit extra and get ASUS RT-N66U. It's top of the line and rock stable. I can confirm from my personal experience. I have had Cisco, Buffalo and Netgear routers and they have had hangups, crashes, wifi drops but never with ASUS RT-N66U (or any newer ASUS routers for that matter. :) )

Why not spend a bit extra and get ASUS RT-N66U. It's top of the line and rock stable. I can confirm from my personal experience. I have had Cisco, Buffalo and Netgear routers and they have had hangups, crashes, wifi drops but never with ASUS RT-N66U (or any newer ASUS routers for that matter. :) )

The ASUS N66U had lot of issues with its firmware when the outer was released and still many ppl seem to face issues ,
i currently have no clue as to what extent the problem has been fixed with the latest firmware.

I too wanted to buy the N66U but i just postponed it after reading about its issues on the SmallNetBuilder Forum

You can check this ASUS Section @ SmallNetBuilder for loads of discussion around the N66U

Asus RT-N66u with TomatoUSB firmware
RT-N66U official firmware 3.0.0.3_162

I too liked and thought of same but trust me what @Quad Master told stopped me. I know firmware upgrade has settled many issue's but still no stable firmware! even asus nt56u had some troubles but now reviews suggest that it's good now. what i want to know is which one supports tomato or ddwrt as that would help a lot since rt13u b1 with support from ddwrt as per this forum is ultimate option only thing that stops me from buying it is 1 USB Port!!

---------- Post added at 05:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:32 PM ----------

I am myself a good viewer of Small net Builder and wanted to know if at TE people could give me a good recommendation via personal experience or through friends or family!! I decided to get one good high end router once in for all but mixed reviews stopped me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,

After a lot of search I have seen that none of the router can give stable torrent downloading plus making such a investment and then not getting result would pinch a lot. So based on what reviews I have seen from people using the so called high end and high priced too routers I would like to request TE people to suggest me a reasonable Router which can Give me following under 10k:

1) Dual Band for Range
2) 3G Modem Support ( as on Reliance I have seen speeds like 3 to 4 Mbps Download! Starts from 400 Kbps and zooms to Such level all thanks to tower being quite close)
3) 1 USB Port would do
4) DD WRT or Tomato Support just in case stock version is buggy.
5) Good A.S.S. as recent ASUS incidents really show the company is making wonderful products but don't want to support in the same manner. (Though I know these things would work trouble free and won't require a visit unless I run out of luck)

Also I would like to know a few things such as my current set up is a Desktop Wired with Router and 4 Phones, a Printer,a Tablet and Notebook connected wireless (not all connected at same time just to explain how I would use the router) so will I be able to share the 3G Connection on both wired and wireless?

My current Router is almost ready to be on TE Market as currently it's a bit difficult to use it in my 3 BHK Apartment plus with more device's on Wifi I have to stop one or other just to get some connectivity. So please guys recommend some good router's with above mentioned need's under 10k or lower with options like Belkin, TPLink etc. I want to buy it soon now.

I too liked and thought of same but trust me what Quad Master told stopped me. I know firmware upgrade has settled many issue's but still no stable firmware! even asus nt56u had some troubles but now reviews suggest that it's good now. what i want to know is which one supports tomato or ddwrt as that would help a lot since rt13u b1 with support from ddwrt as per this forum is ultimate option only thing that stops me from buying it is 1 USB Port!!

---------- Post added at 05:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:32 PM ----------

I am myself a good viewer of Small net Builder and wanted to know if at TE people could give me a good recommendation via personal experience or through friends or family!! I decided to get one good high end router once in for all but mixed reviews stopped me.

Not completely true. Have been upgrading to ASUS Beta builds and Merlin's rebuilds. ASUS has been actively churning out newer builds every 3 weeks or so. If you are not happy with ASUS's builds then Merlin's builds are very good and plenty stable. My N66 is on Merlin 162.13 build and haven't felt the need to reboot even after 2 weeks of heavy BT use. FYI, I have 15 Mbps line, I seed 600-700 GBs of data every month, :), I have 5 active Wireless clients sucking data from different corners of the flat. I presented these figures to not gloat but to explain my usage pattern. :)

Thanks to the inputs of TE members placed an order for Asus RT-N56U as it had almost everything I wanted plus N66U was atleast 5k more!! Ordered from FK even though they have jacked up Prices like anything but the payment options (emi) plus previous experience of shopping with them is simply up to the mark so right now my Belkin Router is off to TE Market!! :) And Yeah a review too once I get it and once again many thanks to people for suggestions. I am sorry for not going for N66U as It is the best but the price is way too much for me :(

Thanks to the inputs of TE members placed an order for Asus RT-N56U as it had almost everything I wanted plus N66U was atleast 5k more!! Ordered from FK even though they have jacked up Prices like anything but the payment options (emi) plus previous experience of shopping with them is simply up to the mark so right now my Belkin Router is off to TE Market!! :) And Yeah a review too once I get it and once again many thanks to people for suggestions. I am sorry for not going for N66U as It is the best but the price is way too much for me :(

Even i got a N56U today and even though it does not support any sort of 3rd Party Firmwares like DDWRT Tomato its a good Router after reading loads of Reviews on Amazon NewEgg and SmallNetBuilder it looks like a solid product. Its got one of the best routing througput

Got My Asus RT- N56U and Clicked Pics plus set it up nicely with a FW Update! Just One Word Awesome! Review after a week of testing all features properly! :)

Whats the ping time does the asus N56 add,you can check this by directly connecting the RJ 45 Ethernet output of modem or your isp to the computer and then check the same via the router wired Lan output .
Also does the N56 support torrent.

Back